Former or current TSi300 owners...

felipe
felipe Posts: 423
Hi all. I know probably most of y'all on here have speakers that trump these by comparison, but I'm new to these particular speakers. Like the title says..former or current. If and/or when you had these, at what xover setting did you set these to on your reciever? I currently have my AVR set to 80hz, But when I used the Merlin database on the SVS site it reccommended a 100hz xover? I wonder why?? Thoughts?
My Setup: Denon AVR X3600h, Polk Signature S50 Fronts w/ S30 Center and S15 Rears, LG UBK90 4K Player, TCL 6-Series 65”4k TV

Comments

• cnh
    cnh Posts: 13,284
    Haven't the faintest why? TSI-300s should have NO problem at 80 Hz. Must be some loony SVS thing? I have a pair of 300s I've been planning to use as surrounds whenever I get the space to upgrade from 5.1 to 7.1 and the wife is not looking. lol
    Currently orbiting Bowie's Blackstar.!

Polk Lsi-7s, Def Tech 8" sub, HK 3490, HK HD 990 (CDP/DAC), AKG Q701s
    [sig. changed on a monthly basis as I rotate in and out of my stash]
  • felipe
    I figured 80hz wouldn't be a problem for these 300s. I contacted SVS, and they said it might have been an error. 300s as surrounds? You must have a good-sized room to use those as surrounds ;). My other half won't EVER approve that...Tsi100s maybe. lol ;).
    My Setup: Denon AVR X3600h, Polk Signature S50 Fronts w/ S30 Center and S15 Rears, LG UBK90 4K Player, TCL 6-Series 65”4k TV

• Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    You're powering three speakers from an 18 pound AVR. The lower you set the crossover the more likely you are going to clip. I'd set it as high as still sounds good, let the sub do the work.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • felipe
    I guess thats the good thing about these Polks...they're relatively efficient ( 90db and 91db). Don't need much power to get good volume ;). My 18 pound AVR won't be clipping anytime soon ;).

• felipe
    I can see why these particular Polks are liked/loved by many ;). They just get out of the way and play. A careful look at it's overall design...the MTM (D"Appolito) driver config, bottom firing port, and especially the grille design...it's like the frame has a shallow "waveguide" shape to it. I've never seen that before...very unique. Kudos to Polk :).

• felipe
    Just found an interesting article online about bi-wirable speakers with a listed 8 ohm nominal impedance, but having a DCR of 4 ohm due to the jumpers connecting the two sets of binding posts. Yet, with the jumpers removed, each set of binding posts had a DCR of 7.3 or 8 ohms. Why would this be?? Wouldn't the lower DCR be bad for the average AVR??

• felipe
    I just measured my Polks resistance with a multimeter in Ohm meter mode. My CS10 measured 4.1 Ohms! I thought this was an 8 Ohm speaker! The TSi300s bottom posts measured 4.0 Ohms, but the top posts had no measrument at all! Yet, when I hook up my speaker wire to the top posts the tweeter works. Huh?? What does all this mean?

• rpf65
    rpf65 Posts: 2,127
    It means that your speakers aren't a purely resistive load. The term is nominal impedance. As the frequency of whatever is playing, the impedance changes. Can/will the impedance go above 8 ohms? Yes.

• felipe
    I do understand that the impedance varies/changes with frequency while playing, thanks for the input rpf65 ;). How about when the speaker is not connected? That's when I did the measurement.