Deftech SuperCube vs SVS SB13 Ultra ?

nhhiep
nhhiep Posts: 877
I've a normal size bedroom with doors removed, so the back is opened facing the midsize living room.

Current running 2 Supercube 1 subs next to Polk 707s cross at 60hz. Fairly happy with the bass, but I feel like I am missing the low end. You know, the bass that you can "feel".

There is a SB13 ultra and SC Reference for $700 each on CL. Would any of them sound better than 2 SC1? I am sure I can sell 2 SC1 for about the same $ on CL. I am concerning that 1 sub will give dips/nulls. I am using Audyssey MultiEQ XT from the Denon AVR 3806.

Thanks

Comments

• mikeyb128
    mikeyb128 Posts: 2,885
    I had the sb13 ultra In a huge basement and it f&$@ing rocked the basement. Digs deep and had that great mid base chest slam. Not familiar with the other subs. But that sb13 was awesome. If you can get it for 700 I would jump on that.
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• rpf65
    rpf65 Posts: 2,127
    Good price for the SVS. What is your emphasis, music, movies, gaming? Properly placed, and crossed over, you should be getting a lot of low end bass with those 2 SC1's. If your just looking to try another sub, go for it. Of course you can always buy the SVS and resell it. Probably wouldn't loose a penny on that guy.

Personally I would try working with the ones you have. Start with one, do the sub crawl, run your cal program, and grab the spl meter. Mark the original position, shock the readings, move it a little, and repeat. Find the sweet spot.

The repeat with the second. Positioning 2 subs incorrectly can create a lot of problems. So start with one.
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    I don't think you'll get better bass from the SB13 compared to 2 Supercube 1's.
    The Supercube 1 is a excellent woofer when setup properly. When your running 2 in a room , again if setup properly, you can have all the bass one could ever need.
    They dig low and hit hard. I've done tons of setups with 2 and how I position them makes huge impacts on the overall experience.
    1 sub is way harder to dial in a room to get a good overall response. If you do decide to move to the SB13, get 2 or don't bother.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.