Vandersteen 2ci?

Options
There's a minty set of Vandersteen 2ci speakers not too far from me. Price is a bit high from what I've seen in researching, but they do appear to be in excellent shape. Original boxes, the good stands, late production based on serial numbers, etc...

Has anyone here compared CRS(mine have dampened baskets, re-sealed boxes, Larry's rings, refreshed crossovers with Sonicaps and Mills, RD0s, etc) against this model Vandy? Worth a shot? My 2 channel setup right now is Parasound P5, McCormack DNA 0.5, Lexicon RT10 for spinning SACDs/CDs, some wireworld RCAs and Furez 10/2 speaker cables. Also use an SVS SB12 sub crossed over at 35hz. Room is fairly small. 22'x11', 8' ceiling.

Right now my CRS's are on the 22' wall, 8ft apart at center of cabinet, and I sit about 8 ft away. I am only a few feet from the back wall, which I know is not ideal, but the best I can do in this room. I have some room treatments on the back wall which really cleaned up the sound. I'm happy with it, but have been looking for a nice set of Vandersteens for a while and I'm feeling tempted here.

What should I expect in my room with the current electronics compared to the Polks?

I have a larger room that is not ideal for 2 channel listening(just a game room that gets used on weekends), but I have some old Polk Model 11s on a Kenwood C1 pre and Adcom 555 right now. Also, HT setup in an even larger room using Paradigm 11se mkiis for fronts, NHT 2C center, and DCM Time Windows on the sides. Marantz AV7701 and Emotiva XPA-5 driving all.

Would the Vandy's be a vast improvement in any of these rooms? I also use the HT setup for 2 Channel and multi-channel listening sometimes as well.
Lexicon RT-10, Parasound P5, McCormack DNA 0.5, Polk SDA CRS+, SVS Sub
Schiit Modi, Luminous Audio Axiom II, McCormack DNA-1, Digital Phase AP 2
Marantz AV7701, Emotiva XPA-5, Paradigm 11se Mkii, DCM Time Windows, NHT 2C, SVS Sub

Spares - Kenwood C1 Pre, NAD 2200PE, Polk Monitor 10B, Polk Model 11, other odds and ends

Comments

• JPete
    JPete Posts: 295
    Options
    Thought there were some Vandersteen folks in here too. Oh well, guess I shouldn't have mentioned that Emotiva driving the HT setup. Got myself shunned...
    Marantz AV7701, Emotiva XPA-5, Paradigm 11se Mkii, DCM Time Windows, NHT 2C, SVS Sub

Spares - Kenwood C1 Pre, NAD 2200PE, Polk Monitor 10B, Polk Model 11, other odds and ends
  • muncybob
    muncybob Posts: 2,972
    Options
    I have no experience with the CRS or the 2ci, but my 2ce speakers do well in our ht set up. I swapped out my SDA 2B in the 2 channel room and tried the Vandy's. I don't feel the Vandys do rock as well as the 2B's....with that said, I prefer the Vandy's listening to classical. I want to try the Vandersteens sometime with a sub just for giggles.
    Yep, my name really is Bob.
    Parasound HCA1500A(indoor sound) and HCA1000(outdoor sound), Dynaco PAS4, Denon DP1200 w/Shure V15 Type V and Jico SAS stylus, Marantz UD7007, Polk L600, Rythmik L12 sub.
  • voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    Options
    I've never heard any Vandy's but they always catch my eye when I see some for sale :)
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • DollarDave
    DollarDave Posts: 2,575
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I have both. If I had to choose one set, the vandys win hands down. Never fatiguing, very balanced, accurate speakers.

I have sda CRS 4.1tl, 2btl, and 3.1s. The 3.1s are in my daily two channel and the vandys are in the ht commingled with Polk lsim center, surrounds, and heights. The crs's and 2b's get rotated into the two channel occasionally.
  • JPete
    Options
    Thanks @DollarDave. What are you driving the vandys with? Never rotate them into the 2 channel setup? I'm worried about my room size since I can only pull them about 1ft off the back wall at the most. I've read that they like being further out in the room.

• DollarDave
    DollarDave Posts: 2,575
    Options
    They were in the 2 channel for a couple of years until I restored a pair of 3.1s I came across. I could have left them there, but I have a soft spot for the rescued 3.1s. They hold their own with the 3.1s, it's just a slight preference in overall allocation of my speaker resources..
  • JPete
    Options
    So I went and listened to the 2CIs today. Looked really good, but had to listen in a less than ideal setup. Digital streamed MP3s and an Adcom 545II. Basic cables, jumpers not bi-wired. Didn't quite do it for me on some reference songs. My 2 channel setup with CRSs blows those things outta the water.

Really was hoping to be stunned and now I can't stop thinking about what they'd sound like here instead of there... Terrible.

Anyone know what these things should really be worth? Ebay prices seem high, 500 and up. Don't think I could pay more than $400 considering even the mint condition and stands...

• JPete
    Options
    Oh yeah. I called Vandersteen earlier and Richard picked up. Couldn't find a good crossover schematic and wanted to ask about components they used and if any electrolytics in there should be replaced... What a **** that guy is. Sorry if they're any fans but he shouldn't be speaking to people, ever. Sounded like a grumpy old truck driver. Read somewhere that he was a truck driver for a while. Very suiting.

• erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,315
    Options
    The ci is the older ones. I would say no more the 400 for the ci. Ce or sig i think sound better vs the ci. Geppy has a set of sig for a good price in the for sale area.
    Klipsch The Nines, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • FTGV
    FTGV Posts: 3,649
    Options
    JPete wrote: »
    Oh yeah. I called Vandersteen earlier and Richard picked up. Couldn't find a good crossover schematic and wanted to ask about components they used and if any electrolytics in there should be replaced... What a **** that guy is. Sorry if they're any fans but he shouldn't be speaking to people, ever. Sounded like a grumpy old truck driver. Read somewhere that he was a truck driver for a while. Very suiting.
    May I ask what his response was?
  • JPete
    Options
    FTGV wrote: »
    JPete wrote: »
    May I ask what his response was?

Wouldn't really say anything about values or schematics. Something about not just replacing caps without being able to tune precisely in the anechoic chamber?? Guy gives off a bad vibe so I just dazed off until he quit talking and said thanks, goodbye...

• JPete
    Options
    erniejade wrote: »
    The ci is the older ones. I would say no more the 400 for the ci. Ce or sig i think sound better vs the ci. Geppy has a set of sig for a good price in the for sale area.

That's the conclusion I came to after reading up as much as I could find on these. I made an offer to the seller for what I am willing to pay but don't think it'll work out. I'm still intrigued by these speakers and really wanted to try them out with my gear but looks like I'll have to wait for another set to come up. Hopefully CEs local. I'd probably jump on the set Geppy is selling if they were close enough to make the drive.

• leftwinger57
    leftwinger57 Posts: 2,917
    Options
    I know this is a little late in the response to this thread but I have heard both speakers and there are not much to compare themselves with. With the SDA you have the positioning placement dilema many go through . Not so much w/ the Vandys .When I was really speaker shopping years ago I happened across a set of walnut topped 2 ci that sounded excellent and for the cash besides DMC you can't get a better buy from a 30 y/o vintage speaker. Then you have box vs. sock style which if a cat lives near by is not a good thing. If I didn't get my 2Bs for the price I did I would have gone w/ the Vandersteens or Ohm/Walsh 2xos.
    2chl- Adcom GFA- 555-Onkyo P-3150v pre/amp- JVC-QL-A200 tt- Denon 1940 ci cdp- Adcom GFS-6 -Modded '87 SDA 2Bs - Dynamat Ext.- BH-5- X-Overs VR-3, RDO-194 tweeters, Larry's Rings, Speakon/Neutrik I/C- Cherry stain tops Advent Maestros,Ohm model E

H/T- Toshiba au40" flat- Yamaha RX- V665 avr- YSD-11 Dock- I-Pod- Klipsch #400HD Speaker set-

Bdrm- Nikko 6065 receiver- JBL -G-200s--Pioneer 305 headphones--Sony CE375-5 disc