Polk Bookshelf Speakers.

I have been looking at Polk RTiA1& Polk TSx220B speakers for my Vintage Kenwood KA-8004 amplifier. The amp is capable to produce 110 watts RMS continuous power, 55 watts per channel operating at 8 ohm. Any information or recommendation as to which would be the best choice for my stereo?

Best Answers

Answers

• Thank you for all giving good advice. You are all leaning me to look into towers now. However, I seem to be having the same problem here finding the right pair. As I mentioned, I'm running a great vintage Kenwood amp HA-8004. It pushes 110 watts RMS and 55 watts per channel at 8 ohms. I've read the reviews of the speakers listed here and find I'm more confused as ever. All reviews rave about the speakers. Naturally, every individual is looking for what they were buying them for and the review is tilted in their favor. Here is what I am looking to achieve;
    1. Solid bass response. Cerwin Vega always seemed to be the master here.
    2. Good highs and mids/clear sounding but not over powering the bass response.
    3. Economy in price but not sound.
    4. Able to handle my Amp

[]Here is what I have been looking at-All POLK;
    1. TSi 500
    2. Monitor 60 Series 2
    3. T50 Series.

Any comments or recommendations in reference to the above & any other models I should consider?

• I'm leaning toward the T50's. However, they are 6 ohm speakers. Will they work with my vintage Kenwood KA-8004 amplifier or will they stress the amp? Should I stay with 8 ohm speakers?
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    grandpa96 wrote: »
    I'm leaning toward the T50's. However, they are 6 ohm speakers. Will they work with my vintage Kenwood KA-8004 amplifier or will they stress the amp? Should I stay with 8 ohm speakers?

Your Kenwood should do fine, though ear bleeding levels of volume may not be realized. Vintage gear usually had some well built power supplies in spite of what the wattage ratings suggests.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable