Monitor 7 speaker sounds muffled

Options
gracelj
gracelj Posts: 12
edited September 2004 in Vintage Speakers
Okay, I just replaced the midrange drivers in my Monitor 7s. One speaker is beautiful - crisp, clear, wonderful sound. The other one sounds like it's under a pillow. There's no specific tone that sounds "out," but in comparison to the other it sounds distinctly muffled.

What do I need to do? Thanks in advance for your help!
Post edited by gracelj on

Comments

• Pauly
    Pauly Posts: 4,519
    edited September 2004
    Options
    Check the tweet. sounds like its shot to me...if it is you can pick up an orig sl2000 over in the FM. Just bagged a MINTY pair of Monitor 10 on ebay for 50 duckets cuz the guy said one sounded muffeld..$30 quick replacement on the tweet and sounding nice.

Pauly
    Life without music would
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,041
    edited September 2004
    Options
    Before you go around buying tweets...

Switch the tweeters and if the muffled sound follows the tweeter, it is the tweeter.

However, if the muffled sound stays with the same speaker, it is the crossover.
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • gracelj
    edited September 2004
    Options
    I had a feeling that might be it. I'll go swap them between the speakers and see if I've also swapped the problem.

Thank you very much! This is a wonderful forum!
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited September 2004
    Options
    Nice catch Trey.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • VR3
    edited September 2004
    Options
    thanks...I think? lol
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • gracelj
    edited September 2004
    Options
    Tweeter it was. I'll call for a pair (no point replacing only one) on Tuesday.

Thanks, everyone!
  • VR3
    edited September 2004
    Options
    Yep, the new Polk replacements are WORLDS better.

Make sure you tell them you a club member, you get a discount plus free 2nd day shipping
  • gracelj
    edited September 2004
    Options
    Free second day shipping???

Hmm. I think they forgot to tell me that part when I ordered my midrange! I got the discount okay, but the shipping bit seems to have gone by the wayside.

Thanks for the info!