Would you buy a speaker with a small flaw?

Options
Joey_V
Joey_V Posts: 8,519
I have seen what could be perhaps my dream speakers. A pair of graphite SF Stradivari have finally found its way on audiogon. The chances of a graphite Strad are near zero as I have been spying the site for a year and this is the first.

It has a small ding to the rear top, very small he says.... would it be enough to sway you against a reference level, end of the line speaker??

Link:
Strads in Graphite

Man.. so sick.
Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound

Comments

• dragon1952
    dragon1952 Posts: 4,894
    Options
    I would not let that deter me. It looks pretty trivial and in my experience dings like that appear worse through the camera lens. Regardless, I bet an expert could touch that up so that it would be barely noticeable, if it means that much.
    2 channel - Willsenton R8 tube integrated, Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC, audio optimized NUC7i5, Windows 10 Pro/JRiver MC29/Fidelizer Plus 8.7 w/LPS and external SSD drive, PS Audio PerfectWave P3 regenerator, KEF R3 speakers, Rythmik F12SE subwoofer, Inakustik Reference USB cable, Gabriel Gold IC's, Morrow Audio SP5 speaker cables. Computer - Windows 10/JRiver, Schiit Magni 3+/Modi 3+, Fostex PMO.4n monitors, Sennheiser HD600 headphones
  • WLDock
    WLDock Posts: 3,073
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Wow, is it that serious? Would you pay $10k-$15k more for new..or to have them shipped back and repaired? I'm sure a local wood craftsman could fill it in to make it less noticeable for hundreds or less. $45k msrp speakers!!!!!

Let's keep perspective.....are you a collector or a user/listener?

Some of the most beautiful instruments used to make the most beautiful music that we all love are not perfect in appearance. If one wants instruments or speakers that are perfect in appearance .....then buy them new and leave them in the package unused! Choices?

inside%20stradivarius%20best.jpg

Pay homage by letting the music play!
    2.2 Office Setup | LG 29UB55 21:9 UltraWide | HP Probook 630 G8 | Dell Latitude | Cabasse Stream Amp 100 | Boston Acoustics VS 240 | AUDIORAX Desk Stands | Mirage Omni S8 sub1 | Mirage Omni S8 Sub2
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Options
    If the price is right a small cosmetic flaw isn't a deal breaker. In fact, it probably helps lower the price.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • pumpkinman
    pumpkinman Posts: 9,520
    Options
    If this is your dream speaker go for it. Most furniture stores have a guy who can make small imperfections disappear. There's a local man here who is a marvel.

P-man
    lmivdewpnb28.jpg

Because I am The Pumpkinking

A Kind Word Is An Easy Gift To Give
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 1,394
    Options
    You heal fast my friend! Haha

It those were my end of game speakers and somehow convinced myself that it were true. I would fly out there to see it in person. Some things require in person interactions and this is one of them.

You can do it!

Halen
  • ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    Options
    Joey, for that deep of a discount, I would be all over them if it was me (and they were Magicos).

It isn't like it is a gouge on the face of a driver or the front baffle that you will see as you sit there and listen.

But then, I am not *that* picky as I typically am willing to overlook cosmetic damage that does not effect the performance.
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • marvda1
    marvda1 Posts: 4,871
    edited April 2015
    Options
    now, is the rest of your equipment up to the task?
    i would go straight for vitus.
    http://app.audiogon.com/listings/solid-state-vitus-audio-sm-102-signature-monaural-amplifier-2015-04-14-amplifiers-011547
    Amplifiers: Norma IPA 140, MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800
    Preamp: deHavilland Ultraverve 3
    Dac: Sonnet Morpheus 2, Musical Paradise mp-d2 mkIII
    Transport: Jay's Audio CDT2 mk2, Lumin U1 mini
    Speakers: Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II
    Speaker Cables: Organic Audio Organic Reference 2
    Interconnects: Argento Organic Reference 2, Argento Organic 2
    Power Cables: Argento Organic Reference, Synergistic Research Foundation 10 and 12 ga.
    Puritan PSM156
  • Joey_V
    Options
    Ok can someone ban Marvin from participating in this thread from now on???
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • Joey_V
    Options
    I'm in talks with him. I think if the price is right and the shipping via freight is to my liking, I will just have to run this by the wife when she's not in a mean mood (which is almost never)...

... Then 802 diamonds and Strads in the hooooouze!!
  • WagnerRC
    WagnerRC Posts: 2,139
    Options
    Hey it's only money. You can always make more iss my motto.
  • ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,649
    Options
    marvda1 wrote: »
    now, is the rest of your equipment up to the task?
    i would go straight for vitus.
    http://app.audiogon.com/listings/solid-state-vitus-audio-sm-102-signature-monaural-amplifier-2015-04-14-amplifiers-011547

Holy crap that's more than my 1st house...

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    Joey_V wrote: »
    Ok can someone ban Marvin from participating in this thread from now on???

I will try to ban him this Firday and Saturday.
  • Joey_V
    Options
    WagnerRC wrote: »
    Hey it's only money. You can always make more iss my motto.

baller....
  • Joey_V
    Options
    halenhoang wrote: »

It those were my end of game speakers and somehow convinced myself that it were true. I would fly out there to see it in person. Some things require in person interactions and this is one of them.

You can do it!

Halen

Halen,

My healing abilities have not yet healed. Just a partial heal...
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    halenhoang wrote: »

You can do it!

Halen

Halen,

My healing abilities have not yet healed. Just a partial heal...

Oh yes, you still have amps and DAC's to consider! Lol.

Halen

• teekay0007
    teekay0007 Posts: 2,289
    Options
    You know that ol' saying, "Don't be dickin' around with a wrench near your speakers...you might put an ever so slight ding in the way back tops of them!"? Well, I paid no nevermind to it and this is what happened to them. Even though they were just my garage speakers, I could no longer even look at them. Made me sick! I ended up giving them - he had to pay shipping - to a pal in Milwaukee a while back. I hope he gives you a nice price, Joey, considering what they cost him! B)
  • dragon1952
    dragon1952 Posts: 4,894
    Options
    I'm in talks with him. I think if the price is right and the shipping via freight is to my liking, I will just have to run this by the wife when she's not in a mean mood (which is almost never)...

... Then 802 diamonds and Strads in the hooooouze!!

Ha ha....run it by the wife eh? Geez, I'm still hiding my $1600 Martin Logans from my wife....ha ha :^ (

2 channel - Willsenton R8 tube integrated, Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC, audio optimized NUC7i5, Windows 10 Pro/JRiver MC29/Fidelizer Plus 8.7 w/LPS and external SSD drive, PS Audio PerfectWave P3 regenerator, KEF R3 speakers, Rythmik F12SE subwoofer, Inakustik Reference USB cable, Gabriel Gold IC's, Morrow Audio SP5 speaker cables. Computer - Windows 10/JRiver, Schiit Magni 3+/Modi 3+, Fostex PMO.4n monitors, Sennheiser HD600 headphones
  • MrBuhl
    MrBuhl Posts: 2,419
    Options
    IF i had the scrap, I wouldn't hesitate, but I've always been a cheapskate "bargain" hunter I guess. A small imperfection that equates to big savings in $$ and no change to sound is a winner in my book!
    VA HT HK AVR20II, Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD, Polk Audio RC80i / Polk Audio CSi3, 60" Panasonic Plasma, Nordost / Signal Cable A2 / Wireworld / Pangea / Magic Power
    VA 2 Channel Focal Electra 926 speakers, Pass Labs X150.5 Amp, Eastern Electric MiniMax Preamp (Tutay mods), Eastern Electric Minimax CDP (Scott Nixon mods), Music Hall mmf 5.1 Turntable, Parks Audio Budgie Phono Pre , Audioengine B1 streamer, MIT S3 IC's / MIT Shotgun S3 Speaker Cables / PS Audio power cables
    Noggin Schiit Valhalla, Pangea, Phillips Fidelio X1, Polk UF8000

Polk SDA1c modded
    Polk CRS+ 4.1TL modded (need veneer)
    Polk SDA2BTL (fully modded)
    A/L 1000VA Dreadnought Canare 4s11 SDA cable
    SACD Marantz DV8300
    Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD
    Yamaha YP-D6
    Soundcraftsmen PCR800
    Audible Illusions L1 Preamp
    Vincent MFA based Cocci Tube Preamp
    Pho-700 Phono Pre
    Signal Cable Silver Resolution IC's

• cnh
    cnh Posts: 13,284
    edited April 2015
    Options
    And I'm only paying for my daughter's room and board next year-well, maybe a bit more than that. lol

At that price what you save you can use for a year or so of sessions with your favorite Freudian to help you get over that ANAL complex! lol

All kidding aside. If you have the cash, just DO IT!
    Post edited by cnh on
    Currently orbiting Bowie's Blackstar.!

Polk Lsi-7s, Def Tech 8" sub, HK 3490, HK HD 990 (CDP/DAC), AKG Q701s
    [sig. changed on a monthly basis as I rotate in and out of my stash]
  • Joey_V
    Options
    Gonna talk to guy over the phone today. How to break this to the wife...
  • vmaxer
    vmaxer Posts: 5,116
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Gonna talk to guy over the phone today. How to break this to the wife...

Tell her what you saved, not what you spent. B)

My wife does that to me......I tell her to buy enough to save a million dollars and give it to me. >:)
    Pio Elete Pro 520
    Panamax 5400-EX
    Sunfire TGP 5
    Micro Seiki DD-40 - Lyra-Dorian and Denon DL-160
    PS Audio GCPH phono pre
    Sunfire CG 200 X 5
    Sunfire CG Sig 405 X 5
    OPPO BDP-83 SE
    SDA SRS 1.2TL Sonicaps and Mills
    Ctr CS1000p
    Sur - FX1000 x 4
    SUB - SVS PB2-Plus

Workkout room:
    Sony Bravia XBR- 32-Inch 1080p
    Onkyo TX-DS898
    GFA 555
    Yamaha DVD-S1800BL/SACD
    Ft - SDA 1C

Not being used:
    RTi 38's -4
    RT55i's - 2
    RT25i's -2, using other 2 in shop
    LSI 15's
    CSi40
    PSW 404
  • Joey_V
    edited April 2015
    Options
    She knows the bank account front and back. I used to have a stash in the safety but I don't know how much I have left there.

18k is what I want. He wants 19k. I called him but no answer so maybe later.

I told the wife about it. She said yes only if I sell the 802 but I want to keep it. So she knew how to hit me where it hurts.

She wants 9k in addition to go to her, she has some plans if I buy the strads.

Oh my... Now I'm hesitant.
  • Joey_V
    edited April 2015
    Options
    6disy4pub6za.jpg
    In the meantime... My baby and I enjoy the PM1...

Listening to Furious 7 soundtrack.

RIP Paul Walker.
  • vmaxer
    Options
    Awesome, enjoy. Tomorrow he will be grown.
    Pio Elete Pro 520
    Panamax 5400-EX
    Sunfire TGP 5
    PS Audio GCPH phono pre
    Sunfire CG 200 X 5
    Sunfire CG Sig 405 X 5
    OPPO BDP-83 SE
    Ctr CS1000p
    Sur - FX1000 x 4
    SUB - SVS PB2-Plus

Workkout room:
    Onkyo TX-DS898
    GFA 555
    Yamaha DVD-S1800BL/SACD
    Ft - SDA 1C

Not being used:
    RTi 38's -4
    RT55i's - 2
    LSI 15's
    CSi40
    PSW 404
  • Joey_V
    Options
    DSkip wrote: »
    vmaxer wrote: »
    Awesome, enjoy. Tomorrow he will be grown.

Joey will never be grown. Just bigger and blingier. :o

Hahaha...skip knows me too well...
  • Joey_V
    Options
    Are my pics still sideways??
  • vmaxer
    Options
    Are my pics still sideways??

Upside down, sideways and reversed.
    Pio Elete Pro 520
    Panamax 5400-EX
    Sunfire TGP 5
    PS Audio GCPH phono pre
    Sunfire CG 200 X 5
    Sunfire CG Sig 405 X 5
    OPPO BDP-83 SE
    Ctr CS1000p
    Sur - FX1000 x 4
    SUB - SVS PB2-Plus

Workkout room:
    Onkyo TX-DS898
    GFA 555
    Yamaha DVD-S1800BL/SACD
    Ft - SDA 1C

Not being used:
    RTi 38's -4
    RT55i's - 2
    LSI 15's
    CSi40
    PSW 404
  • WLDock
    WLDock Posts: 3,073
    Options
    ....I told the wife about it. She said yes only if I sell the 802 but I want to keep it.
    I thought the 802's were prelude to the end game 800's or the Strads? Man sell those 802's and go get your Strads. You've been talking about those....

2.2 Office Setup | LG 29UB55 21:9 UltraWide | HP Probook 630 G8 | Dell Latitude | Cabasse Stream Amp 100 | Boston Acoustics VS 240 | AUDIORAX Desk Stands | Mirage Omni S8 sub1 | Mirage Omni S8 Sub2
  • ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    Options
    WLDock wrote: »
    I thought the 802's were prelude to the end game 800's or the Strads? Man sell those 802's and go get your Strads. You've been talking about those....

QFT!!! Do it Joey. Let me live vicariously through your spending! (I tried spending all of PFB's money but he stopped sending it to me...guess he got tired of my starving Nigerian Prince routine)

"Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • Joey_V
    Options
    WLDock wrote: »
    ....I told the wife about it. She said yes only if I sell the 802 but I want to keep it.

Yeah.. but I can't stop but think I might regret the sale of the 802...

Seems like me and the guy are stalemate at 18500