HD Tracks pricing

Options
BlueFox
BlueFox Posts: 15,251
This week the last three Led Zeppelin remasters will be released, and I will buy the downloads versus the CDs. However, earlier in the week, I saw on HD Tracks the MC5 album from 1968 is in the new release category. Since I no longer have my old albums, I thought I should purchase it, but the $25 price for 192/24, and $18 for 96/24 seemed excessive. I ended up spending $9 for the CD on Amazon, and ripping it.

While I love being able to download music, the price for some selections are ridiculous. I seriously doubt the $25 192/24 download is three times better than the $9 44/16 CD. In fact, for a 1968 recording the CD is pretty good, but I had forgotten how bad the singing is. :)

Come on HD Tracks, lower your prices so I can buy more music.

51J50177AXL._AA160_.jpg
Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
Three 20 amp circuits.

Comments

• Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,071
    Options
    HDTracks is a little pricey considering you get no physical media and who knows what laws prohibit you from doing what and where to your new digital songs. You could buy SACD's for that price, aren't they DSD?
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • BlueFox
    Options
    I seriously doubt the MC5 will make it to SACD. :)

While I can play DSD downloads, they too are expensive. I would prefer a download over the ripping a CD since I am running out of shelf space.

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 1,394
    Options
    How could there be a SACD? Or DSD from it? Their is a physical process that occurs for SACD and its format of DSD. Or are we talking about upconverting again and selling at a premium.

Anyhow. Enjoy man.

Halen
  • BlueFox
    Options
    Forget the SACD/DSD part. For this topic it is all PCM.

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Yes sir. So how is it possible to have 192/24 native PCM? Oversampling? It makes me curious. Obviously I don't have a setup like yours and perhaps it takes one to reveal the artifacts or should I say, lack of.

Haha. Just curious. Enjoy man.

Halen
  • BlueFox
    Options
    I'm not sure how they make the digital versions. Since this download is from a recorded 1968 concert, I assume the tape is analog. So, how was it converted to digital? The point I was making is that I doubt if the 192/24 version is worth $25 versus the $9 CD version.

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Thank you. So. HD Tracks is still scamming people into higher Rez. Even if it was recorded in analog, the physical process is still different.. It could be made into PCM or whatever you want.

Halen
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,071
    Options
    halenhoang wrote: »
    Thank you. So. HD Tracks is still scamming people into higher Rez. Even if it was recorded in analog, the physical process is still different.. It could be made into PCM or whatever you want.

Halen

I don't think hi resolution FLAC or DSD is any more of a scam than SACD, or am I missing something?
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Nightfall wrote: »
    halenhoang wrote: »

Halen

I don't think hi resolution FLAC or DSD is any more of a scam than SACD, or am I missing something?

You are.
  • BlueFox
    Options
    It all breaks down to the original recording. Done right, the higher resolution formats can add value to the playback. On the other hand, both high-res and SACD can just be a gimmick to help sell music.

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    Options
    Just because originals are done analog doesn't mean they can't be true hi Rez
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • dragon1952
    dragon1952 Posts: 4,894
    Options
    halenhoang obviously is the one missing something. HD Tracks is not a scam. Do your homework on each offering and you will be fine. Maybe in the very beginning they weren't quite aware of the legitimacy of some of their offerings but I think that's well in the past.
    2 channel - Willsenton R8 tube integrated, Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC, audio optimized NUC7i5, Windows 10 Pro/JRiver MC29/Fidelizer Plus 8.7 w/LPS and external SSD drive, PS Audio PerfectWave P3 regenerator, KEF R3 speakers, Rythmik F12SE subwoofer, Inakustik Reference USB cable, Gabriel Gold IC's, Morrow Audio SP5 speaker cables. Computer - Windows 10/JRiver, Schiit Magni 3+/Modi 3+, Fostex PMO.4n monitors, Sennheiser HD600 headphones
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    edited July 2015
    Options
    As we all know, recording is not just a science, it's an art. It takes a ton of skill and must include passion. We also have to rely on the fact again that everyone's ears are different.
    Here is a link to David Wilson of Wilson audio who was first passion was recording before developing speakers. His interviews are very interesting

They discuss choosing converters for his tape files

Having issues with link: use this and go to...Announcing Wilson Audiophile Recordings
    http://www.wilsonaudio.com/videos.php?page=2
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • gce
    gce Posts: 2,158
    Options
    Keep in mind that the price you see is not the price you need to pay. If you're on HD's mailing list they send out 10, 15, 20% off codes all the time. So just wait till what you want is 20% off, it will happen.
    Anaheim Hills CA,
    HT 5.1: Anthem MRX 720 / BDP-Denon DBT1713UD / Polkaudio LSiM703 / W4S mAmp's / Polkaudio LSiM706c / Polkaudio LSiM702F/X's / SVS PC12-NSD / Panasonic TC P55VT30

2 Channel: Rogue RP-5 / WireWorld Electra power cord / Marantz TT-15S1/ Ortofon - Quintet Black MC / Marantz NA8005 DAC / W4S mAmp's / Synology DS 216+ll-4TB / Polkaudio LSiM703
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,372
    Options
    That MC5 album is also available for free streaming with an Amazon Prime account.

From what I have seen in reviews from people who have analyzed HDTracks offerings, there is still a lot of dynamic compression applied depending on where the recording originally came from. While this may not necessarily tell how the tracks will sound compared to a 16 bit track, it is an indicator that some poor decisions are being made by music labels when they put out supposed high resolution recordings. One strange thing I have noticed is the average 5 minute song in 16 bit WAV format is around 40-50 MB, while the same length of song from HDTracks can range anywhere from 150 MB to 360 MB depending on the recording in 192/24 format.

This is not something I ever thought I would say, but I am perfectly happy with ripped tracks from CDs in WAV format now and don't feel a need to buy from HDTracks anymore if their offerings are more expensive than a CD. The only reason I can say this now is availability of conversion of 16 bit audio tracks to DSD combined with filtering from a music server.