FLAC through Pioneer Elite VSX-01TXH?

2»

Comments

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    ZenDawgg wrote: »
    Currently my digital are CD rips to FLAC, HDTracks FLAC, and Rhapsody streaming.

Digital is nice for the convenience factor.

I hear ya, and many agree, the convenience factor is off the charts. Given what your using, I'd say don't lose sleep over DSD and get a decent dac, decent cables, and run everything through it. It will even make Rhapsody sound better.

I currently just use cd rips and Rhapsody through a Sonos to a Cary dac. That way I can stream everything and even use my phone with the free apps to control it. I prefer a bigger screen though so I just use a tablet. Probably the easiest way to get your feet wet in streaming digital music around. The only caveat is that it won't do any higher than cd quality. Bluesound, another similar device, will though.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • tonyb
    I should note, that's not MY preferred method, but I'm forced by marital status to use the KISS method. Keep it simple stupid....and if simplicity along with cd quality is all you aspire to these days, Sonos is pretty hard to beat in those regards.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • tonyb wrote: »
    I hear ya, and many agree, the convenience factor is off the charts. Given what your using, I'd say don't lose sleep over DSD and get a decent dac, decent cables, and run everything through it. It will even make Rhapsody sound better.

So....in theory I can put off the Pre for now. I can run my HTPC (connected to NAS and Internet stream) through a good DAC to the Amp to the speakers?

I control the HTPC via TeamViewer remote software.

The only downside of this is when I'd want to watch movie/TV, I'd have to switch two cables around.

Still....it would be interesting to hear the results., especially if I get another set of MIT AVt3 ICs.

HT : Pioneer Elite VSX-01TXH | Sony BDP-S350 | Parasound HCA 1500A | LSiM 703's | SVS SB-2000 | Polk Audio RM101 | Polk Audio RM7 | Sharp Aquos 52" LED | Speaker Cables - MIT AVt3 | ICs - MIT AVt3 | Harmony One

Headphones : Sennheiser HD-600 | Little Dot MK III tube amp | HRT - Music Streamer II DAC
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    @ZenDawgg
    Yes in theory as some Dac's are better suited as running as a DAC/preamp...like the Wyred4Sound DAC 2 with remote
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • tonyb
    tonyb wrote: »

So....in theory I can put off the Pre for now. I can run my HTPC (connected to NAS and Internet stream) through a good DAC to the Amp to the speakers?

The only downside of this is when I'd want to watch movie/TV, I'd have to switch two cables around.

Still....it would be interesting to hear the results., especially if I get another set of MIT AVt3 ICs.

tonyb wrote: »

Eh....yes and no. Separate dacs for the most part are for music, they won't do HT conversions like DD or DTS HD master audio for multi channel use such as movies provide. I assume your using your computer for that ? Hardwired ? What type of connection are you using from the computer to the amps ? Is there something else in the chain ? Are you watching movies in 2 channel or 5-7.1 ?

Most dacs have various inputs, so if the scenario is right, it could just be as simple as changing inputs on the dac for HTPC or music instead of having to swap cables.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • If I did get a separate DAC it would just be for the Music portion.

My current set up is Dual, Cable Box, BluRay, AVR, AMP, Speakers, Computer connected to AVR via HDMI. I guess I really shouldn’t call it HTPC since all I do is Internet Streaming and FLAC files. I don’t actually stream movies etc.

So… I was thinking of the separate DAC just for the music portion. PC-DAC-AMP. That was why I was saying I’d have to switch cables when I wanted to watch Movies/TV.

Although I could run the input through the AVR.. I’d want to see the difference without the AVR.
    HT : Pioneer Elite VSX-01TXH | Sony BDP-S350 | Parasound HCA 1500A | LSiM 703's | SVS SB-2000 | Polk Audio RM101 | Polk Audio RM7 | Sharp Aquos 52" LED | Speaker Cables - MIT AVt3 | ICs - MIT AVt3 | Harmony One

Headphones : Sennheiser HD-600 | Little Dot MK III tube amp | HRT - Music Streamer II DAC
  • txcoastal1 wrote: »
    @ZenDawgg
    Yes in theory as some Dac's are better suited as running as a DAC/preamp...like the Wyred4Sound DAC 2 with remote

I guess since most of my listening is 85% music 15% TV movies that might be a good option over the P5. I'll keep monitoring the percentages.

• tonyb
    If I did get a separate DAC it would just be for the Music portion.

My current set up is Dual, Cable Box, BluRay, AVR, AMP, Speakers, Computer connected to AVR via HDMI. I guess I really shouldn’t call it HTPC since all I do is Internet Streaming and FLAC files. I don’t actually stream movies etc.

So… I was thinking of the separate DAC just for the music portion. PC-DAC-AMP. That was why I was saying I’d have to switch cables when I wanted to watch Movies/TV.

Although I could run the input through the AVR.. I’d want to see the difference without the AVR.

G
    If I did get a separate DAC it would just be for the Music portion.

Gotcha......a pre with HT pass threw should be all you need, hence the P5 suggestions. It is probably your best bet as it does have a decent dac in it too and the used prices are now in the 8-900 range.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's