SDA 1B in the house now

Options
izafar
izafar Posts: 814
edited August 2004 in Vintage Speakers
I am now a very happy owner of a pair of SDA 1Bs. .:D I picked these up from the seller this weekend. It was a good 9 hour round trip from Houston to Dallas but was well worth it.

Condition:
The speakers are in pretty good shape with only some cosmetic issues as reported by seller in the listing. 30 minutes with a damp micro fiber cloth really helped a lot towards their appearance, and they look pretty nice once settled into their final position in my living room.

Setup:
They are 10 feet apart and 10 feet from my listening position. I hooked them with 14 gauge monster wire. I am driving them with Carver 405 and using Denon 2802 as prepro. Source is Toshiba SD3960. All interconnects are Monster 400I.

Listening:
I haven't tried a lot of material with them, they sound so nice and different that I keep on listening to the first set of CDs from my list, which includes "The look of Love", "The Girl from Other Room" & "Tubular Bells (DTS 5.1 & LPCM Stereo".
The tonal quality is pretty decent with a very nice bottom end, a sweet midrange with a rather bright treble. They sound better and better as I turn up the volume. The sound stage is huge with instruments filling the gap between speakers and my listening position. On both the Dian Krall CDs the vocalist get a very strong center image, which is slightly forward towards listening position. The instruments recorded with a lot of reverb sound very big, as sound seems to be reflecting from side and rear walls. This really creates a very different and unique acoustic environment in my room. One thing I noticed is that I am getting a relatively more defined imaging from left side of the room as compared to right side. I am not sure if this is inherent to the recording or the way they are setup. The left speaker is 3 feet from sidewall where as the right speakers is 14 feet from sidewall. I will try some other CDs and see if I continue to get this, then will try to rearrange stuff in my room. What are your recomended recording to hear the SDA effects?
-izafar

Goldenear Technology Triton 1 - Benchmark AHB2 - Benchmark LA4 - Auralic Vega - Auralic Aries Mini - Marantz TT-15S1 - Clearaudio Nano
Post edited by izafar on

Comments

• steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,522
    edited August 2004
    Options
    Incubus: Morning View, all.
    No Doubt: Hey Baby
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • I-SIG
    I-SIG Posts: 2,238
    edited August 2004
    Options
    Originally posted by steveinaz
    Incubus, Morning View.

Ditto.

Also try out some Doors, DSoTM, Collective Soul, No Doubt, Michael Tolcher. There's plenty more...

Wes
    Link: http://polkarmy.com/forums

Panasonic TH-42PHD8UK 42" HDTV | Polk Audio SDA-SRS's (w/RDO's & Vampire Posts) + SVS PC+ 25-31 | AudioQuest Granite (mids) + BWA Silver (highs) | Cary Audio CAD-200 | Signal Cable Silver Resolution XLR's | Wyred 4 Sound STP/SE Pre | Signal Cable Silver Resolution XLR's | Cambridge Audio azur 840C--Wadia 170i + iPod jammed w/ lossless audio--Oppo 970 | Pure|AV PF31d
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,794
    edited August 2004
    Options
    Just about everything sounds better on a pair of SDA's! Congrats
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• izafar
    izafar Posts: 814
    edited August 2004
    Options
    I had been trying a lot of material during this week with always very good results. The best so far is a Chris Isaac's CD. The track "Dancing" sound so damn good that I have been keep on listening it since yesterday. I even took an extended lunch break today and went home just to listen it. Every things seems so perfect in this song, especially the guitar sounds sweet and it images so well in front of me that I feel like extending my hand towards it. May be I am over reacting on my newfound audio bliss, but it seems like it would be very tough to go back to NORMAL speakers.
    -izafar

Goldenear Technology Triton 1 - Benchmark AHB2 - Benchmark LA4 - Auralic Vega - Auralic Aries Mini - Marantz TT-15S1 - Clearaudio Nano
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited August 2004
    Options
    Keep on rockin' Izafar! Glad you are happy.....ahhh another convert for the SDA gang :)
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.