San Diego Gathering CDP Shootout May 2016

dpowell
dpowell Posts: 3,050
I'm opening up the house for a few hours to anyone interested in listening to some tunes and comparing CDP's. An Oppo BDP-83 SE player is in route and I will be doing some A/B comparisons between my standard 83 and the 83SE. CDP's will be connected to the Pass Labs X1 pre, Sunfire amp and Modded 2.3TL's.

One person has committed so far and others are welcome to come and listen and/or bring CD's and/or a CDP to throw in the mix if wanted. Other gear like cables and amps will get a bit tricky since the X1 needs about 20-30 minutes to warm up after being powered off during gear changes so I'm thinking of just keeping this to CDP's this time around.

Either a morning starting around 10am or an early afternoon timeframe based on everyone's availability is doable.

When you respond to this, please indicate if you're bringing anything and what time of day works best.

Originally planned for May 21. Possibly will look at May 22 if it works better for folks.
____________________________________________________________ polkaudio Fully Modded SDA SRS 1.2TLs + Dreadnaught, LSiM706c, 4 X Polk Surrounds + 4 X ATMOS SVS PB13 Ultra x 2Pass Labs X1, Marantz 7704, Sunfire Signature Cinema Grande 400, ADCOM 7807, Panasonic UB420, Sony SCD-C333ES, EPSON Pro Cinema 6050
Post edited by dpowell on

Comments

• dpowell
    For the CDP comparison it would be nice to have multiple of the same discs since the X1 allows for very easy switching between sources on the fly. To get the list of possible source material started, here are a few good reference CD's I like to listen to. Feel free to add suggestions to the list:

Pat Metheny Group - any of his CD's
    Chris Botti - Night Sessions
    Owl City - Ocean Eyes
    Norman Brown - After The Storm
    Pink Floyd - DSOTM SACD
    Stevie Ray Vaughn - In Step
    ____________________________________________________________ polkaudio Fully Modded SDA SRS 1.2TLs + Dreadnaught, LSiM706c, 4 X Polk Surrounds + 4 X ATMOS SVS PB13 Ultra x 2Pass Labs X1, Marantz 7704, Sunfire Signature Cinema Grande 400, ADCOM 7807, Panasonic UB420, Sony SCD-C333ES, EPSON Pro Cinema 6050
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    I would be there but Saturday's are all work days for me
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • dpowell
    DSkip wrote: »
    If you get a strong gathering, let me know. I'll ship out the amr to you so you can compare.

Wow, thanks for the fantastic offer! Will keep you posted on numbers.
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,056
    To bad it wasn't in July I will be in La, Mesa for a couple of weeks, I would of attended. Have a great get together.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • dpowell
    Confirmed for Saturday May 21. Time TBD.
  • Erik Tracy
    Erik Tracy Posts: 4,673
    Hi Doug,
    Thanks for the invite and playing host once again.

If this will be a source based shootout, I can bring my Marantz Pearl player for giggles and grins.

Do you have identical interconnects and power cords to level the playing field?

If not, I can bring 2 pair of Audioquest Jaguar RCA/RCA 1meter interconnects, and Pangea 14SE power 1meter powercords.

I'll bring what duplicate copies I have of the CDs you listed so we can sync 2 players at the same time for A/B.

See you on Saturday the 21st.

H9: If you don't trust what you are hearing, then maybe you need to be less invested in a hobby which all the pleasure comes from listening to music.
  • codyc1ark
    codyc1ark Posts: 2,530

Thankfully this guy can't come to this gathering and RUIN you with his amps. :smiley: I loved last years, but I don't know if I'll make it to SD this year until it gets cold here in the midwest again.
  • nooshinjohn
    codyc1ark wrote: »

Thankfully this guy can't come to this gathering and RUIN you with his amps. :smiley: I loved last years, but I don't know if I'll make it to SD this year until it gets cold here in the midwest again.

My turntable would SMOKE the SACD brigade. >:)
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • dpowell
    John, you already cost me a bundle last time you came with your Pass Labs. Would love to have you again this time but my wallet is breathing a sigh of relief. :smiley:
  • dpowell
    edited May 2016
    Erik Tracy wrote: »

Do you have identical interconnects and power cords to level the playing field?

If not, I can bring 2 pair of Audioquest Jaguar RCA/RCA 1meter interconnects, and Pangea 14SE power 1meter powercords.

I'll bring what duplicate copies I have of the CDs you listed so we can sync 2 players at the same time for A/B.

I was just thinking about IC's and power cords. I am using Signal Cable Analog II's and Signal Cable Digital Power Cords at the moment and don't have extras to make it an identical test. If you have multiples of IC's we can use to make it a closer comparison, that would be great. If you want to bring the Pearl, that would be fun as well!
  • dpowell
    Oh but wait, IC's and power cords are just snake oil and make no difference whatsoever! ;)
  • nooshinjohn
    dpowell wrote: »
    John, you already cost me a bundle last time you came with your Pass Labs. Would love to have you again this time but my wallet is breathing a sigh of relief. :smiley:

Lol... When are you coming up north? The wife and I redid the guest room for you.

• dpowell
    Sounds nice. I have to get the work on the house finished up before I can take a weekend away. I'm thinking that my house should be been used in the movie 'Money Pit'.....
  • Erik Tracy
    I'm looking forward to Saturday's comparison of the Oppo 83 and 83SE.

I'll have the ICs and Power cords ready as well as duplicate CDs so we can do the direct A/B switching.

I also have some CDs/SACDs that I think you may like as well.

H9: If you don't trust what you are hearing, then maybe you need to be less invested in a hobby which all the pleasure comes from listening to music.
  • dpowell
    Great! I am also looking forward to comparing the 83 se with the Marantz black pearl.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    Sounds nice. I have to get the work on the house finished up before I can take a weekend away. I'm thinking that my house should be been used in the movie 'Money Pit'.....

Aren't they all ? LMAO
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • nooshinjohn
    Pics or it did not happen guys...

• dpowell
    No pics sorry. But there is some interesting info to pass along on our findings. More to come......
  • aboroth00
    aboroth00 Posts: 1,103
    Seems like I missed out on a fun gathering!
    2Ch Tube Audio Convert
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    Lets hear about this blow out....who grabbed who's rear end, yanked cables out of sockets, gave the cat the runs. What gear sounded best with what....any revelations ?
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • dpowell
    I posted a new thread in the 2 channel audio section of the forum on the results this afternoon. Apparently it has to be approved before it appears. Never seen that requirement before but maybe because I used the words CDP Shootout?
  • Erik Tracy
    I posted a new thread in the 2 channel audio section of the forum on the results this afternoon. Apparently it has to be approved before it appears. Never seen that requirement before but maybe because I used the words CDP Shootout?

Doug,
    Maybe you should just post the follow up here.

Who knows how long it will take the Vanilla Lords to pass judgement on your highly controversial thread title.