Headphones recommendations

I know Christmas is just over, but I was thinking about getting a "nice" headphone (I know nice is very subjective) and one of those Schiit amp (Magni 2 or Vali 2)
Not sure yet about the source though
I was reading about the Sennheiser HD800, but way too much $$ for my budget
Then I saw some reviews about the Audio Technica ATH-M50x...
Anyway, I'm open to any suggestions/recommendations
Thanks
RTiA5 + CSiA4 + Jamo SW410E
Yamaha TSR-700 (equivalent to RX V6A)
No surround...yet

Comments

• are those better than the Audio Technica ATH-M50:
    http://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-ATH-M50-Professional-Monitor-Headphones/dp/B000ULAP4U
    Or it's simply a question of taste?
    No surround...yet
  • chumlie
    chumlie Posts: 8,658
    A matter of taste. I like the Grado's.
  • Biggest problem is to find a place where I could try them before buying.....!!!!
    No surround...yet
  • cnh
    cnh Posts: 13,284
    edited January 2016
    Chumlie is right. You need to get your ears on some of these because it is subjective. I'm not a fan of Grado sound. I have a pair of M-50s, HD-600s, and AKG Q701s. Each has a different sound. And there is the question of open or closed headphones?

Some people like M-50s others find them too bassy and loose down there and a bit bright on top. Some like the Senn 600s for their neutrality and clean mids, but they don't have a lot of bass. AKGs have a huge sound stage, but not everyone cares for them, they are sometimes described as too analytic or bland.

Also, M-50s to HD800s is one heck of a price range. Could you narrow down what you want to spend. For example, I would never spend more the $300 on "any" set of cans and even that's a bit much for me.

In that range there are still dozens of players, especially on "sale". HiFi Man, Grados, Senns, Beyerdynamic, AKG, Philips, Audio Technica, and, and, and...
    Currently orbiting Bowie's Blackstar.!

Polk Lsi-7s, Def Tech 8" sub, HK 3490, HK HD 990 (CDP/DAC), AKG Q701s
    [sig. changed on a monthly basis as I rotate in and out of my stash]
  • I would consider $150 as a max....
    Main use won't be for travel, but why not use them when I'm flying for business trips? So maybe a closed one might be a better choice?
    I will also have to look for a player....What about the Fiio X3 2nd gen?
    No surround...yet
  • seabeerob213
    seabeerob213 Posts: 1,840
    I have the first gen, it's pretty great.
    2 Channel(work in progress):DAC: Schiit modi 2 uberAmp:Parasound 1200 MK IISub:RBH 1010-SEP Speakers: Monitor 5A peerlesscurrently running some krk rokit 3g since the HK pre outs died and i need to start breaking everything down to move in a couple monthsHeadphones:Source: tidalDAC: schiit modius epre: schiit sysAmp: AQ dragonfly black/ schiit magni2 Cans: Velodyne V-True, Grado SR225i, sennheiser x drop gaming headsetPC:DAC: schiit modius e(over spdif)pre: schiit sysspeakers: prenous eris 5 xtSub: Earthquake Sound MiniMe-P63most of my comments are passing on of info, im a noob, im just trying to help how i can, if im wrong or out of place to comment, dont hesitate to let me know :)"WITH WILLING HEARTS AND SKILLFUL HANDS, THE DIFFICULT WE DO AT ONCE, THE IMPOSSIBLE TAKES A BIT LONGER, WITH COMPASSION FOR OTHERS. WE BUILD - WE FIGHT FOR PEACE WITH FREEDOM"Seabee Memorial, Arlington, VA
  • What software (freeware) do you use to encode music CD, and which lossless format do you recommend?
    No surround...yet
  • MrBuhl
    MrBuhl Posts: 2,419
    Used Sennheiser 598HD's are well within in your sub $150 range, I've heard em and I think they're pretty great. At $150 max you can really steal some great ($300+ retail new) cans if you don't mind used and are patient IMO.
    VA HT HK AVR20II, Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD, Polk Audio RC80i / Polk Audio CSi3, 60" Panasonic Plasma, Nordost / Signal Cable A2 / Wireworld / Pangea / Magic Power
    VA 2 Channel Focal Electra 926 speakers, Pass Labs X150.5 Amp, Eastern Electric MiniMax Preamp (Tutay mods), Eastern Electric Minimax CDP (Scott Nixon mods), Music Hall mmf 5.1 Turntable, Parks Audio Budgie Phono Pre , Audioengine B1 streamer, MIT S3 IC's / MIT Shotgun S3 Speaker Cables / PS Audio power cables
    Noggin Schiit Valhalla, Pangea, Phillips Fidelio X1, Polk UF8000

Polk SDA1c modded
    Polk CRS+ 4.1TL modded (need veneer)
    Polk SDA2BTL (fully modded)
    A/L 1000VA Dreadnought Canare 4s11 SDA cable
    SACD Marantz DV8300
    Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD
    Yamaha YP-D6
    Soundcraftsmen PCR800
    Audible Illusions L1 Preamp
    Vincent MFA based Cocci Tube Preamp
    Pho-700 Phono Pre
    Signal Cable Silver Resolution IC's

• eeagle
    eeagle Posts: 226
    Just stepped into a set of planar HiFiMan HE400i HPs and find I am reaching for them before my Sennheiser or beyerdynamic HPs. Planars are addicting, the he400i has been on sale a couple of times recently for $299.
    SDA SRS 1.2
    Adcom GFA-5802
    Adcom GFP-750
    Sony DVP-NS999ES
  • eeagle
    eeagle Posts: 226
    French_guy wrote: »
    What software (freeware) do you use to encode music CD, and which lossless format do you recommend?

EAC & Flac....that said dBpoweramp is a lot easier to use.
    SDA SRS 1.2
    Adcom GFA-5802
    Adcom GFP-750
    Sony DVP-NS999ES
  • nspindel
    nspindel Posts: 5,343
    Sorry, but I've been through many rounds of headphone rotation and here is the best advice I can give you. Figure this one out on your own. Everyone's ears are different and everyone prefers their own thing. Headphones are even more extreme than loudspeakers where what sounds great to one person sounds like junk to the next person. And nothing is more picky about synergy than the combination of headphones and headphone amplifiers. It's always unbelievable to me how you can mix and match great quality headphone gear between amps and headphones and end up with some really awful sound. Then you swap around amps and headphones and everything sounds like the greatest thing you've ever heard. It's all about the synergy and understanding your own likes and dislikes. Go join Head-Fi, get your read on over there, and get yourself to a meet or two where you can demo all sorts of gear. Buying a headphone amp like a Fio before you've decided on a pair of headphones is a completely backwards way of approaching the choices you need to make. First find a pair of headphones that you really enjoy the sound of, then find an amplifier that makes them shine.
    Good music, a good source, and good power can make SDA's sing. Tubes make them dance.
  • nspindel
    nspindel Posts: 5,343
    edited January 2016
    Biggest problem is to find a place where I could try them before buying.....!!!!

You can, you need to go to a headfi meet. Say hi to people, shake hands, and ask if you can listen to their gear. You'll have a good time getting some research done, plus you'll get to listen to some of the most ridiculous gear that you've ever heard and will never be able to afford lol!
    Good music, a good source, and good power can make SDA's sing. Tubes make them dance.
  • Dabutcher
    Dabutcher Posts: 2,588
    Open back designs will probly not work for plane travel . Others can hear what you are listening to. As I stated in another thread. Sennheiser HD558 today @ Newegg $79.99. Great deal. Same drivers as HD598 and a simple mod on YouTube has you take them apart and remove a piece of tape to give them the HD598 sound for half the price. If you are not using them on a plane . Great start. Good luck. D
    MIT Magnum MH-750, Monster HTS 5100MKII, Sony 77" Class - A80CJ Series - 4K UHD OLED,PS4, Def Tech 15” sub,LSIM 706c, Sunfire Signature Grand 425 x 4,Parasound hca 120, LSiM 702 x 4, Oppo 103D, SDA SRS 1.2, Pioneer Elite SC63 , Pioneer Elite BDP-05 “Why did you get married if you wanted big speakers?”
  • nspindel wrote: »
    Biggest problem is to find a place where I could try them before buying.....!!!!

You can, you need to go to a headfi meet. Say hi to people, shake hands, and ask if you can listen to their gear. You'll have a good time getting some research done, plus you'll get to listen to some of the most ridiculous gear that you've ever heard and will never be able to afford lol!

I just checked and there is a meet in Ann Arbor - MI end of March.....I just signed in
    Now, I will have to be patient and not buy anything before that date !!!
    No surround...yet
  • scubalab
    scubalab Posts: 3,101
    If you don't mind buying used (from a trusted polkie) give @rooftop59 a shout in his thread here. He's got the ATs you were considering for less than half price.

http://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/170267/headphone-sale-grado-sr225i-others#latest
  • ALL212
    ALL212 Posts: 1,553
    These are "nice"...

http://en-de.sennheiser.com/orpheus

You did say $50k?
    Aaron
    Enabler Extraordinaire
  • cnh
    cnh Posts: 13,284
    ALL212 wrote: »
    These are "nice"...

http://en-de.sennheiser.com/orpheus

You did say $50k?

Aren't those in the car I can't afford category? lol
    Currently orbiting Bowie's Blackstar.!

Polk Lsi-7s, Def Tech 8" sub, HK 3490, HK HD 990 (CDP/DAC), AKG Q701s
    [sig. changed on a monthly basis as I rotate in and out of my stash]
  • voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    and here I didnt think anything could be out Woo Headphone monoblock amplifier
    152u6oey6ofc.jpg
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • MrBuhl
    MrBuhl Posts: 2,419
    edited January 2016
    ^^ Headphone p o r n! ^^
    VA HT HK AVR20II, Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD, Polk Audio RC80i / Polk Audio CSi3, 60" Panasonic Plasma, Nordost / Signal Cable A2 / Wireworld / Pangea / Magic Power
    VA 2 Channel Focal Electra 926 speakers, Pass Labs X150.5 Amp, Eastern Electric MiniMax Preamp (Tutay mods), Eastern Electric Minimax CDP (Scott Nixon mods), Music Hall mmf 5.1 Turntable, Parks Audio Budgie Phono Pre , Audioengine B1 streamer, MIT S3 IC's / MIT Shotgun S3 Speaker Cables / PS Audio power cables
    Noggin Schiit Valhalla, Pangea, Phillips Fidelio X1, Polk UF8000

Polk SDA1c modded
    Polk CRS+ 4.1TL modded (need veneer)
    Polk SDA2BTL (fully modded)
    A/L 1000VA Dreadnought Canare 4s11 SDA cable
    SACD Marantz DV8300
    Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD
    Yamaha YP-D6
    Soundcraftsmen PCR800
    Audible Illusions L1 Preamp
    Vincent MFA based Cocci Tube Preamp
    Pho-700 Phono Pre