deleted
Post edited by dharding on

Comments

• Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited September 2004
    Options
    I was just going to post this.

Seller claims to have "improved" them by replacing PR's with 15" active sub's... No mention of what he did, if anything, to the cross-overs. At least he's selling the PR's.

$1999 is not out of line for a pristine pair of SRS's, but these read more like "piss-stained"...

Note that they are sitting next to a pair of Klipsch (Cornwalls???). Kinda explains the tube amps. Kinda says "only recently became an SRS owner".

I'd be very wary...
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • dharding
    dharding Posts: 61
    edited September 2004
    Options
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited September 2004
    Options
    The active woofer could have exercised the midranges a lot more than they would have been had he left the PR alone. I'm not sure it would have hurt them but it makes me a little less excited about the sale. It all depends on how loud he played them and for how long.
    madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • goingganzo
    goingganzo Posts: 2,793
    edited September 2004
    Options
    hey woyld they let these on the plane as cary on? lol i am going to be traveling throgh ca to get to china this thursday so maybe in the way back
  • Tour2ma
    edited September 2004
    Options
    I was thinking the same thing max...

The MW's are used to the pressure relief the PR supplies. A 15's woofer in phase would put up quite a fight I'd think....
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,801
    edited September 2004
    Options
    That may explain the replaced (non Polk) mid driver. IMO, way to much wrong with those speakers to be asking 2K.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Tour2ma
    edited September 2004
    Options
    Actually, Jesse, I think you should borrow a couple of the CA's sub's and do a little experimenting... :D

Edit:
    Which is a replacement MW??? One of the ones in the right speaker or one of the ones in the other picture of the right speaker? :)

On the plus side, the zoom feature in the ad is pretty cool...
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli

• VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,040
    edited September 2004
    Options
    So, in return of his new found noise restrictions....

He sells these and picks up 95-100db Effecient speakers? (The Klipsch beside em)
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • DarqueKnight
    DarqueKnight Posts: 6,765
    edited September 2004
    Options
    You guys are way too picky. This is "near mint" by eBay standards. I don't have any problems with any of the seller's "disclosures":

"I have modified these with the substitution of an active 15" woofer in place of the passive radiator they came with, but this auction includes the original passive radiators should you prefer to change them back to factory specs. I prefer the extra bass of the subs, but in either case you can't go wrong with these."

This might actually sound good. I'm sure the seller did the proper crossover modification calculations to ensure smooth response.

"Also included in the auction is a crossover cable about 15ft long with the correct connectors....."

How often do you find a pair of these classics with the SDA cable included?

"The finish is not perfect...the tops could use refinishing due to watermarks, but you need to be well over 6 ft tall to notice and I don't think it would take much to do it."

I don't know what the threshold is for being "well over" 6 ft tall is. I am a little over 6 ft (6'-1") and I notice the tops of my SRSs very well. It's no big deal about the watermarks though. Nothing in this world is perfect. A little sanding and staining and they'll back good as new.

Also the grill cloth could use replacing....I had a visitor with a cat for a while..( They left rather quickly after that!). All in all they still look great though and I have never worried about it. "

I'll admit that more clarification is needed here. Is he referring to a human female that he pissed off or he referring to an actual feline that either scratched, pissed on, or used the speakers as a litter box?

"One of the 6" drivers has been replaced with a Vifa driver. It's a close match and no sound difference can be discerned, but it's worth noting."

For all we know, he might have sent a working driver to the Vifa factory to be analyzed and electrically matched.

These are a bargain at $2K. If I weren't saving my nickels for a new HDTV, I'd be doing the "Buy It Now" thing.:p
    Proud and loyal citizen of the Digital Domain and Solid State Country!
  • Tour2ma
    edited September 2004
    Options
    :eek: ... had me going for a second there, DK... :cool:
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli

• rskarvan
    rskarvan Posts: 2,374
    edited September 2004
    Options
    Honestly, I would LOVE to hear these speakers.
    I often wondered what an active driver would do in the bottom of my 3.1TL's. I do love bass and, honestly, the PR doesn't quite pound out the bass like an active 12" driver could.

I do understand that adding a big bass driver would screw-up things a bit from a design perspective. However, it could make it better too.

But, yes, $2k is a bit much -- for anything that is less than very-near-mint.
  • vorpalblade
    vorpalblade Posts: 4
    edited September 2004
    Options
    Greetings all.

I have just listed a pair of 1986 SDA SRS for sale on E-Bay for local pickup in Mill Valley Ca. I am the original owner, I would rate the cosmetics an 8 and have been only using the subs for the last 12 years. Yes, the original connect cord is included.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=5722977816&ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,040
    edited September 2004
    Options
    YOU DO REALIZE...

That those speakers have NO subwoofer, right?

The midbasses in those move air within the cabinet, and the air within the cabinet moves the PASSIVE*** radiator. So without the midbasses on, you can't have the 'subwoofer' on...

So my guess is you were running the midbasses (IE: The bottom post)
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • Tour2ma
    edited September 2004
    Options
    Sic 'em, Sid...

vpb,
    Shameless ebay promotions are really not embraced 'round here.
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli

• DarqueKnight
    DarqueKnight Posts: 6,765
    edited September 2004
    Options
    Actually, the speakers for sale by vorpalblade were mentioned in another thread here:

SDA SRS Thread

And in an Audiogon ad here:

SRS ad on Audiogon
    Proud and loyal citizen of the Digital Domain and Solid State Country!
  • vorpalblade
    vorpalblade Posts: 4
    edited September 2004
    Options
    But, I did buy these speakers in 1986, they have not moved from the room I placed them in since then. My only motive is to sell these at a fair price to someone who needs and appreciates them.

That's all folks