Laserdisc-The godfather of ALL consumer optical disc media

Comments

• Gatecrasher
    Gatecrasher Posts: 1,550
    My Pioneer LD player/CD changer crapped-out several years ago and I never did get it repaired. I still have it in the original factory box along with about 75 LDs all in mint condition. Most of them have only been played once. I'm looking to get rid of all of it. How much are Laser Discs worth nowadays? Do people still want them? I have both feature films plus music. Nice selection too.

I was thinking of putting them on eBay or Craigslist.
  • Lddb.com to get an idea of what's worth selling
  • StantonZ
    StantonZ Posts: 439
    StantonZ wrote: »
    Still have (and use) my Elite 99. Makes a great CD transport. I even added an out-board AC3 decoder for it when I upgraded AVRs recently (no longer "built in"). We still watch Die Hard on Christmas Even and Titanic on New Year's Eve...on LaserDisc.

Hey which AC-3 RF demodulator do you have?

B&K DT-1. Bought it off eBay in "like new" condition. Works like a charm...
    Yamaha RX-A2050 AVR (5.0.2); LG OLED77C2 4K TV
    (4) Polk Monitor 10B's w/SoniCaps, Mills, and RDO-194 tweets (R/L F/R)
    (2) Polk RC80i (Top Middle)
    Polk CS300 center channel
    Analog: B&O TX2 Turntable, Nakamichi Cassette Deck 1
    Digital: Pioneer CLD-99 Elite LD, Panasonic DMP-UB900 UHD Blu-Ray
    Bedroom: Arylic Up2Stream AMPv3 driving Polk Monitor 4's w/peerless tweets
  • StantonZ
    StantonZ Posts: 439
    How much are Laser Discs worth nowadays? Do people still want them? I have both feature films plus music. Nice selection too.
    I was thinking of putting them on eBay or Craigslist.

Unfortunately, LD's probably have more sentimental value than real value (which is why I still have all the Alien titles). In fact, if it isn't AC3/DTS or an SE (like Criterion), it isn't even worth listing on eBay. I would list the (premium) titles and see if you get any bites.

Yamaha RX-A2050 AVR (5.0.2); LG OLED77C2 4K TV
    (4) Polk Monitor 10B's w/SoniCaps, Mills, and RDO-194 tweets (R/L F/R)
    (2) Polk RC80i (Top Middle)
    Polk CS300 center channel
    Analog: B&O TX2 Turntable, Nakamichi Cassette Deck 1
    Digital: Pioneer CLD-99 Elite LD, Panasonic DMP-UB900 UHD Blu-Ray
    Bedroom: Arylic Up2Stream AMPv3 driving Polk Monitor 4's w/peerless tweets
  • Again got to lddb.com (laserdisc database) and see what some of them are going for.You might be surprised.
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
    daddyjt wrote: »
    I have 2 players and about 50+ titles

Did you ever hook up the S1, Dan?

@daddjt

I did, and it was working last time I used it (been a bit). Its long term quarters will be in my loft, which is going to be converted slowly to a kids living room with a TV. I plan to house my old school gaming stuff (Sega Genesis, SNES, N64, Xbox) there since most are stereo sound only and the LD player there as well.

I have ANOTHER player (Panasonic something or other) I got from @nooshinjohn thats going to live back in my rack downstairs soon so I can play LD's in either location.

As in LD-S1?!?!?!

WOW!!

Yeah, its a SOLID piece of equipment. It weights more than my Carver AV-705x did, as well as both my receivers lol...
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • The ONLY player more solid than that (*Not to mention BIGGER*) was the LD-S2
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
    The ONLY player more solid than that (*Not to mention BIGGER*) was the LD-S2

Yeah, this one BARELY will fit in my equipment rack.

I popped the top for giggles and said F* This. If it ever goes bad, it becomes a museum piece as trying to find ANYTHING in that chassis aint happening lol...
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • Yeah those transports were S O L I D.They HAD TO BE because they were spinning some big,heavy discs.That's why they were so good with CD's.
  • That one is up for auction on eBay right not.Non functioning though and lot's of scratches.
  • Christmas Laserdisc viewing suggestions
    Arnold Schwarzenegger-Jingle all the way
    Tim Burton-The nightmare before christmas.DTS version
    Bruce Willis-Die Hard or Die Hard 2 Die Harder remastered Dolby AC-3 or DTS versions
    Star Wars Episode I (*YES it's available on Laserdisc and is one of only 9 titles released on Laser in Dolby Digital EX 6.1*)
  • ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,638
    Christmas Laserdisc viewing suggestions
    Arnold Schwarzenegger-Jingle all the way
    Tim Burton-The nightmare before christmas.DTS version
    Bruce Willis-Die Hard or Die Hard 2 Die Harder remastered Dolby AC-3 or DTS versions
    Star Wars Episode I (*YES it's available on Laserdisc and is one of only 9 titles released on Laser in Dolby Digital EX 6.1*)

Helpful tips for the 2 of you that still have LD players, lol...
  • Home Alone 1 and 2
  • three of us. :)
    Just hooked up the Pioneer CLD-s104 again. First up;
    uj0uscz0gdhu.jpg
  • you know, this PF 'Pulse' sounds fine to me.
    Glad I took the time to rummage around and
    hook this up. First time on the revamped system.
    :)
  • you know, this PF 'Pulse' sounds fine to me.

PF'Pulse'?
    What's that?
  • Pink Floyd laserdisc
    you know, this PF 'Pulse' sounds fine to me.

PF'Pulse'?
    What's that?

• Ah I didn't know that was available on Laserdisc. Ever watched The Wall on Laser?
    That and Heavy Metal ARE NOT movies you wanna watch alone.
  • xjghost
    xjghost Posts: 1,080
    I've got Heavy Metal on LD I believe. I have not used my LD in a while but hope to use it again after my new Yamaha shows up today. I love LD and would love to track down the music video disc of some of my favorite bands. Right now I have Dire Straits, The Police, and Duran Duran If I remember correctly. I saw they made a Cars one with all their music video's but it's pricey. I'd eventually like to start collecting them again. Getting harder to find these days.
    HT/2Channel: Emotiva MMC-1, Adcom GFA-555II, Polk SDA 3.1's, Teac TN-300 TT, Polk Center and Sub.

Bedroom system: Carver CT-24, Parasound HCA-800II, Monitor 10's

Additional projects: RTA 12c's
  • xjghost wrote: »
    I've got Heavy Metal on LD I believe. I have not used my LD in a while but hope to use it again after my new Yamaha shows up today. I love LD and would love to track down the music video disc of some of my favorite bands. Right now I have Dire Straits, The Police, and Duran Duran If I remember correctly. I saw they made a Cars one with all their music video's but it's pricey. I'd eventually like to start collecting them again. Getting harder to find these days.

@xjghost Look on lddb.com
    Or eBay
    They're not as hard to find as you might think.
  • Well I must of at one time and I agree!
    Ah I didn't know that was available on Laserdisc. Ever watched The Wall on Laser?
    That and Heavy Metal ARE NOT movies you wanna watch alone.

• Gatecrasher
    Gatecrasher Posts: 1,550
    Some of the music LDs I have are:
    • Pink Floyd - The Wall (Extended Play)
    • Eric Clapton - Unplugged
    • Neil Young - Unplugged
    • Rolling Stones - Rock and Roll Circus
    • Rolling Stones - 25x5 (2 Disc)
    • Rolling Stones - Gimme Shelter (Uncut Edition)
    • Led Zeppelin - The Song Remains The Same (In Concert and Beyond)
    • The Beatles - The Compleat Beatles (Extended Play)
    • The Beatles - Magical Mystery Tour
    • The Beatles - Help!
    • The Beatles - A Hard Day's Night
    • Stevie Ray Vaughn - Live At The El Mocambo
    • Stevie Ray Vaughn - Live From Austin TX
    • Woodstock - The Director's Cut (3 Disc)

• I have Yellow Submarine I think on Laserdisc. Gotta look again. Anyone have any 8" music video discs?
  • scottyboy76
    scottyboy76 Posts: 2,905
    edited January 2016
    I recently bought pios cld99, and their dv09 for 50 bucks total.

She also threw in 81 discs, many were still in plastic, she did this for me as favor for helping to sell late husbands infinity RSIIs, and RSIIIbs to endershadows, as well as adcoms finest amp, a nelson pass model, amongst many other nice pieces of fine gear, thankfully I was able to share great deals here on cp.

Many great titles were included such as 2001, but my fave is the "Godfather Trilogy" including a disc with outtakes and conversations with stars, coppola, writers and others.

Very interesting, and to be honest, although not as capable with cds as my consonance, they do a damn respectable job with music.

lots of fun.

Really wish I had been in a spot to pick up the rsIIs for 200 nd thw RSIIIbs for a hundred but glad they went to polkies.

Besides, I have my SDAs, and I doubt they would have displaced those 1cs.

https://us.v-cdn.net/5021930/uploads/attachments/1/0/5/9/1/9/92969.jpg

polished rosewood side panels, elegantly low mechanisms, think im gonna hang onto the 2 players and 80plus discs for 50 bucks, sh&^ like this comes along few and far.
    Post edited by scottyboy76 on
    humpty dumpty was pushed
  • @scottyboy76
    Does the CLD99 have an AC-3 RF out?
  • xjghost
    xjghost Posts: 1,080
    Hooked mine up to the new Yamaha last night and watched the Dire Straits LD! So much awesomeness!
    HT/2Channel: Emotiva MMC-1, Adcom GFA-555II, Polk SDA 3.1's, Teac TN-300 TT, Polk Center and Sub.

Bedroom system: Carver CT-24, Parasound HCA-800II, Monitor 10's

Additional projects: RTA 12c's
  • Easy to forget how much FUN this hoby is SUPPOSED to be isn't it??
  • liking CDs on my player. Good stuff.