Options
Masob98
Masob98 Posts: 4
I recently been having problems with my psw110. Here is my setup:
Sony strdh520
Polk monitor 30 bookshelf speakers for fronts
Polk csr for center
Polk psw110 sub

I have a noticed a static type sound coming from the subwoofer. It's not constant, I only hear it during a low end bass sound is playing. I tested the speaker and it doesn't seem to be the problem. If it's the amp I have no idea where to start with that. Any help would be appreciated.
Post edited by Masob98 on

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,658
    edited March 2014
    Options
    Hello,
    Welcome to Polk's forum. When you indicate you've "tested the speaker" can you elaborate what troubleshooting you've done so far?
    Regards, Ken
  • Masob98
    edited March 2014
    Options
    I plugged a DVD player directly to the subwoofer and I didn't hear anything odd. Then I switched the woofer with another woofer I had and the static noise was present with that woofer too.
  • Masob98
    edited March 2014
    Options
    I switched the woofer out with another woofer I had and the static noise was still present
  • [Deleted User]
    edited March 2014
    Options
    Hello,
    Ah, thanks for the explanation. I believe the problem is with the Sony receiver's sub-out connection. You can operate the Polk sub from the right and left speaker outputs instead of the sub-out connection. Just run another right and left speaker wire from the receiver's front speaker connections to the corresponding right and left speaker level inputs. Go into the receiver's setup instructions and turn the sub function off and set the front speakers to "large" or "full range".
    Regards, Ken
  • Masob98
    edited March 2014
    Options
    I apologize. I tried plugging the DVD player directly to the subwoofer and it was making the static noise again. Where do I go from here
  • [Deleted User]
    edited March 2014
    Options
    Hello,
    First thing on Monday give polk's CS guys a call at 1-800-377-7655 and have the unit's serial number and date and place of purchase handy when you call.
    Regards, Ken
  • MRkplew
    Options
    I have had the same problem. I tested mine on another reciever, still making the same static sound. During movies, I still get great lows, but during quieter scenes the static is pronounced. I bought it 2 years ago at Best Buy, not sure if there is anything that can be done.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Hello,
    The subwoofer comes with a three year warranty on the bass amplifier and five years on the woofer itself. Call Polk's CS department at the number above.
    Regards, Ken
  • Mon40CSMM10
    Mon40CSMM10 Posts: 161
    Options
    One thing I notice in this discussion is there does not seem to be a mention of the dial pointer position?
  • pitchleague
    Options
    So, I've noticed the same thing and it's getting worse. I bought the sub at least 2 years ago but not more than three. However, I don't have any receipt or anything anymore to prove it. I'll have to try the speaker cable thing as mentioned above but I'm not optimistic.

Anything else that I can do?
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Hello,
    It is still a good idea to contact Polk's CS department and explain the situation. The number is 1-800-377-7655.
    Regards, Ken
  • pitchleague
    Options
    Yup, I tried the speaker cable thing as mentioned above and I still have the sound issue. I'm guessing that the woofer is going bad.