Blown DSW 600 Pro Plate Amp - C/S Doesn't answer phone or email!

Hi need to have my DSW 600 Pro plate amplifier repaired. The "C7" diode blew and the PCB was burnt after a likely power surge at the time of lightning. I have seen somewhere that the service center in Vista, CA can repair or replace these amplifiers. however, it is impossible to get hold of anyone at Polk via phone or email so I'm trying this forum.

What is the procedure for sending a DSW Pro 600 plate amplifier to be repaired?

Thanks,
/John.

Comments

• Hello,
    Welcome to Polk's forum. In all likelihood if the amplifier's circuit board was damaged from a power surge caused by lightning it is not repairable. A repair can be done by replacing defective components, but a burned circuit board cannot be repaired. The complete amplifier would have to be replaced, hopefully covered by home/apartment insurance. If you want to post a photo of the damaged area I could give a more detailed opinion.
    To answer your question, however, the repair facility is: Polk Service, 1 Viper Way, Vista, CA 92081 and you would include a short note giving them your name, address, telephone number, email address and a description of what happened. Include this with the amplifier, if you decide to send it.
    Polk's Baltimore based CS department is 1-800-377-7655.
    Regards, Ken
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,832
    Just replace the amp, easier, and faster...

I have replaced both my 500, and 600 in the last two years. Polk CS is top notch..
  • Hi, thanks for the responses. My DSW Pro 600 plate amplifier has exactly the same issue as this one, which was previously discussed on the forum:
    http://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/161809/dsw-pro-600-not-working.

My board is the exactly the same type and the burnt part looks exactly the same:
    https://us.v-cdn.net/5021930/uploads/attachments/1/0/7/7/2/5/92260.jpg.

I tried to replace the cracked diode but the amplifier still wouldn't turn on.

Some internet posters claim that Polk C/S may replace one of the boards on the plate amplifier rather than the whole amplifier. This is essentially what I need Polk C/S to clarify, including the cost of both options. It doesn't make sense to send the plate amplifier to Vista, CA until contact has been made. I emailed and called them again today.

Thanks,
    /John.
  • Toolfan66 wrote: »
    Just replace the amp, easier, and faster...

I have replaced both my 500, and 600 in the last two years. Polk CS is top notch..

What was the cost for the new 600 amplifier?

Thanks,
    /John.
  • I'll refer this thread to the service folks in Vista.
  • John, to begin with I will say the Polk CS is top notch. In my case I had bought the sub on Polks ebay store. It was returned sub and when factoring in the time there was not warranty help in my case. Polk CS would send me a new amp at I believe a reduce price of $275. However, if I recall correctly it was not going to be a kind for kind replacement. When I factored everything in I decided to save up for a while and purchase a SVS sub based on several peoples reviews/recommendation.
    It was well worth the extra money.
    Hope that helps and welcome to Club Polk.
  • Hello,
    I received an email reply from the service manager, in California, and they do not repair the amplifier, only replace. The suggested retail price of the amp is $280.00 but they will offer it at an accommodation price of $150.00 plus applicable sales tax and $12.00 for shipping and handling.
    You can contact him at Gil.Palmer@soundunited.com to place an order.
    Regards, Ken
  • Thanks Ken. Very much appreciated. I have contacted Gil and will post the result in the forum soon.
  • RABB1T
    RABB1T Posts: 2
    I had the same issue with the amp in my DSW600 Sub. I contacted Polk and they gave me a number for a guy named Walter and he was located in Mississauga Ontario. So I called Walter and he refered me to a guy by the name of Sam. I called Sam and explained my issue with the sub, he said the DSW600 amp had been discontinued but the DSW660 amp works just the same.
    Sam had the amp in stock and it was priced @ $180 plus tax in CDN dollars.

The whole thing took about an hour from the time i called Polk to the time I had the new amp in my hands.

Sam was very helpful If your in Canada contact him, he can be reached @ Morgan Technology 905 890 1033.
  • Polkie2009
    Polkie2009 Posts: 3,834
    1 hour? That's amazingly fast CS!
  • Is it possible to use the DSW660 amp? I have the same issue and am in Montreal. Thank you. J
  • Yes @jacclark, you can use the DSWpro660 amplifier. We do have those available.

Since you are in Canada, please call Sam at 1-888-689-4429
  • Sam was amazing and everything got sorted, ordered, and replaced within 2 business days (Fri - Mon) - thank you very much.
  • Is this the issue p0zc4g8cvqd2.jpg
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,471
    Is what the issue?