Sub Box Volume and Shape: Revised

Systems
Systems Posts: 14,873
edited September 2004 in Custom Fabrication
What effect does the sub box shape have on volume and sound quality in general? Most dual sub set ups that ive seen have the wide boxes that are barely a foot deep. by comparison, some bass tubes that use similar sub and amp specs sort of sound better and louder, but of course i may be too subjective.

In any case, if there are some benefits, can i simulate a round tube by making a rectangular box? Since i don't want to mess with the stock mounting of my CD changer, im thinking of making a deep box, maybe 15" internal depth, and either install it between the changer and right WHEEL-WELL*, or sideways behind the seats like a round tube.

I dont have a very large budget and since i dont compete in shows or anything im pretty much a DIY guy.

Thanks in advance for your comments and suggestions.

*wrote FOOTWELL in last Post;my freaky software blocked me from posting replies
Testing
Testing
Testing
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited August 2004
    doesnt matter...do what you like:D
    a lot of ppl put subs in their tire enclosure....most ppl use fiberglass...so if you know how...that might be an option
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • Systems
    edited August 2004
    Yeah, i wanted to put the sub in the spare tire compartment, but ive given it a lot of thought and ive decided that unless ive got run-flat tires like on Corvettes and BMWs id rather not.

See, i live in the Philippines and 'shark tows' are commonplace...doesnt matter if you are waiting for your private towing service, they're gonna tow you anyway.my friend actually had the sharks watching over his back and trailing him, probably hoping his spare tire was underinflated or flat or something.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • exalted512
    edited August 2004
    wow...thats bad...
    so they can tow your car even if youre in it??
    -Cody
  • neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited August 2004
    that would be weird...

anyways, try to mix it up with the sub dimensions... that is, don't make the internal dimensions all 12", because if you get distortion at the frequency that matches 12" (which you will, all subs do), then it will be at least three times as audible than if you have 11-12-13 sides... and brace a lot, too...
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • Systems
    edited August 2004
    So it doesn't matter if the box is wide or long, its the internal volume that's important, correct?

Thanks.

About the towing thing, technically they can't, but the city governments in the capital leased private towing companies and they couldn't keep up with the inspections to see what idiots these companies hired, usually those who didn't even survive high school. we could take it to court, though, but even Jim Carrey in "Liar Liar" thought it a disproportionate allocation of resources. better just pay the towing and be done with it.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • exalted512
    edited August 2004
    you are correct:D
    -Cody
  • Joelsbass
    Joelsbass Posts: 637
    edited September 2004
    i'd just get a shotgun and point it at them if they came near my car... i don't know if that'd fly over there though....
    MacLeod: I guess youre lucky Polk has such lax hiring standards.

Josh: Damn skippy!