Official SVS owners thread!

Comments

• lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    A trip is planned when Ryan gets four 18" woofers fired up in the HT. I mightpoop myself.
  • ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    lightman1 wrote: »
    A trip is planned when Ryan gets four 18" woofers fired up in the HT. I mightpoop myself.

4 18s and 2 12s. Yer gettin' forgetful in yer dotage.
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    ZLTFUL wrote: »
    lightman1 wrote: »

4 18s and 2 12s. Yer gettin' forgetful in yer dotage.
    How big is this room?
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    23x18x9.
    Dedicated theater with risers doubling as bass traps and full room treatments.
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • halo
    With that much bass, it sounds like it will be compressing your spine in that theater.
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited June 2016
    Mine will be used for both music and movies with music having the priority. But with having two subs I should have plenty of bass. Thanks Halo and congrats on your purchase...now get to unpackin! ;)
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • halo
    Patience is a virtue Cathy ;)
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    halo wrote: »
    Patience is a virtue Cathy ;)

You shouldn't have dangled the carrot. You know we are nothing but a bunch of rabbits wanting to jump into the rabbit hole ;)
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • dpowell
    dpowell Posts: 3,050
    edited June 2016
    cfrizz wrote: »
    I think the SB will be fine for me. Hopefully it won't stomp all over my DSW 400 too badly.

Sell the DSW400 and get two SVS subs. :smiley: If you only get the one, once you hear it you'll want to sell the DSW anyway and will have missed out on the 'buy two' extra discount.
    ____________________________________________________________ polkaudio Fully Modded SDA SRS 1.2TLs + Dreadnaught, LSiM706c, 4 X Polk Surrounds + 4 X ATMOS SVS PB13 Ultra x 2Pass Labs X1, Marantz 7704, Sunfire Signature Cinema Grande 400, ADCOM 7807, Panasonic UB420, Sony SCD-C333ES, EPSON Pro Cinema 6050
  • halo
    dpowell wrote: »
    I think the SB will be fine for me. Hopefully it won't stomp all over my DSW 400 too badly.

Sell the DSW400 and get two SVS subs. :smiley: If you only get the one, once you hear it you'll want to sell the DSW anyway and will have missed out on the 'buy two' extra discount.

Cathy is nothing if not frugal. Very smart approach @dpowell :)
  • cfrizz
    My DSW is working just fine, there is no reason to get rid of it. The Boston is going into the trash, since it dropped foam all over the floor underneath it and was banging instead of booming.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • halo
    In a separate thread I posted about serious issues I was having with my new SB-1000's sound quality/lack of bass response.

So, long story made short, vacuum tube preamps sometimes don't output enough voltage to get the signal through to the sub's amp. When I first hooked it up to the Jolida, I had the volume on the sub at maximum and the crossover wide open and I could barely hear it and it wasn't anywhere near the same db level as my main speakers. I talked with Ed Mullin over the phone, describing everything I'd done in order to configure the SB-1000.

Even though he read the description of the equipment I'm using, it wasn't until I said, "vacuum tube preamp" that it registered with him.

I don't have the time to run speaker cables to the sub tonight but at least there's a solution on the horizon.

After getting the RC-70 floorstanding speakers again, I've got more bass response now than I ever did with the ELACs.

I have a little time to merge the SVS into my set up. If I don't like it, I can send it back and try out some acoustic room treatments instead.
  • halo
    So, wiring the amp directly to the SB-1000 worked for a couple of days. Now the bass is barely dribbling out of the SB-1000.

Ed asked me to connect the outputs of my CDP directly to the sub and to see if the bass was different. Yes! A lot of bass! Then he asked me to connect the front right and left speaker outputs from my AVR to the sub. Yes! A lot of bass! Next, he asked me to connect the sub out on the AVR to the sub. Yes! A lot of bass!

His conclusion is that the sub's amp is working fine and that the issue is with my 2-Channel set up. Since I bought the sub to address bass with the 2-Channel set up, and it isn't working with the 2-channel set up, I guess I'll be returning it. However, I do not understand why it worked fine for a few days and now it's wonky. I didn't change anything in the set up over those few days. I just listened to music and the last episode of the season of Game of Thrones.

I am confused.

Any ideas or suggestions?
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
    Was it working with one device and then you switched to a diff one? IE using a CDP to stream and watch a movie did you switch to say a PC or something......
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • halo
    Was it working with one device and then you switched to a diff one? IE using a CDP to stream and watch a movie did you switch to say a PC or something......
    Between the time I got it working and the time it started acting up I made no changes.

• EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
    halo wrote: »
    Between the time I got it working and the time it started acting up I made no changes.

Since your using a tube'd pre..... have you rolled in different tubes to see if maybe one of them was going bad and resulted in some sort of a voltage drop (which is what the original problem was)?
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • dpowell
    dpowell Posts: 3,050
    My DSW is working just fine, there is no reason to get rid of it. The Boston is going into the trash, since it dropped foam all over the floor underneath it and was banging instead of booming.

I don't make my suggestion lightly and understand the need to be frugal. That said there is big difference between a sub that is 'just working fine' and a sub that performs. The point I am trying to make is that after you hear the substantial improvement in SQ that SVS offers, you will at a minimum realize how much your DSW no longer blends well or actually conflicts with the tight, accurate bass produced by its SVS counterpart across the room and have to live with it or actively want to get rid of your DSW because you don't like it any longer. SVS is THAT much of a noticeable improvement.

I have had Polk subs in the past. They worked fine but they weren't high-end performers. I upgraded to the PB13 Ultras from a SVS PB12 plus/2 which is a monster sub and one which I thought was working just fine. Selling the PB12 Plus/2 was an excellent move and I have zero regrets dropping the extra coin to get the best on both sides of the room.

Whatever you decide, you are getting an excellent performance boost in the bass department with the SVS. If you don't want to get two of them, I would get rid of both of your current subs and just have the one SVS.
    ____________________________________________________________ polkaudio Fully Modded SDA SRS 1.2TLs + Dreadnaught, LSiM706c, 4 X Polk Surrounds + 4 X ATMOS SVS PB13 Ultra x 2Pass Labs X1, Marantz 7704, Sunfire Signature Cinema Grande 400, ADCOM 7807, Panasonic UB420, Sony SCD-C333ES, EPSON Pro Cinema 6050
  • halo
    dpowell wrote: »

I don't make my suggestion lightly and understand the need to be frugal. That said there is big difference between a sub that is 'just working fine' and a sub that performs. The point I am trying to make is that after you hear the substantial improvement in SQ that SVS offers, you will at a minimum realize how much your DSW no longer blends well or actually conflicts with the tight, accurate bass produced by its SVS counterpart across the room and have to live with it or actively want to get rid of your DSW because you don't like it any longer. SVS is THAT much of a noticeable improvement.

I have had Polk subs in the past. They worked fine but they weren't high-end performers. I upgraded to the PB13 Ultras from a SVS PB12 plus/2 which is a monster sub and one which I thought was working just fine. Selling the PB12 Plus/2 was an excellent move and I have zero regrets dropping the extra coin to get the best on both sides of the room.

Whatever you decide, you are getting an excellent performance boost in the bass department with the SVS. If you don't want to get two of them, I would get rid of both of your current subs and just have the one SVS.
    I agree that the SVS should outperform the sub you have now Cathy. Once you've been exposed to a real subsonic subwoofer, it's very hard to go back to anything less.

Rythmik audio has a sealed 12" sub for $569 or you can try the SB-1000. The nice thing about SVS is that they offer a 45-day in home trial with no strings attached.

Rhythmik will ship the sub to you for $0 if you don't want a signature confirmation and it'll be $4 if you do want the signature confirmation.

I don't think that you can go wrong with either of them.

However, if you want to run speaker cable to the sub, you should go with the SB-1000 because the Rythmik sub doesn't have speaker level inputs.

If that doesn't matter to you, then you should comparison shop between the two.

Good luck!
  • cfrizz
    Thank you for the suggestions gentlemen, I will consider it carefully.

Halo...where are the pictures? :)
  • codycatalist
    codycatalist Posts: 2,662
    gce wrote: »

Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity.

Had to steal this to add to my signature.
    Just a dude doing dude-ly things

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    " I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
    "Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
    "Audiophiles are the male equivalent of cat ladies." - Audiokarma Member
  • halo
    Thank you for the suggestions gentlemen, I will consider it carefully.

Halo...where are the pictures? :)

It's just a little box Cathy. Here ya go:

IMG_1575_zpshzexvu8i.jpg
  • cfrizz
    Nice, me likey!!! I'm pretty settled on getting one. I am tempted to get two, but it's hard for me to let go of something that still works great. If I knew of someone who needed a sub, I'd give it to them, but I don't. Though I can always call College Hunks Hauling Junk to come get them.....Hmmm.
  • gp4jesus
    gp4jesus Posts: 1,969
    How does a PB 12-NDS stack up to, say a PB-1000 or SB-2000?

Thnx Tony
    Samsung 60" UN60ES6100 LED Outlaw Audio 976 Pre/Pro Samsung BDP, Amazon Firestick, Phillips CD Changer Canare 14 ga - LCR tweeters inside*; Ctr Ch outside BJC 10 ga - LCR mids, inside* & out 8 ga Powerline: LR woofers, inside* & out *soldered LR: Tri-amped RTi A7 w/Rotels. Woofers - 980BX; Tweets & “Plugged*” Mids - 981, connected w/MP Premiere ICs Ctr Ch: Rotel RB981 -> Bi-amped CSi A6 Surrounds: Premiere ICs ->Rotel 981 -> AR 12 ga -> RTi A3. 5 Subs: Sunfire True SW Signature -> LFE & Ctr Ch; 4 Audio Pro Evidence @ the “Corners”. Power Conditioning & Distribution: 4 dedicated 20A feeds; APC H15; 5 Furman Miniport 20s *Xschop's handy work
  • gp4jesus
    gp4jesus Posts: 1,969
    edited July 2016
    gp4jesus wrote: »
    How does a PB 12-NDS stack up to, say a PB-1000 or SB-2000?
    That is, does it get down to the low 20s (well) or dig into the teens?

Thnx, Tony

Samsung 60" UN60ES6100 LED Outlaw Audio 976 Pre/Pro Samsung BDP, Amazon Firestick, Phillips CD Changer Canare 14 ga - LCR tweeters inside*; Ctr Ch outside BJC 10 ga - LCR mids, inside* & out 8 ga Powerline: LR woofers, inside* & out *soldered LR: Tri-amped RTi A7 w/Rotels. Woofers - 980BX; Tweets & “Plugged*” Mids - 981, connected w/MP Premiere ICs Ctr Ch: Rotel RB981 -> Bi-amped CSi A6 Surrounds: Premiere ICs ->Rotel 981 -> AR 12 ga -> RTi A3. 5 Subs: Sunfire True SW Signature -> LFE & Ctr Ch; 4 Audio Pro Evidence @ the “Corners”. Power Conditioning & Distribution: 4 dedicated 20A feeds; APC H15; 5 Furman Miniport 20s *Xschop's handy work
  • DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,471
    I've had a pb12-plus/2 for a number of years. Last night I picked up a SB12-NSD with the SoundPath isolation feet. I've been running two channel through the Parasound P5 full range into the LsiM 705s. They have pretty satisfying bass on there own and the big sub can be a little flabby with music. Going to give the sealed SB12-NSD a whirl for two channel & see how it goes.
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,521
    The PB12-NSD (v.2) goes down to 16-18Hz. I have one in a very large listening area, and have been very pleased.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • mikeyb128
    mikeyb128 Posts: 2,885
    Picked up a second SB 1000 for my 2 channel system, have it hooked up and tinkered with it for a few hours, but haven't had much time this week to listen. Going to dial it in on the weekend, and see how it goes. I also have sound path isolation feet on both subs.
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,471
    Well, I got the SB12-NSD connected to my Parasound P5 for two channel use. Plopped the sub on my chair & did the sub-crawl to find the spot. Put the pre-amp in bypass mode & used AVIA to get the sub & the mains at roughly the same level by adjusting the gain on the sub. Afterwards, I adjusted the level up slightly based on actual music listening. I enabled the Parasound main & sub crossovers & set both to 80Hz to try & give the 705s mid-woofer some extra headroom. I wish they would have crossed it over higher in the actual speaker, as it limits the speakers output capability having it where it is. Disabled the actual sub crossover & set the phase to zero.

In short, I'm pretty underwhelmed by what this sub can do. It lacks impact. If I adjust the sub gain any higher the lower mids get muddy. The LsiM705s dig about as deep & actually seem to do so with more authority, albeit with a lower max output potential. This is the first sealed sub I've had in a long time. Maybe that's it, I'm used to vented?
  • mikeyb128
    mikeyb128 Posts: 2,885
    DaveHo wrote: »
    Well, I got the SB12-NSD connected to my Parasound P5 for two channel use. Plopped the sub on my chair & did the sub-crawl to find the spot. Put the pre-amp in bypass mode & used AVIA to get the sub & the mains at roughly the same level by adjusting the gain on the sub. Afterwards, I adjusted the level up slightly based on actual music listening. I enabled the Parasound main & sub crossovers & set both to 80Hz to try & give the 705s mid-woofer some extra headroom. I wish they would have crossed it over higher in the actual speaker, as it limits the speakers output capability having it where it is. Disabled the actual sub crossover & set the phase to zero.

In short, I'm pretty underwhelmed by what this sub can do. It lacks impact. If I adjust the sub gain any higher the lower mids get muddy. The LsiM705s dig about as deep & actually seem to do so with more authority, albeit with a lower max output potential. This is the first sealed sub I've had in a long time. Maybe that's it, I'm used to vented?

I would give it time to work in a bit. I was under whelmed by my pb ultra when I first got it. It took a few weeks and the thing started to belch out bass. I've heard a few disappointed people on the forum with svs small sealed subs and I am really surprised, as I've been very impressed by mine.
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• Mike Reeter
    Mike Reeter Posts: 4,314
    I've become an SVS Owner once again! I had a PC-Ultra around 10 years ago in our HT set-up, what a BEAST that sub was! Like a fool I sold it when I dismantled the HT and starting putting together my 2-channel rig.

I decided to "boost" the lower end of my 3.1TL's a bit with the help of a pair of SVS SB-2000's.

IMG_4520_zpsmgqbhiwl.jpg

I thought I would give these a whirl and see how they sound, if they didn't perform as expected, it's a painless return process within a 45 day trial period.

I opted for the Black Ash finish as that Piano Gloss is too much trouble to keep clean!

IMG_4523_zpskpgzv2rp.jpg

Had to have a pair of new cables also ;)

IMG_4522_zpsuayijlha.jpg

And here they are in their new home, I still need to work on set-up and tuning, but so far, they are a very good compliment to the 3.1's.

IMG_4526_zpsb6q0w74f.jpg