A Job For Lightman

Options
When you change your lights, who ya gonna call?
Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *

Comments

• SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,352
    Options
    Folks say if you are dealing with gas discharge lamps, call Lightman. ;)
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    Options
    Ready and able, Rich and Skip!!!!
  • SCompRacer
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I am adding OEM Xenon HID headlights. It's a little harder than hanging an air freshener on the mirror....lol Wiring isn't too complicated. The HID relay exists in fuse box underhood, but the Body Control Module will need a wire added along with some programming, extra wires to headlight capsules. Same BCM in HID and non-HID vehicle. Fred will figure out the issues in seconds. Who else will? ;) It involves DRL.....daytime running lights...

hid_bulb.jpg

oem_hid.jpg

Halogen.....presently equipped....

halogen.jpg

HID.....same bulb for low and high beam, low beam has shutter that blocks half the light. High beam, shutter opens.

hid.jpg

HID DRL...separate bulb....

hid_drl.jpg
  • cnh
    cnh Posts: 13,284
    edited July 2016
    Options
    It's a bird, it's a plane, no, it's a 500,000 volt electrical arc Lightman1!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6GiIVze2Tac

Having lunch with the Irish Latin scholar from Cornell today. I know you're all jealous!
    Currently orbiting Bowie's Blackstar.!

Polk Lsi-7s, Def Tech 8" sub, HK 3490, HK HD 990 (CDP/DAC), AKG Q701s
    [sig. changed on a monthly basis as I rotate in and out of my stash]
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,079
    Options
    There's only 1 right way to do something and knowing Rich, he only does it the right way! It makes a huge difference.
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • SCompRacer
    edited July 2016
    Options
    nbrowser wrote: »
    SComp, at least it appears your changing the light housings to projector style, a big plus if converting to HID. Too many cars I see on the road and in my shop have had cheap conversions done with existing housings and the HID bulbs are more glaring and so very ineffective at night. Good on you for doing it right!

You know it! If you don't have the shutter blocking the top half of beam, there is no 180 degree top cutoff and you blind oncoming drivers. I do have projector Halogen but the HID are so much better.

It's a pricey upgrade going OEM, but some good deals and nice LKQ parts keep it reasonable. Factory list is $1300 per capsule! I snagged a new left for $225, LKQ right for $275. Underhood harness $125 my cost. Proper terminals for BCM and underhood harness connectors a few bucks each. Even have the proper Brown/Yellow trace wire on the way.

Do you do any GM programming at your shop? The dealer will nick me $140, one hour, to program BCM (Body Control Module). Some dealers won't program beyond factory equipped. I could send the BCM to the guy that programmed my nav radio, but would lose use of the car until I got it back. We must embrace that darn GM Global A Electrical Architecture Security.

With Halogen, low beam is the DRL. The BCM uses PWM (Pulse Width Modulation) to reduce voltage for DRL (Daytime Running Lights). Terminals F9DA and F23DA. When headlights are turned on, PWM ceases and BCM supplies B+ to low beam. High beam is second bulb.

WIth HID, DRL is separate bulb. BCM sends B+ out of same terminals F9DA and F23DA (same as for halogen low beam) but must shut off when headlights turned on. BCM terminal X5 pin 13 must ground HID relay to power headlights.

I try and do right Brock! lol

That ark looks like lightman's beard!

20160708_205729_resized_3_1.jpg

I'll like the Blacked out look of the HID capsules too.

tint_1_sm.jpg
  • jeremymarcinko
    jeremymarcinko Posts: 3,785
    Options
    That's a good looking Chevy!
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
  • SCompRacer
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Thanks! 2015 'Bu, LTZ with 1LTZ, Silver Ice Metallic. OEM rear camera and OEM nav added. Focal component front, coaxial rear, 5 channel amp and sub. Chemical Guys dot com for the supplies and me the labor.

Bought it at one year old, low miles. Clay blocked entire car and glass, light machine polish to get the car wash swirls out, Chem Guys JetSeal and their 5050 Carnauba wax. Carnauba really makes em pop compared to full synthetic waxes. 3M Crystalline tint, 35% max legal here on sides and rear.

tint_2.jpg
  • jeremymarcinko
    jeremymarcinko Posts: 3,785
    Options
    I need do something like that to protect the paint on my new Colorado. I have already been getting scratches behind the door handles from my wife's rings.
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
  • SCompRacer
    edited July 2016
    Options
    3M makes a clear protector mask that could be used for that cause wax or sealers won't help much with that. Check with a tint shop. They use that clear mask for the invisible bras on the front bumper covers.

A good friend turned me on to the Chemical Guys. Great products. Easy to spend money there.

http://www.chemicalguys.com/
  • ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,648
    Options
    I need do something like that to protect the paint on my new Colorado. I have already been getting scratches behind the door handles from my wife's rings.

If you opened the door for her like a gentleman you would't have that problem.
  • SCompRacer
    edited July 2016
    Options
    nbrowser wrote: »

Unfortunately we don't program computers ourselves as we are an all makes/all models shop the cost for the occasional re-program of factory systems would be cost prohibitive equipment and software wise. We do have a guy though who is into complete electronic diagnosis and re-programming. It's his special interest so he's invested in the hardware, software and training on how to do it right, he's the first call if we need that odd and rare programming done.

I hear you. The gear is expensive enough but them subscriptions are costly. The only factory access programming we have here for the fleet is for the Mercedes Sprinter and Isuzu. We only have a few GM vans, so no GM programming.

I was looking into that GM MDI interface and a laptop. Pricey for personal use though. I was told you can't get all the programming software needed with a three day subscription if you supply the laptop.

Authentic Tech 2's are pricey and the Chinese knock offs are cheap, look good but don't function properly. A buddy bought one and he couldn't get it to cycle an ABS motor.
  • Mikey081057
    Mikey081057 Posts: 7,127
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Although polar opposites even his uncle was highly qualified in the field..

tumblr_nc2vzpVaq11t0frvho7_400.gif

My New Year's resolution is 3840 × 2160

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Patio | Polk Atrium 8's | Yamaha R-N303BL |

Office BlueSound Node| KEF LS50 | Peactree Nova 125SE |

Bedroom | Focal 905's | Chromecast Audio |

Garage | Polk Monitor 5B's

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
  • Mikey081057
    Options
    And don't mess with @lightman1 ... he will put 60 Hertz on you!

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
  • lightman1
    Options
    2 Times!
    And don't mess with @lightman1 ... he will put 60 Hertz on you!

• treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,316
    Options
    Hahaha.....I got a "job" for Lightman!

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • Mikey081057
    Options
    His new pic

GQrFS563Yh-12.png

• treitz3
    Options
    wallace-bust-glass.jpg
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • Mikey081057
    Options
    Or is he a relative of the West Virginia Wallace's known to inbreed with ferracity .

hleyr76ekpnd.png

• Mikey081057
    Options
    Sincerely hope our friend @lightman1 and others are safe tonite in Carolinas as storms are moving through... :fearful:

• treitz3
    Options
    Eh, these are just simple Southern afternoon storms. Nothing to worry about in my neck of the woods. Although I will say this.....the lower clouds sure did have a "weird" look to them today. That's about the only thing that's different. Grilling out as we speak...

Shut up Russ. You Putz.

Tom
  • SCompRacer
    Options
    Got 'em installed Saturday! No more work for lightman, just get here and drink beer, burn stuff on the grill now!

nekkid.jpg

cover.jpg

eyeliner.jpg
  • voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    Options
    ^^^^
    Maybe Russ can help Rich find out where all the left over parts go ;)
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • lightman1
    Options
    voltz wrote: »
    ^^^^

In the drawer with the rest from other projects.
  • SCompRacer
    Options
    voltz wrote: »
    ^^^^

I just drink another Fat Tire and forget about it! lol