Questions on some inherited SDA-1Cs

Options
tlwizard
tlwizard Posts: 4
edited September 2004 in Vintage Speakers
Hi

As the subject says, I just got some SDAs from my dad and am now ready to set them up, but I've got a few questions first.

I don't have the manual so I've written polk about getting a digital one and hopefully that should work out well. I've never owned such nice and large speakers before and am looking for any warnings or advice before I set them up.

Currently, I'll be setting them up to a Denon AVR-2500. It's 85WPC for the front three. I know it's not the greatest receiver setup, but will this receiver work (with the hopes of one day having a better setup)?

I do have the interconnect cable for the two speakers, but I can't figure out the actual speaker wiring. The wires my dad had for the speakers have a rubber end with a gold-plated connector that's at about a 45 degree angle. I'm used to wrapping wire around a terminal, so I need help figuring this out.

I understand these questions are of an ignorant nature, but I appreciate the help. I loved these speakers when I was a kid, and it's a shame I have them now, but I can't wait to throw on my dad's old records and listen to them.

Thanks again.
Talton
Post edited by tlwizard on

Comments

• ohskigod
    ohskigod Posts: 6,501
    edited September 2004
    Options
    i'll assume these are pin connectors. take the red and black thumb screw on the speaker terminal. open them as far as they go (without coming all the way out, not that this is a big deal, just screw em on again) look at the thread exposed (where i assume you would wind your speaker wire, as you said you were used to) see if there are little holes there. if there is, that is where the 45 degree pins go in. then tighten thumbscrew over it. as usual, remember positive to positive, negative to negative.

also, the denon will suffice for now, but with those speakers, you will definitly want to look into upgrading the amplification (seperate amplifier if your denon has pre outputs). youll notice a big difference.

with the denon alone, do not crank it to ridiculous volumes. with less power, you increase the chance of distortion, hence you'll blow drivers or tweeters (this would be bad!) just make sure the sound is clean and youll be allright for now
    Living Room 2 Channel -
    Schiit SYS Passive Pre. Jolida CD player. Songbird streamer. California Audio Labs Sigma II DAC, DIY 300as1/a1 Ice modules Class D amp. LSi15 with MM842 woofer upgrade, Nordost Blue Heaven and Unity interconnects.

Upstairs 2 Channel Rig -
    Prometheus Ref. TVC passive pre, SAE A-205 Amp, Wiim pro streamer and Topping E50 DAC, California Audio Labs DX1 CD player, Von Schweikert VR3.5 speakers.

Studio Rig - Scarlett 18i20(Gen3) DAW, Mac Mini, Aiyma A07 Max (BridgedX2), Totem Mites
  • tlwizard
    edited September 2004
    Options
    thanks ohskigod for the reply.

i unscrewed the screws on the terminal and found the holes of which you wrote. i guess my only question is, the pins on the speaker wire are so much smaller than the holes in the terminals. i doesn't seem like it would be a secure connection even with the screws tightened. is that just the way it goes?

i also only have one of the original speaker wires, so i'll have to go get at least one new one to use. should i replace both, or get one to match the one I have?

the denon does have pre-out jacks for another amplifier. is there a decent inexpensive model one would recommend for this setup, or would i be better off saving my money for down the road when i get a really nice home audio setup?

thanks again.
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited September 2004
    Options
    It becomes secure when you tighten the red and black plastic knobs.
    madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,794
    edited September 2004
    Options
    TL,

Welcome to the forum.

Buy a matched pair of speaker cables, call Polk Customer Service and ask for a manual to be mailed, they will not send them via email, etc.

In a shameless bump, I've got a nice Rotel amp for sale......here,

http://clubpolk.polkaudio.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=21850

F1
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• ohskigod
    edited September 2004
    Options
    shameless bump it might be, but that amp would definitly get the job done!

im a big fan of Rotel, never lets me down. the rsp-960 i got from Russman drives my SDA-2B's just fine (60x2 into 8 ohms, i have no idea how many into the 4 ohms of the SDA-2B)

would have been nice if you put this amp up for sale before my wife roped me into paying for a cruise in November (damn timing, just my friggin luck!). I'm still broke:D
    Living Room 2 Channel -
    Schiit SYS Passive Pre. Jolida CD player. Songbird streamer. California Audio Labs Sigma II DAC, DIY 300as1/a1 Ice modules Class D amp. LSi15 with MM842 woofer upgrade, Nordost Blue Heaven and Unity interconnects.

Upstairs 2 Channel Rig -
    Prometheus Ref. TVC passive pre, SAE A-205 Amp, Wiim pro streamer and Topping E50 DAC, California Audio Labs DX1 CD player, Von Schweikert VR3.5 speakers.

Studio Rig - Scarlett 18i20(Gen3) DAW, Mac Mini, Aiyma A07 Max (BridgedX2), Totem Mites
  • ohskigod
    edited September 2004
    Options
    P.S. of course, Madmax is right, just tighten them up and your good to go.
    Living Room 2 Channel -

Upstairs 2 Channel Rig -

• Frank Z
    Frank Z Posts: 5,860
    edited September 2004
    Options
    The holes are larger than the pins because they will accept large gauge bare wire and not just pins.
    9/11 - WE WILL NEVER FORGET!! (<---<<click)
    2005-06 Club Polk Football Pool Champion!! :D
  • tlwizard
    edited September 2004
    Options
    thank you all so much.
  • nadams
    nadams Posts: 5,877
    edited September 2004
    Options
    We accept small gifts and monetary donations :D

Hell, we might even accept big ones!
    Ludicrous gibs!
  • F1nut
    edited September 2004
    Options
    Just buy my damn amp and we'll call it even. :D

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• tlwizard
    edited September 2004
    Options
    Originally posted by F1nut
    Just buy my damn amp and we'll call it even. :D
    sent you a pm.
  • F1nut
    edited September 2004
    Options
    PM answered.

President of Club Polk