Loving my PSW110!

Options
Dupagirl
Dupagirl Posts: 20
My PSW110 arrived today and I just finished setting it up. Very happy with it. Now my question is, is it a set and forget kinda deal or are there some adjustments I'll need to make for better sound. I have the woofer set at mid volume as per the set up instructions. Forgive my newbyness. Cheers!
Post edited by Dupagirl on

Comments

• Glowrdr
    Glowrdr Posts: 1,103
    edited January 2012
    Options
    It's a set and forget, once you're comfortable with how it sounds. Generally you will want to set up the crossover settings, and tweak the volume a bit to get it where you want. But if you are happy with it, so are we!
    65" Sony X900 (XBR-65X900E)
    Pioneer Elite SC-37
    Polk Monitor 70's (2)
    Polk Monitor 40's (4)
    Polk Monitor CS2
    Polk DSW Pro 660wi
    Oppo BDP-93
    Squeezebox Duet
    Belkin PureAV PF60
    Dish Network "The Hoppa"
  • themuskr
    themuskr Posts: 149
    edited January 2012
    Options
    As with everything in audio, all that matters is what you hear. If it sounds good to you then then you're good. That being said there are ways to make a sub more efficient by finding the correct position in your room. If you search here I'm sure you'll find a bunch of threads on sub placement.

This hobby is about tinkering, so do some reading and have fun trying to get the most out of your speakers.
    2 Mirage OMD-5's (burled Maple)
    1 Mirage OMD-C1
    4 Mirage nanosat MX
    Mirage MM-6
    Def Tech Prosub 100
    Pioneer Elite vsx-40
    BJC cable
  • TECHNOKID
    TECHNOKID Posts: 4,298
    edited January 2012
    Options
    Dupagirl wrote: »
    My PSW110 arrived today and I just finished setting it up. Very happy with it. Now my question is, is it a set and forget kinda deal or are there some adjustments I'll need to make for better sound. I have the woofer set at mid volume as per the set up instructions. Forgive my newbyness. Cheers!
    themuskr wrote: »
    As with everything in audio, all that matters is what you hear. If it sounds good to you then then you're good. That being said there are ways to make a sub more efficient by finding the correct position in your room. If you search here I'm sure you'll find a bunch of threads on sub placement.

This hobby is about tinkering, so do some reading and have fun trying to get the most out of your speakers.
    Welcome to Club Polk Dupagirl! :smile:

Glad you like it, good little sub, I own one and am too happy!

One little trick for potential improvement is the crawl test which will allow for better position of the sub.

Just set your sub. at the listening position and crawl around your room to see where the sound of the sub. is optimal. Move your sub. to that location as it is the best location for optimal bass. If you ever change your listening position, do the same process as the sub. optimal location may also need to be changed...
    DARE TO SOAR:
    “Your attitude, almost always determine your altitude in life” ;)
  • Dupagirl
    edited January 2012
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback everyone, much appreciated. Waiting for my center speaker to arrive this afternoon..... tick tock!
  • psyopbrian
    psyopbrian Posts: 1
    edited January 2012
    Options
    Just got the PSW110 a month ago and love it. The only thing I have issues with from time-to-time is it does not always go into Standby mode when receiver is powered off.
  • Dupagirl
    edited February 2012
    Options
    Set up my center speaker and then ordered the side speakers, they arrived today, this addiction is getting outta hand people.
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,973
    edited February 2012
    Options
    which speakers did you order?
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • ramahon
    ramahon Posts: 1
    edited February 2012
    Options
    psyopbrian wrote: »
    Just got the PSW110 a month ago and love it. The only thing I have issues with from time-to-time is it does not always go into Standby mode when receiver is powered off.

My PSW110 has the same problem sometimes. At least it doesn't go into standby immediately, i've heard the slightest little hum from it right after turning off my Pioneer VSK1019. I goes standby not long after however.

Panasonic P50S30
    Pioneer VSK 1019
    BA A-150 II
    Klipsch VB-15
    Polk PSW110
  • Dupagirl
    edited February 2012
    Options
    I got the CS1ll center speaker and the OMW3 side speakers. Very happy with my set up.
  • Mon40CSMM10
    Mon40CSMM10 Posts: 161
    edited February 2012
    Options
    If I recall correctly, the manual stated that the standby time was around 15 minutes. If the receiver volume is loud enough it would seem it would keep the subwoofer powered on longer since sound is still going to the subwoofer amplifier.

If the hum is a ground loop, I found a solution involving removing the leads and twisting the wire ends of two 75 ohm to 300 ohm adapters together. This was used for an analog cable feed, cable to one end of the paired adapters, another cable to the other end of the adapters and the other end of the other cable to the TV.
  • Dupagirl
    edited February 2012
    Options
    The only hiccup I encountered was the omni mount I bought was the wrong size. I got a 5 and I believe I should have got a 10. Can anyone confirm before I order one?
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,658
    edited February 2012
    Options
    Hello,
    Yes, the 10.0 series OmniMount is the correct one.
    Ken
  • Dupagirl
    edited February 2012
    Options
    Thanks for your response Ken. Appreciate it. Am loving the 5.1 audio so far.... stay tuned.
  • Dupagirl
    edited February 2012
    Options
    .....so the 10.0 series seems to be hard to get, most places seem to be out of stock, so I included a link to another one. Will this one fit the thread in the OMW3?
    http://www.omnimount.com/products/speaker_mounts/audiobasics_series/ab2/
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,658
    edited February 2012
    Options
    Hello DG,
    The correct size is 1/4" x 20 thread. I tried linking to the site you posted but I'm having some server problems this morning.
    Cheers, Ken
  • Dupagirl
    Options
    Okay, not so happy with my Sub woofer now, 3 years down the track. Recently it started making a moaning sound and if I stomped my foot on the floor it would stop. Then it seemed to not be doing it but occasionally it would make a popping sound. The other night the power went out and then came back on an hour later and after about 5 mins it started making crazy noises. It won't stop until I unplug the power and then when i plug it back in, it starts right up again. I tried to attach a video of the sounds but it wouldn't allow it. I did email tech support and was able to attach the vids. Does anyone have these same dramas? Thanks, Lindy.
  • seabeerob213
    seabeerob213 Posts: 1,840
    Options
    Keep that gain no higher than 60 % great sub, but the amp goes to rubbish if you push it,too hard, mine is retiered to the closet.
    2 Channel(work in progress):DAC: Schiit modi 2 uberAmp:Parasound 1200 MK IISub:RBH 1010-SEP Speakers: Monitor 5A peerlesscurrently running some krk rokit 3g since the HK pre outs died and i need to start breaking everything down to move in a couple monthsHeadphones:Source: tidalDAC: schiit modius epre: schiit sysAmp: AQ dragonfly black/ schiit magni2 Cans: Velodyne V-True, Grado SR225i, sennheiser x drop gaming headsetPC:DAC: schiit modius e(over spdif)pre: schiit sysspeakers: prenous eris 5 xtSub: Earthquake Sound MiniMe-P63most of my comments are passing on of info, im a noob, im just trying to help how i can, if im wrong or out of place to comment, dont hesitate to let me know :)"WITH WILLING HEARTS AND SKILLFUL HANDS, THE DIFFICULT WE DO AT ONCE, THE IMPOSSIBLE TAKES A BIT LONGER, WITH COMPASSION FOR OTHERS. WE BUILD - WE FIGHT FOR PEACE WITH FREEDOM"Seabee Memorial, Arlington, VA
  • Dupagirl
    Options
    Thanks guys, certainly sounds like a possession, like a dub party going on inside the box. Sorry about the 2 thread post, I wasn't sure which one to do so I did both. :)