Bottlehead Crack

Comments

• ALL212
    ALL212 Posts: 1,553
    No bronze...no bronze. That crap hurts when you pour it on yourself!

Sounds good. Should get much better. I'm running it with cheap tubes, no speedball and the little tiny itty bitty stock electrolytic caps.

Senn's - HD650's.

Bass a bit tubby. Midrange wonderful. Treble is good.
    Aaron
    Enabler Extraordinaire
  • ALL212
    Well...sometime the bad isn't so much bad. I realized that if I had put those big caps in I'd not have gotten the speedball in without removing them. So - Speedball is installed, tested and playing. Only thing left now is the big kids.

hqza260bt2t2.jpg

With the good tubes:
    0wwe5x4aa1mo.jpg

Aaron
    Enabler Extraordinaire
  • ALL212
    Finis...

9brj75o1lyg1.jpg
    Aaron
    Enabler Extraordinaire
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    ALL212 wrote: »
    Finis...

No your not.....review????? :|

Damn nice work :)

2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • mrbiron
    mrbiron Posts: 5,711
    When do you start mass production?
    Where’s the KABOOM?!?! There’s supposed to be an Earth shattering KABOOM!!!
  • ALL212
    txcoastal1 wrote: »
    Finis...

No your not.....review????? :|

Damn nice work :)

Remember the first time you opened up a Penthouse and found the foldout?
    Yeeeeeuupppp....it's that good.
    Aaron
    Enabler Extraordinaire
  • mrbiron
    Big, fuzzy bush good!?!?
    On second thought, I'll pass....
  • ALL212
    mrbiron wrote: »
    When do you start mass production?

Might need to think about that... ;) This crap is work!
    Aaron
    Enabler Extraordinaire
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    Big, fuzzy bush good!?!?

Demi Moore and Don King popped into my head :#
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,638
    txcoastal1 wrote: »
    Big, fuzzy bush good!?!?

Demi Moore and Don King popped into my head :#

Hopefully not together...
  • voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    Finis...

9brj75o1lyg1.jpg

Whats wrong with this picture? the fact that I don't own one :p excellent work again Aaron. kudos! if you ever want to sell it pick me pick me ;)
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • ALL212
    Alriiiiiight!
    I populated the boards, just need to make the connection. Raking and a Bathroom rehab take precedence over doing a speedball.

So.... where the heck are we with this. I've upheld my end of the bargain - to annoy you. Now...where's this Crack at?
    Aaron
    Enabler Extraordinaire
  • mrbiron
    Hehehe.......it's....uh.....oh, how do I say this without incriminating myself.

The Crack is in my rack
    with the speedball in the back
    Though due to my lack
    of sack
    I know that **** is whack
    But I haven't been back
    And I sound like a quack
    But wife has me cleaning and using a vac
    Instead of finishing the Crack
    And telling you this makes me wanna yack!
    I wish I could scream FACK!
    That's the truth jack.

Yeah.......so I haven't even burned in the crack yet. I might have about 8hrs +- in the last 4 months....

Don't make this thread about me bucko! :D
  • ALL212
    Nice rap man...nice rap!! :s

If you need help just yell... B)
    Aaron
    Enabler Extraordinaire
  • mrbiron
    I'm hip! HAHA!!

It's funny that you mention my lack of involvement with my "crack". I actually made a honey-do-list, for myself, and midway down the 40something item page, i have "finish crack".

I do need help. I've been searching the interweb for the last couple of weeks looking for a set of HD600's but there is nothing in my budget of *free*. (only have Fidelio X2s). I really wanted to actually listen to before and after to fully appreciate the speedball. In order to do so, i need headphones that will justify the adventure.

Also, i can't have my crack in the living room as my wife complained about being able to hear the music i was listening to. In order to listen, i need a small DAC to make her mobile. I'm on the hunt for this too.

Once completing this ever growing list of "excuses", i was then going to commission you to build me a BAC. :p ..........kidding
  • ALL212
    The last modification...or is it? :o

Could get the volume from 6 to 9 but that was it. Higher than 9 and my ears were bleeding. I tried some 1/4 watt resistors for 20db of attenuation but that was too much. This setup is closer to 10db. I can swing the volume past 3 now and depending on the recording level a bit past that. Dropping down to 7 or 8 db would probably be better but this works. One of them is a 51k ohm, the other a 56k ohm.

These are Takman REY 1 watt metal film resistors. The leads are heavy enough to use as solder points. In order to get all that ground wire in I used a heavy lead from some component and made a ground "post" from left to right channel.

I'm not sure if it's because this is breaking in or because of this mod but I feel the bass came up a bit. It's nice.

Overall the sound is the best I have here. I can have headphones on for hours, no fatigue. Soundstage is amazing.

s9igbh7o8zsl.jpg
    Aaron
    Enabler Extraordinaire
  • mrbiron
    What's left to upgrade?
  • ALL212
    I really hate to let this thread just soak so ....

I just ordered the Mainline. Could be a Crack for sale in the next couple of months!
    Aaron
    Enabler Extraordinaire
  • mrbiron
    Whoa big dog!
    You selling the crack or BAC? ;)
  • ALL212
    The highly modded CRACK. The BAC is mine for life! Well...unless the Mainline blows my skirt up. Now...go ahead and get that image out of your head!!!!
    Aaron
    Enabler Extraordinaire
  • mrbiron
    I've never met you but i imagine you're a 26yo hot brunette so that works for me!
  • voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    I think a lot of people would be standing in line if you choose to sell your Bottlehead!

At first I used the other word...but I offended myself so bad I had to erase it.
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • mrbiron
    He's not a CRACK dealer if that's what you weRe implying :D
  • ALL212
    This does put me in a awkward position (so to speak) when attempting to sell this thing doesn't it?!! :#

I'll post here when I've made a decision on whether to sell and what price. I'll probably give the RAS guys a first shot, then post here, then put it up for sale if no one wants it.
    Aaron
    Enabler Extraordinaire
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    I'll be at Axpona on Sunday with my brother and my wife. Looking forward to it. Sorry that I'm going to miss you and the IL group. It's been way too long.
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • ALL212
    I'll be there on Friday, probably Saturday, not sure about Sunday. Probably be wearing a Bottlehead hat - if you spot me - say "Hey!".
    Aaron
    Enabler Extraordinaire
  • mrbiron
    Just a hat?
    You're one of the top "sponsors" of Bottlehead. You should wear the Crack on your head.
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    I'm in a wheelchair. Pretty easy to spot :smile:
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • ALL212
    edited July 2016
    Ok...Crackheads...

I'm on the fence here about selling my ....ah.... 1st Bottlehead Headphone amp - aka ....the Crack.

It won't go cheap - there's a pile of premium stuff in this thing. Crack kit with Speedball goes for $415 as a pile of parts. I'd probably want about $650 for it and that is just kit + parts and the box, roughly my cost (labor is free). Shipping would be on the purchaser.

Here's my issue. If you purchase it and something goes wrong Bottlehead probably won't take it and fix it. It's way past customized. You'd probably have to send it back to me if the issue couldn't be figured out via email. And there is no guarantee I could fix it either depending on issue without more cost. I'd probably offer a 90 day warranty but after that it would be "your problem". The hard part is not knowing what the purchaser has done to it - or won't admit to have done to it.

Having said all that - It's still not for sale but based on this would there be anyone interested? Is this "deal" too restrictive?

Yes, I'm fishing, but I'd like to work out details before it goes to the yard sale here.
    Aaron
    Enabler Extraordinaire
  • mrbiron
    Mine is covered in dust.....which means I don't need another.

Headfi seems like a good place.....