Eastern Electric Minimax Pre amp (with Tom Tutay mods)

dhart86
dhart86 Posts: 1,594
edited July 2015 in For Sale (FS) Classifieds
With much (and I mean much) reservations...I am posting this excellent pre amp for sale
It is a very good amp and a tube rollers dream because it takes (2) 12au7 tubes and a 6x4 rectifier tube. But the two 12au7 tubes could be two completely different ones. This will allow you to customize various sound combinations

It is in excellent condition, no scratches...come with original box and manual.

Asking $725 + shipping and 3% paypal
Main Rig:
Antipodes DX > Roon > PS Audio Directstream Jr.>deHavilland Ultraverve 3 >Belles Reference 150a >Harbeth C7 ES3

Second Rig:
Roon> PS Audio Directstream Jr Bridge II > EE Minimax pre (Tutay mods) >Belles 150A Ref >Monitor 5 (Westmassguy-modded)

Comments

• dragon1952
    dragon1952 Posts: 4,894
    With the Tutay mods you can even use a larger variety of options in the middle position. Great, and fun little preamp
    2 channel - Willsenton R8 tube integrated, Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC, audio optimized NUC7i5, Windows 10 Pro/JRiver MC29/Fidelizer Plus 8.7 w/LPS and external SSD drive, PS Audio PerfectWave P3 regenerator, KEF R3 speakers, Rythmik F12SE subwoofer, Inakustik Reference USB cable, Gabriel Gold IC's, Morrow Audio SP5 speaker cables. Computer - Windows 10/JRiver, Schiit Magni 3+/Modi 3+, Fostex PMO.4n monitors, Sennheiser HD600 headphones
  • dhart86
    Yup....dragon is right....the middle tube is most responsible for the sonic character.

I had (still have) a Siemens E80CC gold pin as well as same version Tunsgram. They are a tall tube as in the pic
    oqln3zjls22o.jpg
    Main Rig:
    Antipodes DX > Roon > PS Audio Directstream Jr.>deHavilland Ultraverve 3 >Belles Reference 150a >Harbeth C7 ES3

Second Rig:
    Roon> PS Audio Directstream Jr Bridge II > EE Minimax pre (Tutay mods) >Belles 150A Ref >Monitor 5 (Westmassguy-modded)

• dragon1952
    If you are going to be selling any of your tubes let me know.
    2 channel - Willsenton R8 tube integrated, Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC, audio optimized NUC7i5, Windows 10 Pro/JRiver MC29/Fidelizer Plus 8.7 w/LPS and external SSD drive, PS Audio PerfectWave P3 regenerator, KEF R3 speakers, Rythmik F12SE subwoofer, Inakustik Reference USB cable, Gabriel Gold IC's, Morrow Audio SP5 speaker cables. Computer - Windows 10/JRiver, Schiit Magni 3+/Modi 3+, Fostex PMO.4n monitors, Sennheiser HD600 headphones
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,056
    sla6f7vugkuz.jpeg

Looking for a picture of it would this be the one this young lady is displaying?
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • dragon1952
    Umm...I don't see no minimax
  • dhart86
    gudnoyez wrote: »
    sla6f7vugkuz.jpeg

Looking for a picture of it would this be the one this young lady is displaying?

Cant see ....the young lady is blinding me to the rest of the room....however, here is the one I'm selling

yu3qjbqnz8sa.jpg
    9252tosl3che.jpg
    1fy14jrccr4j.jpg
    ea.JPG 138.3K
    east.JPG 103.1K
    eas.jpg 88.6K
    Main Rig:

Second Rig:

• dhart86
    dragon....let me go through my stash, I will pm you later with a list of tubes
    Main Rig:

Second Rig:

• dragon1952
    dhart86 wrote: »
    dragon....let me go through my stash, I will pm you later with a list of tubes
    sounds good....thanks
  • dhart86
    Dragon,
    after going thru some tubes, I can only part with a few of the better tubes.

These are available now:

NOS Siemens E80cc pictured in my pre amp post. This tube is a genuine Siemens & Halske which were early production (best) Siemens tubes. Not to be confused with some of the other Siemens E80cc produced in other plants but labelled Siemens asking $69 shipped pp gift

NOS Tunsgram E80cc $25 shipped pp gift

Heintz Kaufman E80cc probably the best of the bunch.
    Think Radiotechnique/ Amperex BB / Phillips PQ but a little more refined and airy
    This tubes has about 75% life left asking $55 shipped pp gift

These may be available later:

Brimar 12au7 pair
    Amperex 12au7 Bugle Boys pair
    La Radiotechnique 12au7 pair
    Main Rig:

Second Rig:

• george daniel
    george daniel Posts: 12,096
    Can you post a pich with the bottom off please
    JC approves....he told me so. (F-1 nut)
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,053
    edited July 2015
    Can you elaborate on the Tutay mods, and photo's with the bottom off as George has also requested. I currently have the factory model, but would consider this one and sell my un-modded version.

But I need to know exactly what's been done, etc.

H9

P.s. Which Brimar tubes are you considering selling? Short or long plates?
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • george daniel
    Brocko,, mine had the gain reduced and the ps beefed up and the middle tube options were greatly expanded.
  • heiney9
    It does have my interest. The one and ONLY negative I can say about the factory unit is the gain is a tad high for most recordings at times. I generally like to use a bit more on the volume control.

H9

"Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • george daniel
    With the Tutay modded unit you will have that ability
  • dhart86
    edited July 2015
    The most common Tom Tutay modification were gain reduction and power supply boost. That was done on this model, However, Sorry Brock, this amp was sold last night on A'gon
    Main Rig:

Second Rig:

• dhart86
    This is SOLD
    Main Rig:

Second Rig:

• heiney9
    Not a problem, thanks
  • george daniel
    Congrats on the sale
  • dhart86
    Thanks George
    Main Rig:

Second Rig:

• dragon1952
    here are the normal Tutay mods

b886iy0ijuqq.jpg