I was told and I listend

Options
It was suggested to me that I move into the 21st century and start streaming music. So I am now a streamer I think, what I have is a I pod and I steam apple radio threw it into my p5. Is this considered streaming? The I pod signal goes threw a blue tooth box which is connected via the digital optical port in the p5. Any input would be great. Bob.

Comments

• Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,067
    Options
    What is meant is services such as Tidal and Spotify.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    Options
    I use Spotify to mostly listen to new music and check out Band's and artist they other here have mentioned, and to see if maybe I'd want to buy their stuff...

I don't use it to play much music except maybe as background music while I surf!
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • Realistic
    Realistic Posts: 355
    Options
    Well guys I have been listening to the apple radio station all afternoon and I notice that in between some songs there must be to long of a delay because it makes the p5 think there is no audio and I hear 2 clicks one when the song stops and one when it begins. Also when this happens sometimes you miss a split second at the start of the song. I don't care for the repeated clicking, it kinda ruins the music mood and will drive ya nuts after some time. Any advice here would be greatly appreciated.
  • hochpt21
    hochpt21 Posts: 5,423
    Options
    voltz wrote: »
    I use Spotify to mostly listen to new music and check out Band's and artist they other here have mentioned, and to see if maybe I'd want to buy their stuff...

I don't use it to play much music except maybe as background music while I surf!

Whoa dude! Never knew you were a surfer bro.

:)
    2 ChannelTurntable - VPI Classic 2/Ortofon 2M BlueAmplification - Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum II, Parks Audio Budgie PhonoSpeakers - GoldenEar Triton 17.2 Home TheaterDenon AVR-X3300W; Rotel RMB-1066; Klipsch RP-280F's, Klipsch RP-450C, Polk FXi3's, Polk RC60i; Dual SVS PB 2000's; BenQ HT2050; Elite Screens 120"Man CaveTurntable - Pro-Ject 2.9 Wood/Grado GoldAmplification - Dared SL2000a, McCormack DNA 0.5 DeluxeCD: Cambridge AudioSpeakers - Wharfedale Linton 85th Anniversary; LSiM 703; SDA 2A
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    Yes and no....your streaming, but only MP3 quality it appears. Unless you have your music in apple lossless downloaded from cd's or bought that way. If your buying music straight from Apple, it's MP3. If your using a music service, most are MP3 and a few are better.

Not sure on the skips between songs. Could be the Bluetooth, I dunno.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Realistic
    Options
    Thanks Tony, I am loving the p5. I do have all my CD's on the I pod, I was up until 4am and I found spotify I really like this one. You can play radio, and make customized play lists and no issues in between songs nice and seamless.
  • hochpt21
    Options
    Realistic wrote: »
    Thanks Tony, I am loving the p5. I do have all my CD's on the I pod, I was up until 4am and I found spotify I really like this one. You can play radio, and make customized play lists and no issues in between songs nice and seamless.

Yes, there are a number of streaming services...and more appearing all the time it seems.

You can do your research and find whats best for you. You can utilize the free Spotify, which has some limitations on both desktop and the app. Or you can pay $10 per month and those limitations go away.

The $10/mo version allows high-quality streaming which IMO is much better than the free version. I have been very happy with the quality from Spotify on both my desktop and main rig.
    2 ChannelTurntable - VPI Classic 2/Ortofon 2M BlueAmplification - Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum II, Parks Audio Budgie PhonoSpeakers - GoldenEar Triton 17.2 Home TheaterDenon AVR-X3300W; Rotel RMB-1066; Klipsch RP-280F's, Klipsch RP-450C, Polk FXi3's, Polk RC60i; Dual SVS PB 2000's; BenQ HT2050; Elite Screens 120"Man CaveTurntable - Pro-Ject 2.9 Wood/Grado GoldAmplification - Dared SL2000a, McCormack DNA 0.5 DeluxeCD: Cambridge AudioSpeakers - Wharfedale Linton 85th Anniversary; LSiM 703; SDA 2A
  • tonyb
    Options
    Cool man, just an FYI on the radio. If there is a station you don't see, or heard about or from some foreign land, just add the URL and bang. You can pretty much grab any radio station from around the planet.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Realistic
    Options
    I did not know any of that. I am new to the streaming thing.
  • Realistic
    Options
    Yes I am going to spend the money on spotify, I like it. Can you buy music on spotify ?
  • Realistic
    Options
    Really enjoying streaming, I am playing music I haven't heard since I was in high school. Kinda feeling antique.....
  • voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    Options
    Having one of the major streaming services is a plus, for finding new music or re-discovering old one like you said! If I hear something I like I then go and buy it either on CD or Vinyl..
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • hochpt21
    Options
    Yes I am going to spend the money on spotify, I like it. Can you buy music on spotify ?

You cannot buy music on Spotify. You can "download" certain albums for offline listening on your mobile device so it doesn't eat up your data, but those albums go away if you drop the service.
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,067
    Options
    Like said, you can't buy music on Spotify. It is a good service to have just for the sheer amount of music at your fingertips and is good to listen to something before buying a superior sounding physical copy. Tidal has CD quality FLAC but once you stop paying you can no longer listen. There is something to be said for actually "owning" the music in physical form.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • Realistic
    Options
    I agree I would rather have a lp or cd and I am building my cd collection. The spotify is nice for me at work on the I pod, I carry it in my shirt pocket, no radio allowed on unless its on a country station and that's a no go zone for me. The I pod may sound really crappy without my ear buds in but its still better than the alternative. I am going to get the membership from spotify I think its worth the money and I will use it daily at work and such.
  • Realistic
    Options
    Yup I have ripped all of my cds they are in the lap top and I put them in the I pod as well.
  • tonyb
    Options
    Your ripping to apple lossless I hope and not MP3. I thought the IPOD was strictly mp3.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Realistic
    Options
    Tony I have no idea what I am doing. You should know that by now in the short time you have known me.... Lol. The I pod is a new toy I got from my wife as a gift, that's what I know about it and that its better to listen to than the loud **** air compressor at work.
  • tonyb
    edited March 2016
    Options
    LOL....I hear ya man. I just want to save you time is all. Always ....always....always rip to apple lossless. You can convert that to mp3 for your IPOD with the click of a mouse.

But....when you burn to MP3 then try to convert to lossless, your losing information. Wouldn't matter much if you don't intend to use the music files on your main rig at home and just solely for IPOD use.

In other words, start with the best quality you can get with what you have. Can always be downgraded from there. If you start at the bottom of the barrel, you won't be able to spit shine a t u rd, know what I'm sayin' ?
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Realistic
    Options
    I get what your saying man, all this stuff is very new and most of the time very confusing to me. That's why I am here, and hope not to wear out my welcome as I am just getting started.
  • Realistic
    Options
    Tony I am going to assume that the Ipod is not a recommended source hooked up to my p5? Could you please tell me what would be a good streaming device for the p5 or do they make something I could hook the ipod to to get a better sound when its running threw the p5.
  • RamZet
    RamZet Posts: 792
    Options
    Nightfall wrote: »
    Like said, you can't buy music on Spotify. It is a good service to have just for the sheer amount of music at your fingertips and is good to listen to something before buying a superior sounding physical copy. Tidal has CD quality FLAC but once you stop paying you can no longer listen. There is something to be said for actually "owning" the music in physical form.

Murfie.com
    Buy the CD and stream it back at FLAC, or download it!
    Mail in your old CDs to add to your streaming collection.

The Murfie CD store is awesome too, buy used or new.
    B&W CM9Classé Sigma
  • tonyb
    Options
    Tony I am going to assume that the Ipod is not a recommended source hooked up to my p5? Could you please tell me what would be a good streaming device for the p5 or do they make something I could hook the ipod to to get a better sound when its running threw the p5.

Nothing short of a hundred or so devices in various price categories. Ipods are great personal listening, portable devices, but fall short when tried to use on a main rig due to their MP3 limitations.

Like I said before, when you rip something into MP3, it leaves out some information that you can't get back. That loss of information isn't always apparent when played back on ear buds or car stereos or budget systems. However when plugged into devices such as your P5 and more revealing systems, that loss of information becomes readily apparent.

If you have a computer, at the very least rip into Apple lossless. You can always convert those files to mp3 for the IPOD. You want to however stream those cd quality lossless files to the P5.

Now, how to do that....a gazillion ways but we can start with the easiest way that doesn't require hardly any effort on your part. That's a Sonos.....best software and ease of use for an entry product streaming cd quality sound.

To further help you though, we need to know what you have. Computer.....router....is the computer located by the stereo or in another room ? Do you have wi-fi now ? Are you using a PC or laptop ?
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Realistic
    Options
    Thanks Tony, I have a Dell laptop, wi-fi and I am not sure about the router I will find out. I am just trying to get the best sound reproduction I can with what I have for now.
  • Polkaguy58
    Polkaguy58 Posts: 352
    Options
    A little old lady neighbor came to my apartment awhile back and asked me if I knew what "this gizmo" was and did I want it ?
    "It" turned out to be a Bose sound dock and though I don't own the type of iPod that plugs into it, I used the 1/8" input and hooked my computer up to it.
    I happened to have this little enclosed shelf system on my work bench that the Bose fit right into, which oddly enough enhanced the rear port and made the thing sound even bigger.
    I'm a big Youtube fan now, because there's a lot of folks that are posting cool videos, where you can actually watch them set the needle down on the album your listening to and they sound pretty damn good through this little Bose.
  • Realistic
    Options
    Thanks for the info.