My personal 3960 for sale, reduced price.

madmax
madmax Posts: 12,434
edited September 2004 in For Sale (FS) Classifieds
Well, I have a new tv to pay for so this must go. I've been charging $250 for these but this one (like some others) have a little pfttt sound when it changes tracks. It isn't something that has gone bad, just a mute switch design flaw. Some do it, some don't. Not a big deal but you can hear it. Of course it has the glorious 3960 sound and the pic quality is excellent. (especially with HD tvs!). I put my best modding talent into this one. Probably about 12 hours labor. Everything is damped, all the Vinney mods and of course many of my own. It weighs about 4 times more than a stock one. The vent design on the top panel looks really cool as well. This unit is about a month old and has just completed break in. I will make myself another one just like it once the cash flow improves.

$200 plus $15 shipping in the US.

Thanks for looking,
madmax
Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
Post edited by madmax on

Comments

• madmax
    edited September 2004
    Here is a gut pic.

• madmax
    edited September 2004
    BTW, the top cover actually looks much better than the pic.
    madmax

• madmax
    edited September 2004
    SOLD to the man in the third row! 4 minutes to sell something on the polk site. That has to be a freakin record!

Thanks to all that looked at it.
    madmax

• madmax
    edited September 2004
    Up for sale again. $200 or best reasonable offer. I need some cash...
    madmax

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,711
    edited September 2004
    So much for the record, eh?

I listened to this very unit last night and I gotta tell you it sounds pretty damn good. He did a great job on it and the number holes on top look like it was done at the factory. For $200.00 you can't go wrong.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• dcarlson
    dcarlson Posts: 1,740
    edited September 2004
    PM'd. :)
    SDA-2a, Anthem Pre-2L, Anthem Amp 1, MF A324 DAC, Rotel RCD1070

Senn HD650 Cardas, Mapletree Audio Ear+ HD2, Kimber KS1030, Bel Canto DAC2, M-Audio Transit, Laptop.
  • madmax
    edited September 2004
    SOLD! Again!

Zero, I'll probably do another one in the future. If you are interested at that time let me know.

madmax

• 2+2
    2+2 Posts: 546
    edited September 2004
    Pardon the ignorance...but what is this? A modified DVD player? What is modified that it weighs that much more? Just curious....
    System 1: Martin Logan Vantage, Rotel RC 1070, B&K Reference 200.2, Music Hall DAC 15.2, Yamaha 2300

System 2: LSi15 w/db840, Marantz SR8400, Rotel 1080, RM6800 (C&S), Sony X2020ES

System 3: LSi7, Yamaha SW215, Music Hall Maven, Music Hall MMF CD25 w/627opamps

System 4: RTi100, Harman Kardon AVR 230, Panasonic DVD
  • madmax
    edited September 2004
    On many of the audio websites people are taking these dvd players and modifying them to play redbook CD's (your standard CD) through the analog outputs as well as ones costing up to $2K. They only cost $70 new, add about $75 worth of parts and you have a tremendous CD player for a fraction of the cost of many others. Everything on them just happens to work well together and work well with the mods. Here is the history of some of the ones I've worked on.

http://clubpolk.polkaudio.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=20448

madmax

• 2+2
    2+2 Posts: 546
    edited September 2004
    Interesting...got it... bump.
    System 1: Martin Logan Vantage, Rotel RC 1070, B&K Reference 200.2, Music Hall DAC 15.2, Yamaha 2300

System 2: LSi15 w/db840, Marantz SR8400, Rotel 1080, RM6800 (C&S), Sony X2020ES

System 3: LSi7, Yamaha SW215, Music Hall Maven, Music Hall MMF CD25 w/627opamps

System 4: RTi100, Harman Kardon AVR 230, Panasonic DVD
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,970
    edited September 2004
    Max, Ill give ya a free bump here...

That looks to be SOLID work...and if I wasnt in the hole...Id take it :D

Just curious, if I were interested in a unit later, would u do one for me :p:D;) :cool:
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • madmax
    edited September 2004
    No bump needed as it is already sold. Do one for you? See the problem is that I like to put holes in the lid and if you spill armor-all inside it might not work too well... :D

Of course I would. :)

madmax

• audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited September 2004
    Just kinda curious here, just what do you mod on these things? I've never really run into this before and have absolutely no clue about it. What do you mod? How? How expensive is that whole process? Anything I could know about it?.....

Thanks
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • dcarlson
    edited September 2004
    Received it today. :)

I had a quick listen at lunch. So far it sounds good. I need to have a long listen before I make any real judgements.

Great transaction. It didn't take long to get here at all. A little over a week.

Senn HD650 Cardas, Mapletree Audio Ear+ HD2, Kimber KS1030, Bel Canto DAC2, M-Audio Transit, Laptop.
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,862
    edited September 2004
    good to see transactions work well with border...I always wondered how that would work
  • dcarlson
    edited September 2004
    Now, I just have to wait for a bill in the mail for duties and whatever.

As long as it's shipped USPS everything is usually cool. You have to expect to pay some tax though.

UPS however will tack on a nasty brokerage fee and include the tax.

• Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,862
    edited September 2004
    ahh there it is so we do have to pay duty......even if it used !! darn governments !! so thats it you paid Madmax he shipped and you wait for duty bill ? thats not bad

thanks
  • madmax
    edited September 2004
    Glad it arived safely! It will sound better when warm. It will turn itself off so to warm it up I would just play a CD through before critical listening. Forgot to mention, the power connector is one of the Cryo'd ones. A replacement 14 guage standard cord would be a good upgrade. Unfortunately I didn't have any around. I think you will be pleased. Try the video if you have an HDTV. It is pretty awesome!
    madmax

• dcarlson
    edited September 2004
    I hooked it up with a Signal Cable power for the time being. I'll give it a shot with a Cardas power cable I've got as well.

I don't have an HDTV, just a 27" Panasonic bubble screen. When I turned on the video it was blank, nothing. My initial thought was "Oh crap", I double checked the connections and everything was fine. Picked up the remote and took off the progressive scan and viola, a picture. It was definetely much clearer than my PS2. I'm using an s-video cable and I'll have to go pick a component cable.

It's interesting that it has to warm up. Was it like that before the mods?

• madmax
    edited September 2004
    It probably was but the thing is that in stock form it warmed up immediately, then got hot, then hotter, then a plastic burning smell etc. I learned this early on. All the ones I've done have never been heat soaked because the first thing I do is to remove the cover before burn in. Of course after venting it this is no longer a problem but it does take awhile longer to reach a "warmed up" condition. You can sit a magazine or something on the top for a little while if you are in a hurry to listen.

Oh, sorry about the progressive scan setting... :eek:

About warmup: I never gave it much thought before getting into tubes where there is a big difference between cold and warmed up. After getting used to this I started warming up all my equipment for about an hour before listening. Guess what I found out. Even with SS equipment it makes a huge difference. Before doing this I would turn the system on one day and it sounded great and another day it would suck. Over and over. For the longest time I thought it was me, the weather, the ac power etc. Turns out that this stopped happening after I started my warm up procedure. :)

madmax