Bottlehead Crack

mrbiron
mrbiron Posts: 5,711
So today is the end of their sale. You can get the Crack ($279) and Speedball upgrade($125) for $299 so i said F-it and ordered one. Do i need it......nope.

I'm just bored.

Anyone try one of these things?
Where’s the KABOOM?!?! There’s supposed to be an Earth shattering KABOOM!!!

Comments

• voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    edited April 2015
    I always wanted to get one, let me know how it goes and how it sounds! I'm too new to soldering or I would have bought one and built one, instead I just bought the Schiit B)
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • mrbiron
    Try one...you dont know if you can solder unless you try.
    With my schedule and the way life is going, i'm looking to use headphones more late at night. I have the Peachtree but as it goes with this hobby, i wanted to try something else.

We'll see.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    edited April 2015
    As Yogi Berra woulda put it, Half the fun in this hobby is changing stuff around 90% of the time.

You know what it looks like at my house.

So... if you're looking for validation, I say, "rock on wit' yo bad thing!" :- )

In all seriousness (well... at least with a tad more seriousness), that sounds like a very nice deal.
  • mrbiron
    This is all your fault Señor Hardy!!
    You are a gateway drug....
  • sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,556
    I've heard the crack and loved it.
    At that price, even better.
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • vcwatkins
    vcwatkins Posts: 1,993
    Love mine. It was fun to build and it beats the Valhalla with Senn HD600. I did not get the Speedball. Enjoyed it so much, I'm thinking I'll do a simple little amp, but not sure whether to do Bottlehead or another design/kit.
    Beach Audio: Rega RP6 (mods) - AT33PTG/II - Parks Budgie SUT - PSAudio NPC * Eversolo DMP-A6 * Schiit Yggy * Joule-Electra LA-100 mkIII * Pass Aleph 30 * MIT S3 * Polk SRS 2.3tl (mods) * PSAudio PPP3
    Beach Study: Pro-Ject Stream Box S2 Ultra & Pre Box S2 * Pass ACA * DH Labs SS Q10 * Brines Folded ML-TQWT RS 40-1354 * PSA Dectet
    Beach Master: WiiM Pro * Dayens Menuetto * Zu Libtec * Dynaudio Audience 50
    Beach Den: Bluesound Powernode 2i * DH Labs SS Q10 * Zu Omen DWII * Richard Gray RGPC
    Town Study: WiiM Pro * Chord Qute (Pardo) * Elekit TU-8600 * MIT S3 * Revel M22 * Beyer DT-990 * Shunyata Hydra 2
    Town Den: Music Hall mm5.1se - Denon DL-103r - Jolida JD9ii (mods) * WiiM Pro * Cary xCiter * Rogue 99 Magnum * Schiit Aegir * MIT S3 * Polk SRS 1.2tl (mods) * Dectet * Bottlehead Crack - Senn 600
    Town Porch: WiiM Pro Plus * Sunfire Sig II * Canare 4S11 * Magnepan 1.6 * Dectet
  • mrbiron
    I only have the Philips Fidelio X2 but might pick up the HD600 since everyone raves about the pairing. I'm going to build the initial kit first, spend some time with it, then install the upgrade.

Keeps me outs jail right.....
  • voltz
    vcwatkins wrote: »
    Love mine. It was fun to build and it beats the Valhalla with Senn HD600. I did not get the Speedball. Enjoyed it so much, I'm thinking I'll do a simple little amp, but not sure whether to do Bottlehead or another design/kit.

Well I have the Valhalla 2 and a Senn HD650 and you like it better? hmm you and the Biron have gone and talked me in to something I hope I can handle....I went ahead and ordered one... hopefully I donut mess it up :blush:

2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

• mrbiron
    Were you able to get the deal with the speedball upgrade for $20?
  • voltz
    yes! just made it I think ...was close :p

• mrbiron
    Excellent news!
    Now we have to figure out how we are going to finish it. I was looking up different ideas and came across this guys website. Looks nice.

http://diy.koenigs.dk/2014/02/20/6/
  • voltz
    NICE!!! Thanks, glad you found that.

• ALL212
    ALL212 Posts: 1,553
    I have had one for a couple of years now and just bought another under that special they ran. Mine has been upgraded and modded - nothing too crazy - and I do have the speedball. I run Senn HD650's on it and at AXPONA picked up a pair of MrSpeakers Alpha Primes.

Wonderful headphone amp! You done good snagging one on sale.
    Aaron
    Enabler Extraordinaire
  • ALL212
    Had to wait for the angst over the changes to go by....then forgot...then realized I hadn't been here.

Voltz - Bottlehead forum is a wonderful place to get ideas from and ask questions. Everyone there is very helpful.
    Aaron
    Enabler Extraordinaire
  • voltz
    edited April 2015
    cool thanks :) I have look at their forum but it was sometime ago, I'll check it out again.
    I have some Senn HD650's which should go nice with it.

• mhardy6647
    Bottlehead folks be good folks -- both the company and the customers, IME.

For mrbiron's benefit -- I have spun a couple of sides with a certain... other Bottlehead module ;- ) but I am not ready to offer comment yet (other than the fact that it certainly doesn't sound bad to me!).

• mrbiron
    Yet it doesn't sound Bugle2-ish either....

Voltz, the shipping update only shows shipped through 4/9. We might have another week before they ship our shi*.
  • mhardy6647
    Speaking of the Bottlehead Crack.

I learned today (well -- I decided today) that the best possible way to take a photo of a Bottlehead Crack would be with a vintage Agfa Clack :- )

AgfaClack.jpg

either that, or it should have been the Official Photographic Instrument of Car Talk (or as they say in Cambridge, our fair city, Cah tahk).
  • mrbiron
    Mr H.....you going to clack my crack? Dirtiest thing i've said (typed) all day...

BH's website still shows no update on the shipping status of our order #Voltz. My patience is drawing thin :*
  • ALL212
    It can take a bit for them to get the kit parts together and package them. Draw your patience with a thick sharpy for awhile. It's worth the wait!
    Aaron
    Enabler Extraordinaire
  • mrbiron
    This is my 2nd BH order so i know of their fabled wait time :D
    3-4 weeks is the norm.
  • voltz
    I already got mine! you havent got yours ?

just kidding! :p

• mrbiron
    Actually, they sent me mine AND yours. I'm currently cutting your leads so short you won't be able to solder to anything.....

Not kidding :D:D:D
  • mhardy6647
    there is no shame in splicing wires...
  • mrbiron
    edited May 2015
    Hey....where is my comparison with the 2 BH products you currently have in house. I think a couple weeks is long enough! Hop too it.

Less time taking pictures of ugly cats and more time typing!!
  • mhardy6647
    .. and I am working on the yard, too!
    Point well taken though -- it's supposed to be rainy Saturday... so Saturday may be a good hifi day!
  • ALL212
    What BH products are you two whining about? Now I'm curious as I've a couple of them also.
    Aaron
    Enabler Extraordinaire
  • mhardy6647
    Seduction (mine) and Reduction (his) -- big shootout pending at my house... someday. Now, if you'll excuse me, I have mangy cats to photograph...

17348086951_73cc230a81_b.jpgDSC_3707 by mhardy6647, on Flickr

Budgies, too...

16875213427_01e38c10ec_b.jpgDSC_3452 by mhardy6647, on Flickr

;- )
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,350
    edited May 2015
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    Seduction (mine) and Reduction (his) -- big shootout pending at my house... someday. )

I am in countdown for an Eros! Aarons Reduction/Integration upgrade sounds wunnerful here with my diy SUT.

Man, you got some strange looking cats there! ;) Looks like a shaggy Lemur in a fur coat....lol
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • mrbiron
    Now, if you'll excuse me, I have mangy cats to photograph...

17348086951_73cc230a81_b.jpgDSC_3707 by mhardy6647, on Flickr
    ;- )

I see the tables have turned...i just put down my water before opening this and if i had hesitated for even 2 more seconds, my screen would need wiping. LOL!!...That picture is F'n hilarious!!
    ALL212 wrote: »
    What BH products are you two whining about? Now I'm curious as I've a couple of them also.
    Which ones do you have? I really liked putting together the reduction kit (in integration upgrade....yet) and look forward to the Crack. I really want to put together something else from them but don't want to go too deep down the tube hole.

SCompRacer wrote: »
    Seduction (mine) and Reduction (his) -- big shootout pending at my house... someday. )

I am in countdown for an Eros! Aarons Reduction/Integration upgrade sounds wunnerful here with my diy SUT.

Man, you got some strange looking cats there! ;) Looks like a shaggy Lemur in a fur coat....lol
    That Eros looks like a fun little kit. I think i like soldering to pcb's better than p2p. Cleaner, faster, easier...