Help

Options
My CDP took a dive, just won't read discs, keeps displaying no Play and then sometimes will play discs and then stop in the middle of it and sometimes it just plays a whole disc through but I will more often than not hear skipping. At any rate, the CDP has a DAC that can be used when hooked up to a different transport. Don't have the money right now to buy a dedicated CD transport (although the Cyrus models look good IMO) and so I am faced with using my Sony DVD player as a CD transport. This has a Digital Out. I have a Kimber OPT-1 cable handy and so here's the question: Will I connect the OPT-1 from the DVD player's Digital Out and then into the CDP's Digital In (Toslink)? The Interconnects I have from the back of the CDP can remain connected to the preamp and then interconnects from the preamp to the amp? Is this how I need to set this one up? I have been forced to listen to Cds for the past couple of days without an external DAC so to speak (I think I am saying this correctly since I am going to use the DAC portion of the CDP only now). Help.

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,794
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Try cleaning the lens on the optical pickup. Use a Q-tip or the like slightly damp with denatured alcohol. Do this with the CDP unplugged.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• mguevarra61
    Options
    You don't think I'll damage the DAC portion of the CDP by doing this? One dude said that it is possible tha tthe laser diode is dying? I have never done anything like this, as you suggest.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,794
    Options
    No, you will not damage the DAC by cleaning the lens. It could be the laser diode, but it could simply be a dirty lens.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk