Sda Cables

trubluluc
trubluluc Posts: 2,067
edited September 2004 in Vintage Speakers
Is it true that these special interconnect cables are not available, for most models, through POLK?

-Luc
Post edited by trubluluc on

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,709
    edited September 2004
    True, the pin blade type is not. You can make one though.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• trubluluc
    edited September 2004
    F1nut-

Is there a diagram or layout that describes the process of building your own?

-Luc
  • F1nut
    edited September 2004
    Not that I'm aware of. It's easy to make though, start with a good quality speaker wire or 2 wire electric cord, then terminate the ends with one spade and one round pin, making sure they fit the hole and slot on the speakers. Add some shrink wrap and you're done. It's said that you don't really need one of the connections (I don't remember which one), but since there are wires connected to both on the inside, I'd do them both.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• rskarvan
    rskarvan Posts: 2,374
    edited September 2004
    Each speaker feeds the other part of its signal. Hence, two wires.

REGARDING:
    It's said that you don't really need one of the connections (I don't remember which one), but since there are wires connected to both on the inside, I'd do them both.
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited September 2004
    Here is what Ken had to say about it...

Hello Troy,
    The bade and the pin are both connected to the same wire in the original SDA pin/blade cable. This was done to prevent owners from damaging their non-common ground amplifiers. All that would happen would be that there wouldn't be any SDA corrective signal present, but the amplifier wouldn't be shorted out. If the amplifier was a common-ground design it would provide the necessary left/right grounding and the SDA would be heard. So, the pin does one of the connections and the amplifier provided the second. When building a pin/blade cable there's no need to connect the blade, since the amplifier will provide the connection. The only plans I have are for building a non-common ground SA-1A cable with isolation transformer.
    Regards, Ken, Polk

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • HBombToo
    HBombToo Posts: 5,256
    edited September 2004
    Originally posted by TroyD
    Here is what Ken had to say about it...

Hello Troy,

The only plans I have are for building a non-common ground SA-1A cable with isolation transformer.
    Regards, Ken, Polk

BDT

Thanks Troy.

Are there any diagrams anywhere with regard to the isolation tranformer configuration?

HBomb
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • trubluluc
    edited September 2004
  • F1nut
    edited September 2004
    What's the make and model? Almost all receivers are and most amps are except dual mono's, bridged amps and mono blocks, of course.

President of Club Polk

• trubluluc
    edited September 2004
    F1nut-

Yeah I have Yamaha receivers newish...so probably are.

-Luc
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited September 2004
    Originally posted by TroyD

The bade and the pin are both connected to the same wire in the original SDA pin/blade cable. This was done to prevent owners from damaging their non-common ground amplifiers.

Am I missing something here? If that were correct then the transformer in the isolation cable could not work. Did they not sell the isolation cable for the pin-blade versions? Actually, isn't the pin-blade version the only one that works with the isolation transformer??

madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • F1nut
    edited September 2004
    With the isolation transformer in use you have to use a two wire cable.

President of Club Polk

• HBombToo
    HBombToo Posts: 5,256
    edited September 2004
    Originally posted by trubluluc
    ?

-Luc

disconnect the power amp from the outlet, remove all connections and get your VOM. Across the speaker terminals place the leads to the VOM across the black and red speaker teminals and it will show 0 Ohms if it is a common ground amp.

My outlaw is not common ground unfortunatly.

HBomb
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • trubluluc
    edited September 2004