Jolida JD9 Phono Pre Mod...

So I decided to take my phono pre to the next level, 2 years ago ( maybe longer ) I had upgraded the caps with Clarity MR 1.0's with good results.

This time I purchased some Burr Brown OP637A's and replaced the stock ones..

Let's just say I wish I had done this mod ages ago, the image and clarity is incredible, and the lower end seems to be more pronounced and tight...

Been listening to Dead Can Dance and it sounds better then I have ever heard it..

The sad part is this is such an easy mod, took all of 20 minutes if that, and that was pulling it out and putting it back in..

This is a must do mod for this unit, I have read nothing but good things about it for sometime now glad I finally did it...

Comments

• treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,230
    I will take it. Daggum, wrong forum.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,834
    Haha, watcha buying Tom?
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,230
    Your Jolida JD-9. *smiles*

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • hochpt21
    hochpt21 Posts: 5,423
    Me too... Second in line B)

Cheers :)
    2 ChannelTurntable - VPI Classic 2/Ortofon 2M BlueAmplification - Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum II, Parks Audio Budgie PhonoSpeakers - GoldenEar Triton 17.2 Home TheaterDenon AVR-X3300W; Rotel RMB-1066; Klipsch RP-280F's, Klipsch RP-450C, Polk FXi3's, Polk RC60i; Dual SVS PB 2000's; BenQ HT2050; Elite Screens 120"Man CaveTurntable - Pro-Ject 2.9 Wood/Grado GoldAmplification - Dared SL2000a, McCormack DNA 0.5 DeluxeCD: Cambridge AudioSpeakers - Wharfedale Linton 85th Anniversary; LSiM 703; SDA 2A
  • Toolfan66
    treitz3 wrote: »
    Your Jolida JD-9. *smiles*

Tom

:smiley:

• Jhayman
    Jhayman Posts: 1,548
    Good work Larry...
    30 min of downtime and unlimited hours of enjoyment..
    ATC SCM40's,VTL TL 2.5 Preamp,PSB Stratus Goldi's,McCormack DNA 500,McCormack MAP-1 Preamp,Pro-Ject Xtension 10 TT,Ortofon Cadenza Red/Nordost RedDawn LS Speaker cables, Bryston BDP-2, Bryston BDA-2,PS Audio AC-3 power cables
  • Toolfan66
    Jhayman wrote: »
    Good work Larry...
    30 min of downtime and unlimited hours of enjoyment..

Thanks, it really is easy to do, looking forward to working out this morning, finish up some yard work, and have some time to play with the system for a few hours..
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,350
    edited August 2015
    Nice work! Love it when folks crack the hood and diy!

One other way to go, although more expensive and if you have space for them, are discrete op amps, like from Burson. I did that in a Music Hall 25.3 DAC with excellent results. That would set you back ~ $140 for a pair though. They also offer flexible extension leads.

807269bpgnrf.png
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • Toolfan66
    SCompRacer wrote: »
    Nice work! Love it when folks crack the hood and diy!

One other way to go, although more expensive and if you have space for them, are discrete op amps, like from Burson. I did that in a Music Hall 25.3 DAC with excellent results. That would set you back ~ $140 for a pair though. They also offer flexible extension leads.

807269bpgnrf.png

I saw those and considered them, do you know how long they are??

Oh, and thanks..
  • Toolfan66
    So I have to say I really can't believe how clean the sound stage is with this mod, I have loved the sound of vinyl, but this really has me revisiting some old titles..

I'm very happy....
  • hochpt21
    I've looked at this unit for a few years now (from afar :) ) I've only heard good things about the stock units...the modded ones must be a dream.
    2 ChannelTurntable - VPI Classic 2/Ortofon 2M BlueAmplification - Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum II, Parks Audio Budgie PhonoSpeakers - GoldenEar Triton 17.2 Home TheaterDenon AVR-X3300W; Rotel RMB-1066; Klipsch RP-280F's, Klipsch RP-450C, Polk FXi3's, Polk RC60i; Dual SVS PB 2000's; BenQ HT2050; Elite Screens 120"Man CaveTurntable - Pro-Ject 2.9 Wood/Grado GoldAmplification - Dared SL2000a, McCormack DNA 0.5 DeluxeCD: Cambridge AudioSpeakers - Wharfedale Linton 85th Anniversary; LSiM 703; SDA 2A
  • Toolfan66
    hochpt21 wrote: »
    I've looked at this unit for a few years now (from afar :) ) I've only heard good things about the stock units...the modded ones must be a dream.

It is a dream, Led Zeppelin II sounds incredible right now.. B)

• SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,350
    edited August 2015
    Toolfan66 wrote: »

I had the first design which IIRC were larger. This is a current spec page from Burson. Fairly sure the OEM op amp in the JD9's were dual (OPA2604 or OP37), so the 21mm (.82") thick one is the dual. 16mm (.62") wide and 42mm (1.65") tall.

SS-Discrete-Opamp-Spec.jpg

Aaron has the Music Hall 25.3 DAC now. Someone had it and reversed one HD op amp of a matched pair upon install and smoked it. (It was best to remove the Burson HD op amps from socket when shipping). I got the DAC back and tested it with OEM op amps and it still worked. Aaron bought it and purchased the newer design Burson's to replace the matched pair. It had three op amps total. IIRC one dual was for tube output, two were for balanced out SS output.

I got mine from Parts Connexion. I think Aaron may have bought them direct from Burson. They also offer this 35mm extension for remote mounting.

79439.jpg

These were the first design in the 25.3. They near touched the top of case.

mh253close.jpg
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • Toolfan66
    SCompRacer wrote: »
    Toolfan66 wrote: »

I had the first design which IIRC were larger. This is a current spec page from Burson. Fairly sure the OEM op amp in the JD9's were dual (OPA2604 or OP37), so the 21mm (.82") thick one is the dual. 16mm (.62") wide and 42mm (1.65") tall.

SS-Discrete-Opamp-Spec.jpg

Aaron has the Music Hall 25.3 DAC now. Someone had it and reversed one HD op amp of a matched pair upon install and smoked it. (It was best to remove the Burson HD op amps from socket when shipping). I got the DAC back and tested it with OEM op amps and it still worked. Aaron bought it and purchased the newer design Burson's to replace the matched pair. It had three op amps total. IIRC one dual was for tube output, two were for balanced out SS output.

I got mine from Parts Connexion. I think Aaron may have bought them direct from Burson. They also offer this 35mm extension for remote mounting.

79439.jpg

These were the first design in the 25.3. They near touched the top of case.

mh253close.jpg

Thanks for the info, I would definitely need the extensions, and even then I might have to still do some modding on the case, or just build a new case.. :smile:
  • Hello,
    There is a person on the DIY Audio forum who removed C16 on both channels and replaced with a wire that noticed a significant improvement. This is a 220uF cap that is connected to R8 and seems to be superfluous since the IC is configured with dual supply voltages eliminating any DC offset.
    Regards, Ken
  • Toolfan66
    Thanks Ken,

I will look into that as well..
  • Toolfan66
    Can't wait to go home fire up the stereo!!! I feel a little VH or RUSH hitting the table..
  • Dawgfish
    Dawgfish Posts: 2,554
    Nice work! I've done very similar mods to my JD-9. I used Obbligato Gold caps and instead of all op-amps being OPA637s, I used LT1028s for the right must pair and OPA637s for the center and left pair. I've tried all OPA637s, but think its a little quieter with the LT1028s on the right must position. I also tried AD843s on the left most positions per recommendations on other boards, but found the AD843s to add to much hiss. I've tried many different tubes in the JD -9, but have ultimately settled on Telefunken smooth plates as my favorite. They give great detail and soundstage with a touch of warmth. I like them way better than the rib plates. Great work! Modded JD-9s sound spectacular. I have no intentions of upgrading mine.
  • Dawgfish
    Upgrading to another phono pre that is.
  • Toolfan66
    Dawgfish wrote: »
    Upgrading to another phono pre that is.

Me either,, the op-amps were such a huge improvement, I will be happy with this for a long time...

You feel like you just upgraded to a phono pre that would be in the $1k or better range..

• Dawgfish
    Exactly, I feel the same way. I think it gets all of the bases done right: detail, dynamics, soundstage, prat, and relatively good quietness. It does it all.
  • hochpt21
    I'm considering an unmodded Jolida JD9. I have never modded electronics before.

Few questions.

From a bit of research it seems these Burr Brown op amps may make the biggest impact. To switch these out, are they just 'plug in'? Or is there soldering involved?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Burr-Brown-OPA637-Precision-Hi-Speed-Difet-OPAmp-OPA637-/160299583574

Are these the OP amps^^^

Is $39 each about right? So around $235 for the mod?

Finally, would this be the same mod on the Jolida JD9 mkII ??

Thanks for the help, just trying to figure out what my total cost would be if I got one of these.

Thanks,
    Paul
  • Not to raise a thread from the dead, but does anyone have a direct link you can provide for purchasing the flexible op amp extensions pictured and mentioned here?

I am a reviewer for Burson Audio and Orange Amplifications, neither of them directly sell these flexible extensions (I've asked). I also checked the site mentioned (Parts Connexion) and could not find them anywhere.

Thanks for any help! I've been trying to run down a retailer selling these for months.

If anyone is curious, here is my site: www.ZoSoNCSU.com As of now I only have one in depth review posted, but I am working on a big review and build log for an ESS ES9038Pro build (DSD64 to DSD1024 native decoding).
  • agfrost
    agfrost Posts: 2,421
    Is this the part, on the Burson site (offered as add-on to opamp purchase)?
    https://www.bursonaudio.com/products/supreme-sound-opamp-v5/
    Jay
    SDA 2BTL * Musical Fidelity A5cr amp * Oppo BDP-93 * Modded Adcom GDA-600 DAC * Rythmik F8 (x2)
    Micro Seiki DQ-50 * Hagerman Cornet 2 Phono * A hodgepodge of cabling * Belkin PF60
    Preamp rotation: Krell KSL (SCompRacer recapped) * Manley Shrimp * PS Audio 5.0
  • HallmanLabs
    HallmanLabs Posts: 2
    edited October 2017
    Thanks guys, I really appreciate it.

I'm kind of confused why Burson in fact DOES offer them, but Burson Audio themselves told me they don't sell them, lol.

Isn't $20 a pair + $15 S/H at Burson a little outrageous for 35mm? What are they using for the extension wires? Solid Silver?

Over at AudioGD, which of the extension designs do you think would best suit me if I am mainly testings op amps like the Burson V5-OPA? Although it is technically "discrete", it doesn't have near the power requirements compared to Audio GD's discrete offerings.

Edit: just noticed the change in price from the normal Audio GD extension and the one with a power capacitors is only 10 cents, lol. I might get pairs of both styles for less than $4 each.