In praise of JL Audio

ROHfan
ROHfan Posts: 1,014
edited May 2015 in Car Audio & Electronics
So, this is the system I've been running for the past week in my Dodge Journey, all by JL Audio:

Cleansweep LOC
JX360/4 ran in bridged mode, stereo
Audio JX250/1 monoblock sub amp
Audio C3/600 component speakers
Audio CS112LG-TW1-2 sealed sub

I didn't ever think I would have a system in my car that would sound this good. But, I'm not quite done.

I'm adding a Pioneer deck that features an active three-way crossover network and has Wolfson DACs. This will replace the awful stock head unit, but I will retain the usage of the Uconnect 4.3 touch screen via a retrofit dash unit that incorporates the new deck with the original touch screen. I can't wait to hear what it sounds like.

As punchy as the sub is, it kind of disappears into the music, never really calling attention to itself but still maintaining authority. "Get Into It," by Bonnie Raitt, just punches me in the chest, as does "Run" by Pink Floyd and Rush's "Natural Science."

I've mounted the component tweeters above the door panels even with the side view mirrors and it gives off a very detailed and full soundstage, one which I wasn't expecting. And the component mids give the kick drum the perfect amount of "bite" to the sub to make it sound so coherent.

I'll update this review once the Pio is installed and I've had some time to play with it. Of course, I won't need the Cleansweep anymore once the new deck is installed so I may offer it for sale here soon.

TV: 65" Samsung QLED 4K
Fronts: Energy RC70 --- Center: Energy RC-LCR
Front Heights: Polk RC65i --- Rears: Polk RC85i --- Sub: Power Sound Audio XS15
Pioneer VSX-1120K --- Parasound HCA-1000A --- Oppo BDP-103
Vincent Audio SA31 preamp --- Teac UD301 DAC
AIYIMA Tube T7 preamp --- Nobsound 12AX7 tube preamplifier

Comments

• Conradicles
    Conradicles Posts: 6,010
    Very nice system. They do make some great speakers.
  • WLDock
    WLDock Posts: 3,073
    JL makes solid gear! Glad its working for you.
    2.2 Office Setup | LG 29UB55 21:9 UltraWide | HP Probook 630 G8 | Dell Latitude | Cabasse Stream Amp 100 | Boston Acoustics VS 240 | AUDIORAX Desk Stands | Mirage Omni S8 sub1 | Mirage Omni S8 Sub2
  • mikeyb128
    mikeyb128 Posts: 2,885
    JL is awesome! I remember lusting after JL subs in high school, but couldn't afford them. I now have one is my project car (aka garage queen). And one day will have one of their home audio subs.
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• ROHfan
    Just as an update, I wound up buying a Kicker. It's a 12" in a ported enclosure, don't remember the model off hand, but I'm liking it a lot more than the JL sub. The JL just didn't integrate well with the other speakers, which is odd, because the others are all JL as well. The Kicker has a much tighter and harder hitting bass and I believe it digs lower, also.
  • WLDock
    WLDock Posts: 3,073
    Trial, integration, and tuning is everything! Its the only way to get there. Glad you found what you are looking for.
    2.2 Office Setup | LG 29UB55 21:9 UltraWide | HP Probook 630 G8 | Dell Latitude | Cabasse Stream Amp 100 | Boston Acoustics VS 240 | AUDIORAX Desk Stands | Mirage Omni S8 sub1 | Mirage Omni S8 Sub2
  • ROHfan
    WLDock wrote: »
    Trial, integration, and tuning is everything! Its the only way to get there. Glad you found what you are looking for.

Thanks, dude!