Returned to EAC..having an issue

steveinaz
steveinaz Posts: 19,521
edited May 2016 in Going Digital
I downloaded the latest version of EAC and I'm having a bit of an issue with Various Artist CD burns.

My directory structure and filename look fine on my computer:
%artist% - %albumtitle%\%tracknr2% %tracktitle% renders a directory:
Various Artists - Baby it's cold outside\01 Baby it's cold outside.flac, etc.

However,
Various artist, even though they appear fine in directory structure terms on the computer; appear in host programs (in this case Foobar2000) as individual albums---not grouped under "Various Artists."

The newer versions of EAC no longer have the "Various Artists" checkbox on the main screen--its gone. It does still have in the "settings-->filenames" where you can stipulate filename conventions for Various artists albums. I tried:
%artist% - %albumtitle%\%tracknr2% %artist% / %tracktitle% But it wouldn't accept the forward slash character. I tried a - (dash) instead, and that rendered:
Various Artists - Baby it's cold outside\01 Dean Martin - Baby it's cold outside.flac; however, Foobar2000 still splits all the artist out as if they are seperate artists, rather than a compilation one 1 album.

Sooooooooo....what are you guys using as a filename convention in the "Various Artists" string?
Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2

Best Answers

Answers

• steveinaz
    ...BTW, one thing I love about my Oppo music interface---it translates album info for display "literally." IOW, it displays your info as typed in on your computer.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • steveinaz
    edited May 2016
    Better explaination:

I have a various artist CD Titled "Baby it's cold outside" which is a Christmas compilation. It features Dean Martin, Bobby Darryn, Nat King Cole, etc. When I pop the CD in with EAC running, EAC correctly reflects the Artist Name as 'Various" and then each track properly displays its associated artist for that particular song. Ok, cool. When I burn the CD into flac, my computer also shows proper album naming, and groups all the songs under the album. Cool. Now, here's where it falls apart---and I know back when I had a squeezbox it did this also---Foobar2000 displays all the individual artists as if they are all seperate albums. It does not group the songs under the "Various; Baby it's cold outside" folder. I remember squeezeserver giving me some guff about the same issue, but forgot how I resloved it.

ALSO: Might be helpful: When I look at the tag info for particular song, it doesn't display "Various" under Artist like you would expect----it displays "Dean Martin." So, even though "Various" was entered in EAC as the artist, Foobar2000 isn't translating right. I'm not sure if EAC is at fault or Foobar2000...but like I said, Squeezebox gave me the same grief at first with various Artists CD's encoded by (earlier version) EAC and using MediaMonkey as front-end.
    Post edited by steveinaz on
  • steveinaz
    edited May 2016
    Pete; my hiearchy is (Drive)\Music\Artist - Album Title\Track# SongTitle.flac. "D" being my USB hard drive.

Emlyn; I can simply "hard" tag it and force it to go into the proper folder, but I thought that might mess something up in the future. You would think these burn programs (esp EAC) would have this ironed out by now. I got it to work in the past, but can't remember what I did, and the newest version of EAC lacks the "Various Artists" checkbox. Wierd.