Official SVS owners thread!

Comments

• EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
    rooftop59 wrote: »
    Depends on the room, but generally speaking one higher end is better. It will do things that two lesser subs combined cannot do...

Agreed but to take it further what are you looking to get more of?

A better sub will likely dig deeper than your current sub, however if your dealing with a null or room mode it WILL NOT fix that.

Duals if NOT on top/next to each other can help even out room response to ensure everyone gets similar volume of bass at their locations and can help even out room modes.

So pick yer posion. If you just want deeper, then upgrade. If its deep enough as it is and you just want a more even room response, duals may be better.

I'm stuck with a single DIY and likely upgrading my driver to the tune of 450 bucks so I can increase my SPL below 20hz to ungodly levels and let some of the Polkies in the northernmost part of the state feel when I have it cranked :smile:
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • oldrocker
    oldrocker Posts: 2,590
    Oh yeah, we here a "distant" thump from time to time. B)
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
    edited August 2015
    oldrocker wrote: »
    Oh yeah, we here a "distant" thump from time to time. B)

@oldrocker You think you hear a thump now... check my thread...

I'm shooting for 2 hz now :smile:

Make folks sign a waiver if they have a pacemaker or any heart issues before they can come in the house :smile:
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • oldrocker
    oldrocker Posts: 2,590
    I just saw read it.
    Oh you young whipper snappers and your toys... :D
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    Sami wrote: »
    I cannot comment on the particular subs as I don't have experience with them but one higher end my preference. You might get slightly higher output with two (or not) but most of the time the higher ends output is, well, higher end. You'd probably tighter, less boomy bass out of it. Especially if the system is used for music I would lean towards a higher end model. Plus your upgrade path next time is easier...

Easier? I am affraid I will end up with two $1300 subs. Somebody stop me!

• afterburnt
    SVS Merlin says that I need the $2000 sub
  • Sami
    Sami Posts: 4,634
    Well, I have the $2k sub but Merlin is suggesting $800 subs. I currently have Magnepan MMG's on a very large room with a PB13 Ultra. For LSi9's that I have in the theatre room it recommends up to PB12 Plus, SB13 Ultra or PC12 Plus. I think the current PC-Ultra works fine with them and is on line with the suggestion. I would definitely take such a generic recommendation with a grain of salt.
  • mikeyb128
    mikeyb128 Posts: 2,885
    The pb12 plus is a great sub and excellent value. I would love to try a cylinder sub in the back of my room due to space constraints.

You might as well buy 4 ultras and call it a day.
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• afterburnt
    @mikeyb128 what are you running your PB12+ with?

It is good that I can only squeeze one more sub in here or else I would be thinking about 4, that would rule lol!
  • mikeyb128
    afterburnt wrote: »

It is good that I can only squeeze one more sub in here or else I would be thinking about 4, that would rule lol!

I use 2x pb13 ultras with lsim 705 and 706c :smile: there is no shortage of sub power in my room.
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• mikeyb128
    nbrowser wrote: »
    mikeyb128 wrote: »

I use 2x pb13 ultras with lsim 705 and 706c :smile: there is no shortage of sub power in my room.

I almost thought about smuggling one of those out of the house... :wink:

Lol! It would probably fold you in half! I fit one in my golf and managed to get it out of my car and into the house alone!
    2 channel:
    Theater:

• Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042

That's insane. I like it.
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • Sami
    Sami Posts: 4,634
    Nightfall wrote: »

That's insane. I like it.

I say he needs to go down to 1Hz as then he can play digital...
  • Kurt300
    Kurt300 Posts: 302
    nbrowser wrote: »

I almost thought about smuggling one of those out of the house... :wink:

Lol! It would probably fold you in half! I fit one in my golf and managed to get it out of my car and into the house alone!

Just when I thought I was relatively satisfied, you guys are making me lust after the PB13-Ultras...trying to convince myself that I could re-purpose my PB12-Pluses to the BR and PC setups...
  • afterburnt
    Gonna order a second pb 2000 boy my first pb 2000 looked like a wasing machine. Next to these 707 it looks like a lunch box
  • gce
    gce Posts: 2,158
    SVS is having a moving sale if your looking for something from them now's the time.
    http://www.svsound.com/
    Anaheim Hills CA,
    HT 5.1: Anthem MRX 720 / BDP-Denon DBT1713UD / Polkaudio LSiM703 / W4S mAmp's / Polkaudio LSiM706c / Polkaudio LSiM702F/X's / SVS PC12-NSD / Panasonic TC P55VT30

2 Channel: Rogue RP-5 / WireWorld Electra power cord / Marantz TT-15S1/ Ortofon - Quintet Black MC / Marantz NA8005 DAC / W4S mAmp's / Synology DS 216+ll-4TB / Polkaudio LSiM703
  • afterburnt
    Got my second PB 2000, what should I xo my speakers at?
  • afterburnt
    I merlined them
  • afterburnt
    werks gud, I thought I should run the 707's lower but 60 is fine
  • afterburnt
    hey this merlin thing says to use 40hz for the LsiM705 but says to use 60hz for the LsiM707
  • rpf65
    rpf65 Posts: 2,127
    Merlin is a guide. It can't account for every unique situation. For instance the 705s are better suited for a mid size room, while the 707s are better suited for a larger room.

To get proper bass response the whole room needs to be pressurized. Given the same amount of amplification for each speaker, that would make sense. Just a guess on my part about the algorithm parameters.

SVS spends a lot of money on their customer support side of the business. If your having trouble getting a sub dialed in, they can help.

Actually think those guys are issued squeeze balls for stress relief. Can't really understand why the the phrase "look you moron/idiot I said:" isn't used more often.
  • afterburnt
    That would be an Imbecile
  • afterburnt
    edited September 2015
    SVS said 60hz would be betterbut I figured that out when subs would stay off most of the time when set to auto. Everything is set to 60 or 800 now to play around with the center xo
  • The SVS tech team is the biggest creator of sales that SVS has. I have NEVER heard anything negative about them...No chance of them ever getting outsourced.

My New Year's resolution is 3840 × 2160

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Patio | Polk Atrium 8's | Yamaha R-N303BL |

Office BlueSound Node| KEF LS50 | Peactree Nova 125SE |

Bedroom | Focal 905's | Chromecast Audio |

Garage | Polk Monitor 5B's

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,862
    Tonight I am having delivered an PB 10 NSD I found used locally. I am looking forward to joining the SVS family. I'm sure it will beat my Energy 10.2. I am contemplating using both not sure yet. I have a funny feeling I'll want to get a 12" in the coming years.
  • Mikey081057
    Mikey081057 Posts: 7,127
    Conrats!! you will not be disappointed
    My New Year's resolution is 3840 × 2160

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Patio | Polk Atrium 8's | Yamaha R-N303BL |

Office BlueSound Node| KEF LS50 | Peactree Nova 125SE |

Bedroom | Focal 905's | Chromecast Audio |

Garage | Polk Monitor 5B's

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    Willow wrote: »
    Tonight I am having delivered an PB 10 NSD I found used locally. I am looking forward to joining the SVS family. I'm sure it will beat my Energy 10.2. I am contemplating using both not sure yet. I have a funny feeling I'll want to get a 12" in the coming years.

I have that svs in the living room and have a mirage in the bedroom that is very similar to your energy. In a smaller room with most music you wont notice much difference. However, in a larger room or with movies with deep LFE you will notice a HUGE difference.

As for using both, the best HT setup I've had used a sub to supplement the center channel and then a big bad LFE sub. So much bass comes through the center that it really made a big difference. You should try it if you have space.
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • Willow

I have that svs in the living room and have a mirage in the bedroom that is very similar to your energy. In a smaller room with most music you wont notice much difference. However, in a larger room or with movies with deep LFE you will notice a HUGE difference.

As for using both, the best HT setup I've had used a sub to supplement the center channel and then a big bad LFE sub. So much bass comes through the center that it really made a big difference. You should try it if you have space.

Thanks guys looking forward to it. Our room is 12'w 21'long and 9' high. It is 98% DD+ Netflix and movies.
  • Willow
    Sub for in the house, didn't calibrate it yet as kids wanted to watch while I made dinner. Once they are in bed I'll try to play with it a bit. However I came home to find our Internet is down so I have to call to give them heck that's twice in 24 hrs.
  • afterburnt

I was going to try that center sub thing but had no room to do it. How did you hook up a sub to your center?