lone star audio fest 2016

Comments

• helipilotdoug
    helipilotdoug Posts: 1,229
    Ahhh yes, a good time indeed! I have not partied like that in a long time. Of course my poor old body can't stand that more than about once per year!

I want to thank Ron (txcoastal1) for giving Douglas Connection the room and his wonderful set up during LSAF. We got some great exposure and the system was superb. Thank you Ron :D

Sunfire Theater Grand IV
    Sunfire Cinema Grand Signature
    SRS 2.1TL
    SDA 2BTL's
    CSiA6
    FXiA4
    FXiA6
    SDA 2A's
    Monitor 10A's

http://www.douglasconnection.com
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    I haven't seen one picture of fear the beard ( @lightman1 ) , were you hiding?
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    Great time indeed guys. Voltz's system is a lot fun. He sent me a text around 9:30pm "Got a room full" >:)>:) sure enough I grabbed a my big Yeti that was full of craft beers. Then some time after midnight we went back to the Blowtorch room, next thing I know it was after 3am. 7:30am came around quick as we still had to load up. Most of us also had 5 hour drives back home. :#:# I got home around 3:30pm, crashed and burned.
    Nightfall wrote: »
    I haven't seen one picture of fear the beard ( @lightman1 ) , were you hiding?

Like bigfoot he's only seen by a few.
    Ahhh yes, a good time indeed! I have not partied like that in a long time. Of course my poor old body can't stand that more than about once per year!

I want to thank Ron (txcoastal1) for giving Douglas Connection the room and his wonderful set up during LSAF. We got some great exposure and the system was superb. Thank you Ron :D

You're very welcome Doug and I'm glad everyone got a chance to enjoy it as it was the first time all the components were at the same place since I was trying to keep the new system on the DL from the wife. :#
    Had Halen warming up the speakers in Dallas, as I warmed up the amps at home.
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
    @txcoastal1

Where is that big old music server you were talking about.

@helipilotdoug

I'd love a rundown of the gear. I see a HRT MediaStreamer Pro IIRC being fed by USB to a modwright something.....
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    edited May 2016
    @txcoastal1
    Where is that big old music server you were talking about.
    I invited Doug to show his cables in my room a few days before the show. So not to complicate things we had two streaming systems attached, one he was familiar with (MAC and Amarra) and one I'm still learning MiND.

The Simaudio 780D is under the Modwright LS100 tube pre.

Post edited by txcoastal1 on
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    ei9bmitdwc6y.jpg
    And no Marvin is not tipsy :) just want to show how tall they are as Marvin is over 6 foot tall.
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • dkfreebird
    dkfreebird Posts: 1,180
    Man,I wish I could of stayed longer for all the late night fun.I really had a great time hanging out with Darryl and Marvin and checking out a lot of nice gear.I think I may just have to book a room next year so not to miss out on the after party.Thanks for letting me hang out with you Voltz and Marvin.I I did have a sighting of Lightman so even though there are no pics I can confirm he is real.
    2 Channel
    Polk 1.2tl's Modded with dreadnought
    Musical Fidelity M6Si
    North Star Intenso Dac
    Auralic Aries Mini Streamer
    Oppo 103
    Pangea PC
    Wireworld Equinox 7 interconnects
    Wireworld Equinox 7 Speaker Cables and Jumpers

Backups 2.3tl, Crs+ pin/blade with stands.Monitor 5 peerless,Monitor 4 peerless,Polk R200,McCormack Dna 0.5 Deluxe McCormack Dna 1,Dared Sl 2000A,Dayens Ampino Rogue Magnum 66 pre
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,722
    Great time as always this year, good to see you guys again. If any of you losers decide to get your lazy asses up to RMAF this year hit me up.
  • voltz
    edited May 2016
    Marvin & Dennis and I went ot the Ten-50 BBQ and while we where in line Marvin ask this kid who was bring more meat up to the Servers about beef ribs, when the kid brought them close for Marvin to see them -Marvin was like oh is this my sample?

The Kid started back peddling really quick :p when we got up there we found out a 1 rib 1 lb piece of beef ribs was going to be about $35.

But the food was excellent and some of the best I have tried in Dallas, but I have not been to Hard Eight BBQ yet as we found out the Hotel will drive us to either Ten-50 or Bone Daddy's but not Hard Eight.

Also those Rosso Fiorentino's of Skip's is awesome for playing at really low levels and sounding stellar...most I've heard have to be played a lot louder to open up.
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

• marvda1
    marvda1 Posts: 4,862
    edited May 2016
    I was blindsided by josh late Saturday night with the price on the $8000 speakers, if I had known early Saturday I would have ran to the bank and they would be at home with me now.
    Amplifiers: Norma IPA 140, MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800
    Preamp: deHavilland Ultraverve 3
    Dac: Sonnet Morpheus 2, Musical Paradise mp-d2 mkIII
    Transport: Jay's Audio CDT2 mk2, Lumin U1 mini
    Speakers: Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II
    Speaker Cables: Organic Audio Organic Reference 2
    Interconnects: Argento Organic Reference 2, Argento Organic 2
    Power Cables: Argento Organic Reference, Synergistic Research Foundation 10 and 12 ga.
    Puritan PSM156
  • voltz
    here is a pic of the speakers that Marvin was offered a super deal on...I pushed him as hard as I could but he keep jumping over that rabbit hole.
    8wkwzhf8p91r.jpg
    rpw.jpg 76.9K

• AsSiMiLaTeD
    AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,722
    If I were still local I'd have taken them, but shipping them back to CO would have cut into the deal too much. That's an absurdly great looking and sounding speaker at that price...plus I REALLY loved the towers in the Stereo Clarity room.
  • EndersShadow
    I'm guessing we are talking about the MTM's in the picture not the smaller ones correct?

I'd love either, I LOVE that purple look on the wood.
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • marvda1
    yes, the mtm
    Amplifiers: Norma IPA 140, MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800
    Power Cables: Argento Organic Reference, Synergistic Research Foundation 10 and 12 ga.
    Puritan PSM156
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 1,394
    I had an earth shattering different feeling towards JWM. I was there. It just did not do it for me. Maybe it's my preference, but I like full sound, mids driven. Not driven by all details by the high. I will give it one thing, it's high will smoke bowers any day but the mids were shot.

The Ones are dangerously close to ideal. To this day, nothing touches the elemental design bookies.

Halen
  • [Deleted User]
    LSAF this year.. Was good to meet locals again as well as those that traveled. You know who you are. Sorry I could not stay after hours, had too much going on but made every last second effort to be there.

Halen
  • EndersShadow
    halen wrote: »
    I had an earth shattering different feeling towards JWM. I was there. It just did not do it for me. Maybe it's my preference, but I like full sound, mids driven. Not driven by all details by the high. I will give it one thing, it's high will smoke bowers any day but the mids were shot.

The Ones are dangerously close to ideal. To this day, nothing touches the elemental design bookies.

Halen

What are these you speak of? These the BlowTorch speakers Russman and Ron had?

• [Deleted User]
    halen wrote: »

Halen

What are these you speak of? These the BlowTorch speakers Russman and Ron had?

Yep

• [Deleted User]
    edited May 2016
    There is nothing from a mass producing sell out bowers to my highly regarded Elacs (non Andrew whatever versions). Yep, those Ones by Blowtorch.
  • EndersShadow
    You guys are killing me lol....

I'm hoping the Blowtorch website will soon have more information on these speakers so I can read more about their special sauce :smile:
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    I've never heard of Blowtorch speakers, what's up with them?
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,638
    edited May 2016
    Haven't heard from lightman? Is he in jail?
    Post edited by ken brydson on
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    Laying low at home before I go back to Iowa. Feels good but short lived. ;)
  • EndersShadow
    lightman1 wrote: »
    Laying low at home before I go back to Iowa. Feels good but short lived. ;)

He's HIDING from the police so he DOESNT get put in jail.

Stay thirsty my friend!
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    Too many Russ sightings in one state. All the Bigfoot groupies will march into the area seeking to prove his existence. He has to lay low, maybe visit another state to throw them off track.

You guys look like you had a down right heck of a good time. Any responses, positive ones anyway, from the masses who visited ?
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • marvda1
    edited May 2016
    i'll post some pictures tonight.
    here's something strange, people would stop and read the signs outside doors and keep walking. i went outside several times and told them to come in.
    Puritan PSM156
  • marvda1
    edited May 2016
    this was the whetstone audio room from austin texas. thoress 845 set amps @ $14,475 pr, preamp $11, 975 and at the bottom was the leban cs-600 integrated @ $6495. by the way the tannoy speakers come in at $19,500 pr.
    bigdcc6xlpga.jpg
    r8a4a5qttyxl.jpg
    9hqarra8n0fd.jpg
    whz3rzesr3co.jpg
    438jdu04ngev.jpg
    yfkx0onnzkw0.jpg
    hz9fqs0lbo4u.jpg
    006.JPG 283.6K
    007.JPG 286.6K
    008.JPG 297.5K
    009.JPG 298.7K
    010.JPG 286.7K
    001.JPG 285.5K
    002.JPG 302.9K
    Post edited by marvda1 on
    Puritan PSM156
  • marvda1
    edited May 2016
    dskip's room.
    pc1dhb1r43dc.jpg
    3obw0ypg0c2x.jpg
    r9fzad1qfx33.jpg
    3euaqm69c3l9.jpg
    011.JPG 272.2K
    012.JPG 279.6K
    013.JPG 296.5K
    014.JPG 263.6K
    Puritan PSM156
  • marvda1
    mark's maggies driven by a krell integrated.
    wucnf949bjdm.jpg
    guu7wmfikkvj.jpg
    015.JPG 289.5K
    016.JPG 281.5K
    Puritan PSM156