Replacing a db6501 woofer

Belo
Belo Posts: 5
edited May 2014 in Car Audio & Electronics
Hey guys,

I had a woofer on my 6501's go out. Only about 2.5 years old and out of warranty. I don't have the privileges to post in the "want to buy" section. Does anyone know where i can buy only the woofer? Polk customer service (2 weeks after I emailed them) wants $100 plus shipping and for that I can buy a whole new set.

thanks.

Comments

• I have the same problem. I wonder if its better to buy the whole set and have spares or give up on PA and go to a different brand?
  • Hello,
    Welcome to Polk's forum.
    Most of the time damage to any company's speakers are related to the way in which they are being used. A 6.5" car audio speaker should have a high pass filter connected to it to prevent low frequencies from overdriving it. Also, they need to be driven with adequate power to avoid harmful distortion during peak demands. The other thing to remember is to use sufficient numbers of midrange and tweeter components to suit the listener's playing demands. Using multiple drivers that are correctly powered and filtered can dramatically extend the speaker's lifetime.
    Regards, Ken
  • Belo
    Hello,
    Welcome to Polk's forum.
    Most of the time damage to any company's speakers are related to the way in which they are being used. A 6.5" car audio speaker should have a high pass filter connected to it to prevent low frequencies from overdriving it. Also, they need to be driven with adequate power to avoid harmful distortion during peak demands. The other thing to remember is to use sufficient numbers of midrange and tweeter components to suit the listener's playing demands. Using multiple drivers that are correctly powered and filtered can dramatically extend the speaker's lifetime.
    Regards, Ken

I have your 6501's securely mounted and installed driven by a jl audio 320.4 which is more than enough, without being too much. The issue is your quality.
  • Are you using a high pass filter? If so, what is the crossover frequency and slope of the filter? In your previous driver what failed? The voice coil? Or part of the suspension or tinsel leads?
  • Belo
    The woofer and crossover failed. I use the recommended settings on the jl amp. My understanding was that the crossover regulated what went to the woofer and what went to the tweeter.
  • The crossover separates the frequencies between the driver (woofer) and the tweeter, but doesn't prevent low frequencies from reaching the driver. The crossover keeps bass frequencies from being played by the tweeter and it keeps high frequencies from reaching the driver. You can use a simple device called a "bass blocker" which is a capacitor placed in series with the positive wire going to the driver. A better approach is to use an active crossover, this is better because has more adjustment capability. You can change the frequency that is prevented from reaching the driver. On some you can change the slope of the frequency making the curve less or more steep. However this is going to involve adding another amplifier one just for the driver and tweeter.
    So, the signal would come from your head unit, go to the active crossover and to your current amp to power your subwoofer and the second amp powering your midrange driver and tweeter. If this pinches your budget go with the bass blocker first and see how that changes things.
    If this all makes sense send an email to Kim.Jasper@soundunited or call him at 1-800-377-7655 extension 5208 and explain that you've been working with us on Club Polk and tell him about the driver and crossover problems you've had. He'll work with you and has tremendous car audio experience, I know he can get things squared away.
    Cheers, Ken
  • cristo
    cristo Posts: 231
    Voice coil pinched by the magnet here.
    2nd time it's happened.
    Last time it cost about $80 with shipping if I recall correctly.
    Tried to call Polk cust. service but today it's always busy, and
    I sent an email in the mean time.
    I'm hoping a replacement isn't really $100 plus now!
    cristo

NAD C 545BEE cd player, Philips AF877 turntable / Shure V15V-MR with JICO SAS stylus,
    Tascam 122 mkIII cassette deck, Harman Kardon 3480 receiver, Terk FM-50 antenna in the attic,
    Soundcraftsmen SE550 stereo equalizer, Polk Monitor 10a speakers
    (with Sonicraft/Solen/Mills crossover rebuild)
  • cristo
    Finally got through.
    $90 + shipping + tax.
    I decided to get a whole new set for $140/free shipping/no tax.
    cristo

NAD C 545BEE cd player, Philips AF877 turntable / Shure V15V-MR with JICO SAS stylus,
    Tascam 122 mkIII cassette deck, Harman Kardon 3480 receiver, Terk FM-50 antenna in the attic,
  • Belo
    Cristo, I'm not one of those consumers who believes everything should last for life, especially electronics. I must say though that the customer service and ridiculous replacement cost has turned me off from polk. When I did my home theatre last spring I went with pioneer over polk. Not because polk was more expensive or had bad reviews, but because of my experience with my car audio. Sometime I believe companies don't realize how a bad experience can turn customers away from future purchases.

For example I have a Yamaha motorcycle that still runs like a Swiss watch. I bought a Yamaha receiver :)
  • cristo
    edited July 2016
    Update:
    Ordered the replacement set 24 hours ago via Amazon/Crutchfield for $139 complete.

Got an email from Crutchfield a few hours later to confirm what associated parts they
    should ship with it based on car model.

The package arrive today.
    Took about 10 minutes to swap the new driver in including taking the door panel off and on.

The magnet on the old one moves around without too much effort, thus the pinched
    voice coil and immobile cone.

I now have one more woofer if/when needed plus the other parts, although I doubt I'll ever
    need to replace a crossover or tweeter.
    cristo

• Belo
    how much do you want for your extra woofer and crossover?
  • cristo
    edited July 2016
    I definitely want to keep the extra woofer. From my experience I'll be needing
    another one within a few years. And by Murphy's law you always end up needing other parts
    as soon as you get rid of them...
    cristo

• btijet
    btijet Posts: 4
    cristo wrote: »
    I definitely want to keep the extra woofer. From my experience I'll be needing
    another one within a few years. And by Murphy's law you always end up needing other parts
    as soon as you get rid of them...

Would you sell the cross over? im in need of one :(
  • SamK
    SamK Posts: 13
    There are a couple of them on eBay. Check them out.