friends and family lsim

Options
jghglofer
jghglofer Posts: 100
edited April 2016 in Speakers
by now most of us that was able to take advantage of the 50% off deal and the great deal polk ebay had on the cherry 705's should be unpacked and trying to find the sweet spot for their new lsim i am loving mine how about you

Comments

• jghglofer
    Options
    not sure how i posted in the classifieds
  • Legender
    Legender Posts: 478
    Options
    You're ahead of me. Bought the 703's directly from Polk and they came yesterday via Fedex. The 705's I purchased of ebay polk store, cheaper than the 1/2 off and with free shipping, are to be delivered on Tuesday from SAIA freight lines; they've already called and set it up. So I'm not there yet. But hope to have a great Tuesday evening unpacking, swapping out the LSI 15s and being enveloped in sound. Just picked up a 'new to me' Adcom 5500 for the 705s.
    Congrats on your purchase/delivery and yes, enjoy.
    Music: Oppo103 - Parasound JC2 - Parasound A21- SDA 3.1
    Theater: Denon 3808 - B&K 7500/Emotiva XPA-3- RTi12, CSi5, RTiA7x4, PSW505
    Sleeping: Marantz 70005 - Harman Kardon 2400 - SDA 2
    2 Channel: Cary 306 SACD - Canary Audio 906 - Pass Labs x250 - PS Audio Perfectwave DAC, Polk LSiM705, SVS SB13 Ultra
    Office: Dell Optiplex, Emotiva XDA-2, Adcom 5500, LSiM 703
    Spares: Yamaha CA-810; LSi 15; Kenwood Basic M2a, Yamaha M60/M80, Polk Monitor 7, SVS SB13 Ultra
  • robert0507
    robert0507 Posts: 148
    Options
    Got me some Lsim 702's to complete my setup with the 707 and 706 up front and 4 Lsim f/x in ceiling speakers for Atmos setup. I'm in surround heaven. Now just waiting for my Rythmik sub to get here and my new OLED...spent a lot but should last me for years....
  • voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    Options
    Sounds great everyone, Enjoy them Polk's B)
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • jghglofer
    Options
    @legender mine came fedex but in great shape not a scratch i read where some of the polk refurbs can be a little ruff
  • Rich502
    Rich502 Posts: 146
    Options
    My 705s came in last Friday, via FedEx Ground. The boxes were just lying in to the FedEx truck with a hundred other boxes scattered. Luckily, they arrived in perfect condition even though the boxes showed some deformities. No credit to FedEx really but to Polk for the way the 705s are packaged. Would have still preferred they came freight since I was charged for freight.
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,433
    edited April 2016
    Options
    You new guys get your speakers hooked up and run some music through them for a couple of days! Pay attention to how they sound when you first set them up, and to how they sound after about 20 hrs, minimum. I'm curious to hear your impressions.

I started with 703's about 2 years ago. Just got 705's this last F&F. Love the LSiM's. They seem to get better and better over time.

I've been breaking mine in running them full range with no sub for the past week and a half or so, and I leave the system running at low volume during the day. Bass didn't really start to come in until the second day, and then seemed to gain presence over the few days following.
    I disabled signatures.
  • Legender
    Options
    Just hooked up the 703s last night but did not run them very long. Will probably set them up to run for about 20 hours straight this week and then see what happens. Hopefully the 705s arrive tomorrow as planned and they will get the same treatment.
    2 Channel: Cary 306 SACD - Canary Audio 906 - Pass Labs x250 - PS Audio Perfectwave DAC, Polk LSiM705, SVS SB13 Ultra
    Spares: Yamaha CA-810; LSi 15; Kenwood Basic M2a, Yamaha M60/M80, Polk Monitor 7, SVS SB13 Ultra
  • jghglofer
    Options
    I bought my 703's about a month ago and when i fist hooked them up I thought I was going to have to send them back. I thought they sounded like crap I was disappointed. but after about a week I noticed how they came alive I was listening to the Eagles hell freezes over tour and man Hotel California never sounded so good. I cant wait to get my man cave done so I can get them all in place.
  • dkfreebird
    dkfreebird Posts: 1,182
    Options
    Legender wrote: »
    Just picked up a 'new to me' Adcom 5500 for the 705s.
    Hope you enjoy the Adcom with them. :)
    2 Channel
    Polk 1.2tl's Modded with dreadnought
    Musical Fidelity M6Si
    North Star Intenso Dac
    Auralic Aries Mini Streamer
    Oppo 103
    Pangea PC
    Wireworld Equinox 7 interconnects
    Wireworld Equinox 7 Speaker Cables and Jumpers

Backups 2.3tl, Crs+ pin/blade with stands.Monitor 5 peerless,Monitor 4 peerless,Polk R200,McCormack Dna 0.5 Deluxe McCormack Dna 1,Dared Sl 2000A,Dayens Ampino Rogue Magnum 66 pre
  • Rich502
    Options
    Only have aground 5-7 hours on the 705s. How many hours would be considered a normal break-in period? 50 hours? I want to hold off on any in depth impressions until they get a few more hours on them, although I do have some initial impressions and it's very positive.
  • Rich502
    Options
    Couple of pics after unboxing.

y78sxsb2wn44.jpeg
  • polk500
    polk500 Posts: 1,171
    Options
    Had my 705'S for 9 months now and I still smile every time I listen to music or play a movie.

Enjoy
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,433
    edited April 2016
    Options
    jghglofer wrote: »
    I bought my 703's about a month ago and when i fist hooked them up I thought I was going to have to send them back. I thought they sounded like crap I was disappointed. but after about a week I noticed how they came alive I was listening to the Eagles hell freezes over tour and man Hotel California never sounded so good. I cant wait to get my man cave done so I can get them all in place.
    I had a similar experience. I was giving 703's a shot as a recommendation as a better speaker for music because I was not having a satisfactory experience for music with the RTi10's I'd previously purchased. They were great for tv stuff, but just didn't do it for me music wise. At first, aside from impressive output for their size, I didn't think the 703's were much different than the RTi10's. They they started to open up and they began to fill out and sounded smoother. They're still some of my favorite speakers.
    Rich502 wrote: »
    Only have aground 5-7 hours on the 705s. How many hours would be considered a normal break-in period? 50 hours? I want to hold off on any in depth impressions until they get a few more hours on them, although I do have some initial impressions and it's very positive.
    Lookin' good Rich!

If you like them at 5-7hrs, see what you think after 20hrs. I've seen general estimates for speaker break-in upwards of 120 to 200hrs.

I didn't really listen too closely until around 4hrs on them and noticed them to be smooth, balanced, and detailed without being harsh. At around the 20hr mark, I started to notice greater bass presence; it seemed a bit restrained and slight earlier on. They just seem to have gotten sweeter from there. I haven't had them 2 weeks yet, and like @polk500 I've been catching myself shaking my head and smiling at how pleasing they sound. My understanding is that they just get better and better, and that's what I noticed with 703's as well. I've had those for about two years, and I catch myself thinking sometimes, "maaan, that sounds good."
    I disabled signatures.
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,369
    Options
    Above about a hundred hours seemed to do the trick on 703s and 707s for me. They sounded muffled and congested before using them for about a month.
  • Legender
    Options
    LSiM 705s are in the house. Excellent shipping from Polk Ebay store through SAIA freight company. Driver brought them right into the house. Quick unboxing showed absolutely no signs of damage or issues and they worked flawlessly right from the start. At nearly 60% of list I'm pretty pleased with this purchase. Need some more time with them but they are definitely a step up from the LSi 15s and I'm sure will be more than adequate to serve my listening needs for years to come. The cherry finish makes them a very nice piece of furniture. Just need to get some time on them.
    Currently have them powered via my older Kenwood Basic M2A but they seem pretty happy.
  • larlane
    larlane Posts: 28
    Options
    Got a mint used pair of 705's for a great price about a month ago. Replaced A7's. Difference is night and day. Unfortunately, once I was cured of upgradeitis, flu/bronchitis set in about a week later. Hard to appreciate good speakers when the only thing you can hear is your own breathing and voice.

• voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    Options
    larlane wrote: »
    Got a mint used pair of 705's for a great price about a month ago. Replaced A7's. Difference is night and day. Unfortunately, once I was cured of upgradeitis, flu/bronchitis set in about a week later. Hard to appreciate good speakers when the only thing you can hear is your own breathing and voice.

yep, that is just not fair! Hope you get better soon you you can ROCK ON!
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • Legender
    Options
    Congrats on the speaker find. Just turn them up when you're drinking your hot tea and let the bass vibrations knock that stuff out. Hope you can hear their full sound soon.
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    Options
    Congrats on the speaker find. Just turn them up when you're drinking your hot tea and let the bass vibrations knock that stuff out. Hope you can hear their full sound soon.

Thumbs up

When I get clogged up I go eat Pho Vietnamese soup, get it good and spicy with chili oil and jalapeno's. Sit close to the restroom so I can go blow my nose a couple times while eating....bam do this 2 days in a row, booger head all cleared up
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • mikeyb128
    mikeyb128 Posts: 2,885
    Options
    txcoastal1 wrote: »

Thumbs up

When I get clogged up I go eat Pho Vietnamese soup, get it good and spicy with chili oil and jalapeno's. Sit close to the restroom so I can go blow my nose a couple times while eating....bam do this 2 days in a row, booger head all cleared up

Totally agree, this is my remedy for when I feel a cold coming on. It also helps if you're all bunged up!
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• Azguy
    Azguy Posts: 16
    Options
    Seems like I missed out on a FaF deal. Never saw an email.
  • vmaxer
    vmaxer Posts: 5,116
    Options
    Azguy wrote: »

Have you signed up for email notifications on the Polk site??
    Pio Elete Pro 520
    Panamax 5400-EX
    Sunfire TGP 5
    Micro Seiki DD-40 - Lyra-Dorian and Denon DL-160
    PS Audio GCPH phono pre
    Sunfire CG 200 X 5
    Sunfire CG Sig 405 X 5
    OPPO BDP-83 SE
    SDA SRS 1.2TL Sonicaps and Mills
    Ctr CS1000p
    Sur - FX1000 x 4
    SUB - SVS PB2-Plus

Workkout room:
    Sony Bravia XBR- 32-Inch 1080p
    Onkyo TX-DS898
    GFA 555
    Yamaha DVD-S1800BL/SACD
    Ft - SDA 1C

Not being used:
    RTi 38's -4
    RT55i's - 2
    RT25i's -2, using other 2 in shop
    LSI 15's
    CSi40
    PSW 404
  • Azguy
    edited April 2016
    Options
    vmaxer wrote: »
    Azguy wrote: »

Have you signed up for email notifications on the Polk site??

Sure have.
    Would've jumped on a pr of 705's had I known.
  • Legender
    Options
    @azguy Might want to keep an eye on on the ebay store also. Some of us got better deals from the Polk store on Ebay at the same time the the F&F deal was announced.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,794
    Options
    Hello! The Polk store on eBay is selling refurbished or blemished products. The F&F deal are BRAND NEW products.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Azguy
    Options
    When was the F&F deal?
    Last one I knew of and got in on was March of last yr.
  • Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,519
    Options
    Couple weeks ago
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound