SDA Wooden End Caps or Re-Veneer Suggestions

Hoping some of you can post some pictures and share ideas of making new SDA wooden end caps. I will start with my SDA-1C that now live with another:

uld3ngq5h6ow.jpg

Comments

• dhart86
    dhart86 Posts: 1,594
    Whew....I would like to have nice lacquered end caps like that on my SDA 1C's. How did you do that? That would be worth the coin.
    Main Rig:
    Antipodes DX > Roon > PS Audio Directstream Jr.>deHavilland Ultraverve 3 >Belles Reference 150a >Harbeth C7 ES3

Second Rig:
    Roon> PS Audio Directstream Jr Bridge II > EE Minimax pre (Tutay mods) >Belles 150A Ref >Monitor 5 (Westmassguy-modded)

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    Those are sweet^^^^^ can't tell what wood on the old phone here looks maple ish
  • These look pretty crazy!!!

38y8382fnsze.jpg

W O W

Okay??
  • Malbec
    Malbec Posts: 548
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    Those are sweet^^^^^ can't tell what wood on the old phone here looks maple ish

Mappa Burl

http://www.veneersupplies.com/categories/Raw__Wood__Veneer/Wood__Veneer__H__-__M/Mappa__(Burl)/

• Conradicles
    Conradicles Posts: 6,010
    dhart86 wrote: »
    How did you do that? That would be worth the coin.

A guy here on the forum did that for me. Here is a link:

http://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/77349/paint-job-for-club-polk-members/p1
  • Conradicles
    I really like this walnut burl and may use this:

qqrz5kfrsj86.png
  • Mr_Hz
    Mr_Hz Posts: 176
    edited January 2016
    Conradicles... you're inspiring me. I have 3 speaker projects going on at various stages of (in)completion. I was going to just go with the 'as is cosmetics' but the SDA1C's and 2.3TLs could use some love as they have some aesthetic challenges, and my CRS+s, no nicks or blemishes, could use a boost in the looks department. I followed that link to the veneer website, and now my mind is racing with the possibilities! Just need my wallet to catch up. lol!
    2.3TL's - Living Room
    CRS+'s (4.1 TL's) - Office
    SDA1C's - Famdamly Rm
    SDA1C's - Master Bedroom
  • 6jpczetr70h4.jpg
    I always loved readings nik's DIY posts. Probably should have picked up his red tube amp when he let it go. Not letting go of his maple LSi9s any time soon after doing XO mods. I think I am about the 3rd caretaker since he let them go and the gloss still rocks. I actually work in a paint shop now and have toyed with the idea of painting my yammy amp and pre covers silver.

But back on topic...there was a member in PA that made a run of solid wood end caps. I got some for my 2.3 but never got them installed. They are nice looking. I will see if I can find them for pix.
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    Hoping some of you can post some pictures and share ideas of making new SDA wooden end caps. I will start with my SDA-1C that now live with another:

uld3ngq5h6ow.jpg

They're mine....All mine now Eric!! And still pristine to this day. Nik is the shnit on end cap refurb
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    I really, really like those black glossy caps. What was the damage on those beauties? Did you send your original caps to him or were they made from scratch?
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • leftwinger57
    leftwinger57 Posts: 2,917
    dmlhiwr2x34x.jpg
    252yzn3adejh.jpg
    I went from very deep water stains then the bleaching of the tops and cleaning them off .Next was to stain them w/ Medium walnut and then about 4/5 coats of clear poly Minwax. The poly was soaked up like a sponge and needed that many. To say I'd rather have the veneered side panels and tops would be an understatement. Those look amazing and though not a big fan of piano black those tops came out beautifully and would take those any day of the week.
    2chl- Adcom GFA- 555-Onkyo P-3150v pre/amp- JVC-QL-A200 tt- Denon 1940 ci cdp- Adcom GFS-6 -Modded '87 SDA 2Bs - Dynamat Ext.- BH-5- X-Overs VR-3, RDO-194 tweeters, Larry's Rings, Speakon/Neutrik I/C- Cherry stain tops Advent Maestros,Ohm model E

H/T- Toshiba au40" flat- Yamaha RX- V665 avr- YSD-11 Dock- I-Pod- Klipsch #400HD Speaker set-

Bdrm- Nikko 6065 receiver- JBL -G-200s--Pioneer 305 headphones--Sony CE375-5 disc
  • Conradicles
    I sent the originals, but in hind site I would have had used new mdf. They are amazing looking speakers. Lightman1 won't part with them either!
  • oldrocker
    oldrocker Posts: 2,590
    dmlhiwr2x34x.jpg
    252yzn3adejh.jpg
    I went from very deep water stains then the bleaching of the tops and cleaning them off .Next was to stain them w/ Medium walnut and then about 4/5 coats of clear poly Minwax. The poly was soaked up like a sponge and needed that many. To say I'd rather have the veneered side panels and tops would be an understatement. Those look amazing and though not a big fan of piano black those tops came out beautifully and would take those any day of the week.

I'm probably reading your comment wrong so a quick question as mine look like yours except it appears to be more sun bleaching than water stains on mine.
    Did you just wipe them down with bleach, then clean before staining and clear poly?

Thanks
    David
  • oldrocker
    oldrocker Posts: 2,590
    Here's my SDA 2's compared to My SDA SRS.
    The tops of the SDA 2's are much lighter than the side edges which drives me crazy.
    The big ones are good enough for now. Also, the scratches on the top of the 2's need some attention and I'm not to sure on what's the best sanding procedure.

Oh, if I highudjpcdjkvh84.jpg
    cti7v0gw8fpl.jpg
    8ft66sr4iaic.jpg
    n26uyqh00gfw.jpg
    jacked a topic, let me know and I'll re-post in another thread.

Thanks
    David
  • Conradicles
    cincycat13 wrote: »
    I actually work in a paint shop now and have toyed with the idea of painting my yammy amp and pre covers silver.

He did this amp for me and I think it made it sound better B)

7mdohhw5osb8.jpg

xeyddblzmeti.jpg

• lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    What the hell are you doing withy amp??!!
  • Mike Reeter
    Mike Reeter Posts: 4,314
    Here's a couple of caps I made for my 2.3TL's

IMG_41071024x683_zpse871758d.jpg

IMG_41081024x683_zps9382db59.jpg

Some Quarter Sawn Oak, nothing fancy but in much better shape than the originals they replaced.

I love the look of the Piano Black Finish, but I don't have patience to keep them clean!
  • Conradicles
    Very nice Mike!
  • Mikey081057
    Mikey081057 Posts: 7,127
    Re did mine with a walnut veneer and a satin lacquer

4o787qf1krpd.jpg
    My New Year's resolution is 3840 × 2160

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Patio | Polk Atrium 8's | Yamaha R-N303BL |

Office BlueSound Node| KEF LS50 | Peactree Nova 125SE |

Bedroom | Focal 905's | Chromecast Audio |

Garage | Polk Monitor 5B's

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
  • Conradicles
    Very nice Mike. I stalked your speakers several times in your other threads. They are as good as it gets for vintage SDA's!!!
  • Mike Reeter
    Well, Thank you, that means a lot. I just enjoy the SDA sound, I was hooked from the very first time I experienced it. Finding SDA's in my part of the country is challenging, you have to grab what's available, no matter what condition they are in.

I also find a lot of enjoyment in taking something that is a little over the hill and bringing it back to it's former glory, now if I could just do that trick on myself ;)
  • Mikey081057
    Jeez Louise is everyone named mike round here... gonna have to change my name to Walt DuFlock

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
  • Mike Reeter
    Jeez Louise is everyone named mike round here... gonna have to change my name to Walt DuFlock

LOL, sorry about that Mike, I'm easily confused. Didn't mean to take any credit for your work.

• Conradicles
    Mikey081057 and Mike Reeter both of your work is top notch. Good job.
  • Mikey081057
    I do like like the black laq and the burl....The brass screws are like gold teeth...

• nikolas812
    nikolas812 Posts: 2,915
    cincycat13 wrote: »
    I actually work in a paint shop now and have toyed with the idea of painting my yammy amp and pre covers silver.

He did this amp for me and I think it made it sound better B)

7mdohhw5osb8.jpg

xeyddblzmeti.jpg

They look great!!

I don't think I ever seen them installed! Looks awesome.

And Glad to hear everything is still in good shape and holding up well. It should last forever since they are indoors and I use Automotive Paint products. A good quality Car cleaner wax should make them pop again they don't look quite as good as they used too.

Makes feel all warm and fuzzy seeing some of the stuff I've done you for you guys. I don't frequent the forums as much as I used too. New hobby (Drag Racing) takes up most of my time and money now.

I can still offer this service for anyone that is interested. I can spray them just about any color that you would want..

Nik
  • nikolas812
    nikolas812 Posts: 2,915
    edited January 2016
    I sent the originals, but in hind site I would have had used new mdf. They are amazing looking speakers. Lightman1 won't part with them either!

This Also would have been cheaper in the long run considering the condition his end caps were in.

So if anybody is interested in having me paint something for them. Keep this in mind. There is a lot more labor involved if they need repairs..

But I don't do wood work. They need to be sent to me already cut and pre fitted before I can paint them. I can do paint and body work! But i'm not a wood worker!

Nik
  • Conradicles
    Nik...I just picked up a pair of SDA SRS 2 from a forum member. I "might" get you to paint me new caps for these. I am still in the "deciding what to do" phase. Peace.