Seagate - Personal Cloud 3TB External Hard Drive (NAS)

Does anyone know if this is any good? It is a lot cheaper that the other NAS that I was looking at

Comments

• mdaudioguy
    mdaudioguy Posts: 5,165
    edited May 2016
    Google "Seagate" and "click," "clicking," or "click of death"... and then buy something else. Seriously, most are probably ok, but this happened to me. I think Western Digital has a better rep right now.
  • ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    Avoid the Seagate 3TB drives like a cable thread!

Personally, Hitachi (HGST now owned by Western Digital but still making their own drives in Thailand) and Western Digital (Blacks, Reds...I avoid the Greens and Blues) are the go to drives.
    Currently have ~64TB worth of storage space in the house and only 1 drive is not Hitachi/HGST.
    I do have 2 WD Green 1TB drives in a WD "My Book" that my wife and I use to do monthly full backups on our laptops and then it goes to our safe-deposit box.

Seagate has gotten better with their 4TB drives but their 3TB drives are notoriously bad.

Do a google search for Backblaze hard drive reliability and read one of their quarterly drive reports.
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,309
    +1 on Seagate avoidance.
    Agreed, WD or HGST

Also, consider something with RAID capability, or a second disk you can sync to periodically, depending on your threshold for loss.
    I disabled signatures.
  • D'prived
    D'prived Posts: 191
    I have three QNAP NAS boxes with a total of 11 hard drives. All HD's are WD red drives. All have been running over a year 24/7 with no problems.
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    I would stay away from WD 3TB reds, my IT guy has a 20% failure on these non OEM drives, 2's and 4's are good

Also I would stay away from all OEM drives
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • Jaybeez
    Jaybeez Posts: 737
    mdaudioguy wrote: »
    Google "Seagate" and "click," "clicking," or "click of death"... and then buy something else. Seriously, most are probably ok, but this happened to me. I think Western Digital has a better rep right now.

Hmm ... I wondered where that click was coming from. Thought it was my DAC (Schiit Bifrost).
    Love the sound from the DAC, so good to know "click relief" is only a new hard drive away from reality.