Bottlehead Crack

Comments

• mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    Ground Hog :- )

• mrbiron
    mrbiron Posts: 5,711
    edited May 2015
    Ground Hog, Wood Chuck, Lemur in a fur coat, Cat with Mange....What's the difference?

Wow, this headphone section really took a detour.... :p
    Where’s the KABOOM?!?! There’s supposed to be an Earth shattering KABOOM!!!
  • mhardy6647
    perhaps a Naked Mole Rat which was really unclear on the concept...

PS a little free association is a good thing (isn't it?) ;- )
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,350
    edited May 2015
    mrbiron wrote: »
    That Eros looks like a fun little kit. I think i like soldering to pcb's better than p2p. Cleaner, faster, easier...

I've read some extreme exchanges at audio asylum in reagrds to circuit boards/ground plane design and proponents of p2p. They even have books on the subject.

No doubt, p2p has both a circuit designer and a builder. The builder can make or break the design with poor wiring/routing choices. Just to give props, Aaron is a great builder. Matter of fact I'd use one of his builds without changing anything. His Reduction/Integration is quiet, and I love me a low noise floor.

Now long ago I built a Coronet 2. One thing common with many builders was a system hum, even with impedance to pre amp respected. My ModWright 70dB MC phono stage was quieter than the Hagerman build. And it was a nice build. I wash my boards after assembly with 99% iso. No flux bridge is going to cause a low level circuit bleed over time. I even used the latest grounding scheme, which was to extend the tranny ground to the star ground.

So IMO proper p2p can be as quiet as a well designed circuit board. Time wise, you can build these things pretty quick. As you know, they have pictures in the manual which speeds the process versus looking and connecting per a schematic.

h12.jpg
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • mhardy6647
    The big issue with a PCB, to me, is that there's really no way to shield a signal carrying trace on a PCB... one may always make twisted pairs of a signal carrying wire and a grounded wire to provide some isolation from hum and noise.
  • ALL212
    ALL212 Posts: 1,553
    edited May 2015
    Shipping date for the Cracks is now up to the 12th! One day to go and mine should be on the way.(hopefully it will ship to the correct address and have all the leads the correct length!)

Thanks Rich for the props! I think the secret is in the alcohol level during build.

Finished Frugelhorns today. Review to follow.

Bottlehead kits completed (it might appear that I am a Bottlehead fanatic - I am!)
    Crack
    Reduction
    S.E.X.
    Stereomour
    Quickie
    Quicksand
    Post edited by ALL212 on
    Aaron
    Enabler Extraordinaire
  • sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,556
    I think any of you guys with 580, 600 and 650 Senns are going to love this thing.
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • SCompRacer
    ALL212 wrote: »

Bottlehead kits completed (it might appear that I am a Bottlehead fanatic - I am!)

Hey, maybe add an Eros to that list. ;)
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • ALL212
    I would be honored! B)
    Aaron
    Enabler Extraordinaire
  • eeagle
    eeagle Posts: 226
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    Seduction (mine) and Reduction (his) -- big shootout pending at my house... someday. Now, if you'll excuse me, I have mangy cats to photograph...

17348086951_73cc230a81_b.jpgDSC_3707 by mhardy6647, on Flickr

Budgies, too...

16875213427_01e38c10ec_b.jpgDSC_3452 by mhardy6647, on Flickr

;- )

As a Personal Weather Station Owner PWS (KFLMELBO17) I had to comment on your Budgies shot.

This is a big problem especially when mounted above your rain bucket.

That said wish I had gotten in on the Bottlehead Crack deal...love the Sennheiser sound.
    SDA SRS 1.2
    Adcom GFA-5802
    Adcom GFP-750
    Sony DVP-NS999ES
  • mhardy6647
    After its winter hiatus this year, our rain gauge has decided it doesn't want to talk to the rest of the system... I've tried various and sundry variations on the myriad "re-establish communications" options sans success. I am going to have to do the nuclear option (factory reset)... but I need to download the weather history info... sometime...

:-P
  • ALL212
    My Crack has shipped!
    Aaron
    Enabler Extraordinaire
  • mrbiron
    You must get priority for all your frequent flyer miles with BH. Have to wait till the 17th-Ish. ;)
    Do you finish all of the bases the same way?
  • ALL212
    well...yes - but I cheat. My brother cuts new ones for me from cherry or walnut. I guess my Crack is in oak. This one goes stock. So - I might use some darker stain on it to try and bring out some grain and then at least 4 or more layers of Tung Oil.
    Aaron
    Enabler Extraordinaire
  • ALL212
    edited May 2015
    This isn't stock - obviously.

4fx5qyyekv9j.jpg
    Aaron
    Enabler Extraordinaire
  • mrbiron
    Nice!
    What's the white under the plate at the recess of the wood box?
    Are you going to stick with the stock tubes or do you have ones in mind to immediately swap out?
    What's your SS#?
    Sorry for all the questions :D
  • ALL212
    LOL 111-22-3333. You know what's odd...my phone number is 111-222-3333 and my address is 111 222 Street - zip code is 33333...good luck with that!

This was my brothers first attempt and he cut the recess too deep. That's just some white insulating foam strips to raise it up a bit. Since then I've changed the white out to grey and it's not so obvious.

The purpose of this Crack is for me to get some stock voltages and wave forms from for comparison to my current Crack that is fairly well modded. The last modds made some definite improvements and I'm curious as to what the original is. Once I'm done with the testing I'm hoping to build what I want to call a BAC - Big **** Crack with a top plate of 10" x 12" so that there is room to stuff all the mods in without stacking them so close.

Current tubes are a Tung Sol 5998 in place of the 6080 and an RCA 5963 in place of the 12AU7.

I'll keep the stock tubes in or at least stick with 6080's and 12AU7's for testing.
    Aaron
    Enabler Extraordinaire
  • mrbiron
    LOL 111-22-3333. You know what's odd...my phone number is 111-222-3333 and my address is 111 222 Street - zip code is 33333...good luck with that!

This was my brothers first attempt and he cut the recess too deep. That's just some white insulating foam strips to raise it up a bit. Since then I've changed the white out to grey and it's not so obvious.

The purpose of this Crack is for me to get some stock voltages and wave forms from for comparison to my current Crack that is fairly well modded. The last modds made some definite improvements and I'm curious as to what the original is. Once I'm done with the testing I'm hoping to build what I want to call a BAC - Big **** Crack with a top plate of 10" x 12" so that there is room to stuff all the mods in without stacking them so close.

Current tubes are a Tung Sol 5998 in place of the 6080 and an RCA 5963 in place of the 12AU7.

I'll keep the stock tubes in or at least stick with 6080's and 12AU7's for testing.

Gotcha now!!! Your FICO score is going to tank in the next 3 days. At least i'm giving you a heads up unlike most credit card scammers.

I'd love to see the pics of your big @ss crack. :D Also, are those tubes that you found on your own or did you grab the idea from the BH forums? Those guys seem to really like only a few different tubes and are quite specific. I've never tube rolled so i need a starting point.

At this point, my starting point is STOCK!
  • voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    Aaron, I have a Tung-sol 7236 which was a nice replacement for my 6080 tube in my WOO WA3!
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • ALL212
    edited May 2015
    @mrbiron Build stock and use the stock tubes. Sometimes you'll get an off balance one but until you listen to stock you don't know how much better (or worse) switching tubes around will be. There are a bunch of 12AU7 variants and some very nice 12AU7's. Just make sure you're using 12AU7 variants and don't use those from the other 12a series (12aT's, 12aX's, etc...). I have some favorites but I will never claim to have heard all of them. Bottlehead has a thread on rolling tubes in the Crack - 79 pages to date. Also recently a review of tubes with graphs here: bottlehead.com/smf/index.php?topic=7853.0

@voltz Metal Base 7236? Those are nice!

Video of a recent Crack build - very well done.

bottlehead.com/smf/index.php?topic=7933.0;topicseen
    Aaron
    Enabler Extraordinaire
  • voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    the 7236 is metal base. And It may find a home in the Crack after I try it out with the stock 6080 1st, and I have some Psvane 12au7's & genalex golden lion & Telefunken black diamond.
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • SCompRacer
    This was my brothers first attempt...

I'm hoping he will attempt an Eros enclosure! Not too complicated but I want some artsy arches between the four corners.

Hows come they ship the tape Eros before the phono Eros? They pro tape? ;)

• mhardy6647
    whatever you do -- DO NOT ask a person from Massachusetts* to pronounce the words "artsy arches"!

You will be unable to control your paroxysmal laughter, and might succumb to asphyxiation before properly trained first responders can... umm... respond.

:-P

* Official terminology for a person from Massachusetts: "masshole"
    (and, yes, I am an erstwhile masshole, and darned proud of it as well!)

:- )
  • mrbiron
    Born and raised...i drink the water too! Fortunately, for me at least, i was created in the western sector of the state where we pronounce our "R"s...not "Aw"s.

Awtsee Awchez does not register in google...must be ebonics?

Massholes 4 Life!
  • mhardy6647
    Sounds like a real tattoo opportunity there, paisan! ;- )

As an amusing aside -- some years ago we took a family trip "out west" with my wife's college alumna association (she went to one of them snooty women's college out near a certain Massachusetts mountain from which the school took its name). The tour guide was a woman who, it turned out, was a retired school teacher from Reveah or Meffa or one of the other, similarly quaint and charming suburbs of Bahsten.

To this day, I cannot see photographs of a certain well known National Park (National Monument) located in Utah without hearing her voice - and accent. That place, of course, is called Aaaaaches National Monument.

Utah even has it on their license plates!

Delicate%2B1.jpg

Oh, I say! Have I drifted just a wee tad off topic here latterly? Dreadfully sorry and all that, what?

• SCompRacer
    edited May 2015
    Would it be safe to say cut it out? ;) lol This is kinda pertinent to finishing your BH project.

I like this! It also has a danger aspect. Stick your fingers under there to pick it up while it's on....heck, even off after on.

a1c_zpsad071fea.jpg
  • mrbiron
    ^^^^^Now that right there is a spicey meatball!!
    Now the creative juices are flowin!!

As a side note MH, I've work in both, Reveya and Medfud and i can tell you this, Revere is a terrible place by the sea. (that should be on a t-shirt) The 300 person fight last Sunday night is across the street from the job i'm on now.
  • mhardy6647
    My first employee at my first job in MA was a guy from Revere -- he's a lawyer now...
  • SCompRacer
    edited May 2015
    This is how building on the bench goes here sometimes..."this box? You want to put something in this box???? I want to play!"

jasper_box.jpg
  • mrbiron
    I just stab my cat, *Lloyd Christmas, with the iron. He's so dumb, he comes right back. Best/worst cat i've ever had.

Scomp, are you going to stick with the wood base or, like everything you touch, are you going to take it over the top and turn it into a masterpiece?

*Yes, that is my cat's name. His brother, Harry Dunn, was put down last year. If you are up to snuff on your movie trivia, you'll know where those names came from.