Official SVS owners thread!

Comments

• Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,862
    afterburnt wrote: »
    rooftop59 wrote: »
    Willow wrote: »
    Tonight I am having delivered an PB 10 NSD I found used locally. I am looking forward to joining the SVS family. I'm sure it will beat my Energy 10.2. I am contemplating using both not sure yet. I have a funny feeling I'll want to get a 12" in the coming years.

I have that svs in the living room and have a mirage in the bedroom that is very similar to your energy. In a smaller room with most music you wont notice much difference. However, in a larger room or with movies with deep LFE you will notice a HUGE difference.

As for using both, the best HT setup I've had used a sub to supplement the center channel and then a big bad LFE sub. So much bass comes through the center that it really made a big difference. You should try it if you have space.

I was going to try that center sub thing but had no room to do it. How did you hook up a sub to your center?

You need the speaker cable input in the sub. You can't use LFE directly.

• rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    Tonight I am having delivered an PB 10 NSD I found used locally. I am looking forward to joining the SVS family. I'm sure it will beat my Energy 10.2. I am contemplating using both not sure yet. I have a funny feeling I'll want to get a 12" in the coming years.

I have that svs in the living room and have a mirage in the bedroom that is very similar to your energy. In a smaller room with most music you wont notice much difference. However, in a larger room or with movies with deep LFE you will notice a HUGE difference.

As for using both, the best HT setup I've had used a sub to supplement the center channel and then a big bad LFE sub. So much bass comes through the center that it really made a big difference. You should try it if you have space.

I was going to try that center sub thing but had no room to do it. How did you hook up a sub to your center?

You need the speaker cable input in the sub. You can't use LFE directly.

or preouts, thats how I did it. I had a receiver with preouts, and an amp with inputs and outputs. I ran the cs400i full range, and used the subs built in crossover at about 70hz. It sounded pretty sweet...
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    I have the center preout going to an amp. So are you hooking the sub to the center preout and then the the center to the sub speaker outs? I have to look at my subs, I never used any of the extra stuff lol.
  • Willow
    Ok! I have not been able to truly test it out at real listening levels, tonight I popped in a bass test disk I downloaded form a link on CP many years ago while everyone is sleeping, I heard and felt bass that was never there with my Energy S10.2. I'm talking about a -45 on my rxA1010. Earlier today I was listening to an Enya cd and there is a track where someone is playing bongo drums and it sounded like the drums where in my room. I'm looking forward to a day when the family is not around so I can crank it. Not crazy but decent. This pb10 nsd is amazing so far I can only imagine what you guys are experiencing with the bigger ones.
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    I have the center preout going to an amp. So are you hooking the sub to the center preout and then the the center to the sub speaker outs? I have to look at my subs, I never used any of the extra stuff lol.

U can do it a couple different ways depending on ur amp and sub. 1. Run receiver per out to sub input, sub output to amp input. 2. Run amp loop output (if it has one) into your sub, or 3. Run teh speaker outputs from your amp into the sub line level inputs, and then line level outputs to speakers.
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • polrbehr
    polrbehr Posts: 2,825

This ^^^ caught my eye; what kind of sub did you use for your center, and how did you have it hooked up? And where did you have it positioned?
    I have an older 10" Advent powered sub on loan to a friend, I am intrigued by your idea though and may just ask if I can get it back to give this a shot :smile:

So, are you willing to put forth a little effort or are you happy sitting in your skeptical poo pile?

http://audiomilitia.proboards.com/
  • westmassguy
    westmassguy Posts: 6,850
    edited November 2015
    I just did the Center Sub on my system. It sounds amazing. I have two mid-fi 12" Sony subs flanking my 2As, and the PB-2+ at the rear of my room. the Sonys are connected to the Center pre-out, and the crossovers are set to 50 Hz. I re-calibrated the system, and was impressed with the amount of deep bass coming from those subs.
    If you have an extra powered sub or two, it's worth the experiment.
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • mikeyb128
    mikeyb128 Posts: 2,885
    I just did the Center Sub on my system. It sounds amazing. I have two mid-fi 12" Sony subs flanking my 2As, and the PB-2+ at the rear of my room. the Sonys are connected to the Center pre-out, and the crossovers are set to 50 Hz. I re-calibrated the system, and was impressed with the amount of deep bass coming from those subs.

I may try this. Although wondering what I might gain, I have 2 ultras in my room. But I think my sb1000 would be the perfect fit. Did you use a sub cable? And a y splitter off your pre out?
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• westmassguy
    mikeyb128 wrote: »

I may try this. Although wondering what I might gain, I have 2 ultras in my room. But I think my sb1000 would be the perfect fit. Did you use a sub cable? And a y splitter off your pre out?
    The Sonys have a line-level pass-through, so I wired the 1st off the Center pre-out, then daisy chained the 2nd. The SVS is off the LFE pre-out. All the cables were custom made.
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • gurot1
    gurot1 Posts: 519
    I need to stop visiting this forum...just had an sb2000 delivered today. Waiting for the munchkins to go to bed to open it up! This forum is bad for my wallet...good for the economy though.
    lsim705,lsim706c,lsif/x(4)+mc80(atmos)
    rti6,csi5,fxi5
  • ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,638
    gurot1 wrote: »
    I need to stop visiting this forum...just had an sb2000 delivered today. Waiting for the munchkins to go to bed to open it up! This forum is bad for my wallet...good for the economy though.

Congrats! Pic's or it didn't happen, you should know the rules, LOL...
  • gurot1
    Lol. Just for you Ken, this is what was waiting for me when I got home from work today. It arrived in less than 24 h from when I ordered it from the Canadian distributor. It helps I am only an hour and half away, but that was quick delivery. I did manage to get it to the basement...but not out of the box yet...waiting for kids to go to sleep.kduo6egogjtm.jpg
    rti6,csi5,fxi5
  • westmassguy
    Looks sweet. Enjoy
    Home Theater/2 Channel:

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • gurot1
    It will look even nicer outside of the box :p
    rti6,csi5,fxi5
  • gurot1
    apmf73c726d4.jpg
    rti6,csi5,fxi5
  • gurot1
    Here it is outside of the box
    rti6,csi5,fxi5
  • gurot1
    I was using a velodyne dps12. So far this sounds a lot tighter (the velodyne is ported and a step or two lower in terms of quality). I love the nice clean lines. Haven't had much time to play around with it yet...had it hooked up to a cd player and ran it for 12 hours at low level so far. I have to place it behind the sectional, so it is hidden from.view unfortunately, but better protrcted from 3 kids.
    rti6,csi5,fxi5
  • bms
    bms Posts: 182
    Hello,
    Currently running 2 SVS's for a few years now: 16-46 PC Plus, and a PB10-ISD along with my Polk RTI set up. Works great and shakes the house.

Always wanted an Ultra, and just got one used on AVS. Amp needs to be replaced, and, as usual, SVS is replacing at no charge. Their CS is indeed the best I've ever encountered anywhere.

I may sell one of the other 2 subs, after much testing deliberating with the wife, etc... will report back.
    bms
    Family Room:
    Onkyo TX-RZ920
    Outlaw 2200 monoblock amps x 3
    Sony UBP-X700
    Sony A80J 77” OLED
    Polk LSiM 705’s
    Polk LSiM 706
    Polk LSiM 703’s
    Polk RTi4's
    Dual SVS PB13-Ultra’s
    PC13-Ultra

Bonus Room:
    Onkyo TX-SR806
    PS3
    Panasonic TC-P42G10
    Polk RTi10's
    Polk CSi5
    Polk R50's
    SVS PB10-ISD

For sale:
    Onkyo TX-SR603X
  • Strong Bad
    Strong Bad Posts: 4,276
    Very nice Gurot! That should do some evil things to your home and your hearing.

I'm still sporting my SVS PC Ultra circa 2007. Yeah, almost 9 years and it shows no signs at all of slowing down. Still looks brand new. I run it hard on occasion and it continues to impress. As a matter of fact, tonight it'll be Mission Impossible: Rogue Nation on Blu Ray doing the damage in Dolby TrueHD 7.1.

Say a prayer for my home and hearing.
    No excuses!
  • Mikey081057
    Mikey081057 Posts: 7,127
    You are going to love the Ultra....
    My New Year's resolution is 3840 × 2160

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Patio | Polk Atrium 8's | Yamaha R-N303BL |

Office BlueSound Node| KEF LS50 | Peactree Nova 125SE |

Bedroom | Focal 905's | Chromecast Audio |

Garage | Polk Monitor 5B's

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
  • ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,638
    Love an Ultra 13 someday but my 25-31PC+ still puts a smile on my face...
  • mikeyb128
    You are going to love the Ultra....

The ultra is the once piece of gear I will hold onto for years. It's a lot of sub.
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• Willow
    I just checked out the Ultra 13. What a monster. My sub story: Polk sub, was ok at the time, didn't know any different plus we lived in a condo. Then moved on to an Energy s10.2, again good sub, better than the Polk one it did lack in the low end dept and did a decent job of blending in with the mains. On to my SVS PB10, this thing was huge to me, blends really well with the mains has decent output for our listening levels, goes deeper but loses its breath when very low frequencies are played, so I can only imagine what one Ultra 13 let alone 2 of those beasts would be like.
  • gurot1
    I would love an ultra...but the size might not work for me. I can hide the sb2000 for now while kids are young. In a few years down the road when kids older i'll buy an ultra off one of you guys who are experiencing upgraditis!
    rti6,csi5,fxi5
  • Mikey081057
    Mikey081057 Posts: 7,127
    I just checked out the Ultra 13. What a monster. My sub story: Polk sub, was ok at the time, didn't know any different plus we lived in a condo. Then moved on to an Energy s10.2, again good sub, better than the Polk one it did lack in the low end dept and did a decent job of blending in with the mains. On to my SVS PB10, this thing was huge to me, blends really well with the mains has decent output for our listening levels, goes deeper but loses its breath when very low frequencies are played, so I can only imagine what one Ultra 13 let alone 2 of those beasts would be like.

I had 2 Polk MP3K's in my HT rig and was never satisfied.. I kept tweaking but never felt they could put out enough. Then my PB13 Ultra arrived and I have been happy as a clam since. Very solid in every aspect and I would give 2 thumbs up recommendation. 2 Ultras would knock your house off the foundation.
    My New Year's resolution is 3840 × 2160

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Patio | Polk Atrium 8's | Yamaha R-N303BL |

Office BlueSound Node| KEF LS50 | Peactree Nova 125SE |

Bedroom | Focal 905's | Chromecast Audio |

Garage | Polk Monitor 5B's

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
  • mikeyb128

I had 2 Polk MP3K's in my HT rig and was never satisfied.. I kept tweaking but never felt they could put out enough. Then my PB13 Ultra arrived and I have been happy as a clam since. Very solid in every aspect and I would give 2 thumbs up recommendation. 2 Ultras would knock your house off the foundation.

I bought 2 MP3Ks from Amazon. Returned them both and bought my first ultra. I was never happy with the Polk subs.
    2 channel:
    Theater:

• bms
    bms Posts: 182
    After a week, my new Sledge STA-1000D amp arrived and I installed it in my PB13-Ultra in about 15 minutes. I calibrated using my SPL meter and ran Audessy, but was not satisfied with the result, so I called SVS. As usual, customer service was excellent. Ed Mullen spent almost 1 hour on the phone with me, and we got the Ultra set up. The digital amp is completely different than the analog Bash amps that I'm used to. Mind you, 1 hour on the phone and I bought the sub used from someone else!

The result - wow. It does everything my PC Plus 16-46 & PB10-ISD do together, and then some. Have not ran the Ultra and the 16-46 together yet - have company for the holiday, and Ed wants me to call him back when setting the 2 up together. He suggests that I run the Ultra with 1 plug and in 16 Hz mode, to match the native tune of the 16-46. I suspect the 2 together will be nothing short of unreal. I am going to try and get it done tomorrow.

The piano black sub is beautiful, but it is really big, and my wife isn't thrilled at the size, although she agrees that it's gorgeous. I do notice that while the Ultra does what my other 2 subs can do, it does it better - the output is brutal, yet effortless and accurate. It's not breaking a sweat. The Nemo "Darla" scene was an experience!
    bms
    Family Room:
    Onkyo TX-RZ920
    Outlaw 2200 monoblock amps x 3
    Sony UBP-X700
    Sony A80J 77” OLED
    Polk LSiM 705’s
    Polk LSiM 706
    Polk LSiM 703’s
    Polk RTi4's
    Dual SVS PB13-Ultra’s
    PC13-Ultra

Bonus Room:
    Onkyo TX-SR806
    PS3
    Panasonic TC-P42G10
    Polk RTi10's
    Polk CSi5
    Polk R50's
    SVS PB10-ISD

For sale:
    Onkyo TX-SR603X
  • So after 7 years I’m starting the slow path of upgrading my equipment. I really didn’t know that I needed to.

My first upgrade piece is the SB-2000 that will be delivered tomorrow. I never thought I’d spend $699 on speakers, let alone one speaker, haha.

Second upgrade - LSi M 703’s will hopefully be in house by Jan 12.

Hopefully these two will allow me to hear what I’ve been missing and both movies and some Jazz/Classical.

Guess my wallet will be hurting over the coming years….but think of the fun!

I feel timid for listing my equipment, but let the journey begin.
    HT : Pioneer Elite VSX-01TXH | Sony BDP-S350 | Parasound HCA 1500A | LSiM 703's | SVS SB-2000 | Polk Audio RM101 | Polk Audio RM7 | Sharp Aquos 52" LED | Speaker Cables - MIT AVt3 | ICs - MIT AVt3 | Harmony One

Headphones : Sennheiser HD-600 | Little Dot MK III tube amp | HRT - Music Streamer II DAC
  • hochpt21
    hochpt21 Posts: 5,423
    ZenDawgg wrote: »
    So after 7 years I’m starting the slow path of upgrading my equipment. I really didn’t know that I needed to.

My first upgrade piece is the SB-2000 that will be delivered tomorrow. I never thought I’d spend $699 on speakers, let alone one speaker, haha.

Hopefully these two will allow me to hear what I’ve been missing and both movies and some Jazz/Classical.

Congrats on the sub.

No need to be worried about listing your gear. We all have different level systems here. And we all started somewhere.

You seem to be on the right track.
    2 ChannelTurntable - VPI Classic 2/Ortofon 2M BlueAmplification - Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum II, Parks Audio Budgie PhonoSpeakers - GoldenEar Triton 17.2 Home TheaterDenon AVR-X3300W; Rotel RMB-1066; Klipsch RP-280F's, Klipsch RP-450C, Polk FXi3's, Polk RC60i; Dual SVS PB 2000's; BenQ HT2050; Elite Screens 120"Man CaveTurntable - Pro-Ject 2.9 Wood/Grado GoldAmplification - Dared SL2000a, McCormack DNA 0.5 DeluxeCD: Cambridge AudioSpeakers - Wharfedale Linton 85th Anniversary; LSiM 703; SDA 2A
  • mikeyb128
    ZenDawgg wrote: »
    So after 7 years I’m starting the slow path of upgrading my equipment. I really didn’t know that I needed to.

I have an sb1000 in my basement, Mid wall and puts out effortless bass in that size of room. You will be happy with the upgrade, that sub will give you years of enjoyment.
    2 channel:
    Theater: