Did Polk Screw Me?

MtnXfreeride
MtnXfreeride Posts: 3
edited February 2015 in Customer Service
I bought a PSW125 back on 11/14/2011. In February of 2012 the amplifier stopped working so I sent it to Polk and they sent me a replacement on 2/07/12. My first impression after installing the board was that the sub wasn't as loud as before, but I usually keep it pretty low at half volume so I thought nothing more about it unless I was in a blast music kinda mood. I honestly couldnt tell for sure it wasn't as loud since I hadn't turned it up all the way in the 3 months I owned it because of where I lived.

A few days ago I was in a "blast music" kinda mood and turned my system up (sub at half gain still) and there was no booming so I checked out the sub and sure enough the amp isn't working again.

I called Polk, its out of warranty and will cost something around $125+shipping to replace. No thanks.. it'll just break again if it broke 2x already.

I figured I may as well take the amp out and look at it for obvious issues today and what I noticed after pulling the plate off and googling some things is that my board looks like its from a PSW110 not a PSW125. The piece of plastic its mounted on says PSW125V2 but I cannot find a single picture of a PSW125 board online that only has 1 large capacitor... and every single PSW110 picture Im finding online has 1 large capacitor and everything lines up perfectly with my board.

Can anyone help me verify what this amp board is?

cddvcc3uxav1.jpg
jui9ioiwcs30.jpg

Im seeing this guy with a PSW125 now, which also has at least 2 large capacitors which looks like every other PSW125 board Ive come across:
http://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/121147/psw125-where-is-the-fuse-see-pix

TSX550t fronts biamped, CS10 Center, TSI200 Rears, PSW125 Bass.
4x Aura Bass Shakers - Yahama RX-V671 - 50" LG Plasma 1080p with backlighting kit. HTPC hookup to stream movies in HD from home server.

Comments

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    Can't help ya there, but the sub is out of warranty so not much you can do now. Not worth fixing imho as these subs sell used in working condition all day for under 100 bucks on most any craigslist.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • MtnXfreeride
    MtnXfreeride Posts: 3
    edited February 2015
    tonyb wrote: »
    Can't help ya there, but the sub is out of warranty so not much you can do now. Not worth fixing imho as these subs sell used in working condition all day for under 100 bucks on most any craigslist.
    Its just frustrating that I only had the sub I paid for ~3 months before getting an inferior product...
    I am hoping someone can confirm this and Ill ask Polk if they will make it right.
    4x Aura Bass Shakers - Yahama RX-V671 - 50" LG Plasma 1080p with backlighting kit. HTPC hookup to stream movies in HD from home server.
  • Hello,
    Welcome to Polk's forum, I'm sorry you had a problem with your subwoofer. I've sent a copy of this thread to Polk's CS manager and asked if there was something that could be done for you.
    Regards, Ken
  • Hello,
    Welcome to Polk's forum, I'm sorry you had a problem with your subwoofer. I've sent a copy of this thread to Polk's CS manager and asked if there was something that could be done for you.
    Regards, Ken
    Thanks Ken for helping out. Best to you

Joey Ward
  • Thanks for looking into this Ken.
  • Paper work is your friend, you should have held on to it. Do you still have you packing slip? Does the packing slip match the amp you have? Why didn't you check your paper work in 2012 when it didn't sound right? Sounds like you screwed yourself when you went blast mode.

That being said, if it was my company and my tracking information confirmed we send the wrong amp I would certainly take care of you. Even if the warranty expired.
    HT- Samsung PN50B860/Integra DTR 30.3/Rt55 Fronts
    Rt35i Surrounds/Cs1000p Center/SVS BP1000 Sub
    2CH - B&K MC-101 pre/B&K EX-442 amp/NAD 2400 amp
    Polk SDA1C, Polk Monitor 7, New Large Advents and Polk RTA 8T
    BR - Yamaha CR800/Polk monitor 5
  • Buy it nice or buy it twice?

Perhaps time to upgrade to a higher quality subwoofer with a better warranty?
    Up
    LSi15 LSiC - RX-V3000

Down
    LSiM707 - 706c - 702f/x - Dual HSU VTF-15H Mk2
    Parasound HCA-3500 - HCA-2003A - Marantz SR7005
    Sim2 D60 - Dragonfly 106" Panny 500

• The psw110 back plate shows 1.25a and the psw125 is labeled 1.6a...right near power cable connection. Maybe that helps.
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
  • polkfarmboy
    polkfarmboy Posts: 5,703
    I had a power problem in my last place I fried 4 ps3's ,2 xbox 360s and a plasma tv. I got an electrician in and he was dumb and replaced a few burnt wires and outlets. Everytime I plugged in my panamax the fusebox would be making noises like it was bringin Frankenstein's monster to life with a fifty fifty chance of trippin the breakerbox.
  • teekay0007
    teekay0007 Posts: 2,289
    edited February 2015
    I had a power problem in my last place I fried 4 ps3's ,2 xbox 360s and a plasma tv. I got an electrician in and he was dumb...

:/

• polrbehr
    polrbehr Posts: 2,825
    edited February 2015
    teekay0007 wrote: »
    I had a power problem in my last place I fried 4 ps3's ,2 xbox 360s and a plasma tv. I got an electrician in and he was dumb...

:/

I see a Christmas song in there somewhere...

So, are you willing to put forth a little effort or are you happy sitting in your skeptical poo pile?

http://audiomilitia.proboards.com/
  • tonyb
    or a country music song.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    DSkip wrote: »
    They wouldn't let him on the stage with those skinny jeans. In fact, he may not even make it through the back door.

what-you-did-there-i-see-it.thumbnail.jpg

"Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • Hermitism
    Hermitism Posts: 4,192
    I bought a PSW125 back on 11/14/2011. In February of 2012 the amplifier stopped working so I sent it to Polk and they sent me a replacement on 2/07/12. My first impression after installing the board was that the sub wasn't as loud as before, but I usually keep it pretty low at half volume so I thought nothing more about it unless I was in a blast music kinda mood. I honestly couldnt tell for sure it wasn't as loud since I hadn't turned it up all the way in the 3 months I owned it because of where I lived.

A few days ago I was in a "blast music" kinda mood and turned my system up (sub at half gain still) and there was no booming so I checked out the sub and sure enough the amp isn't working again.

I called Polk, its out of warranty and will cost something around $125+shipping to replace. No thanks.. it'll just break again if it broke 2x already.

I figured I may as well take the amp out and look at it for obvious issues today and what I noticed after pulling the plate off and googling some things is that my board looks like its from a PSW110 not a PSW125. The piece of plastic its mounted on says PSW125V2 but I cannot find a single picture of a PSW125 board online that only has 1 large capacitor... and every single PSW110 picture Im finding online has 1 large capacitor and everything lines up perfectly with my board.

Can anyone help me verify what this amp board is?
    Hello, I'm not sure if my info will help, but I purchased a new PSW125 in 2008. The volume knob was never pushed past approx. 45%. A couple months out of warranty the amp went out and I purchased a new one through Polk. The amp that arrived didn't look the same, the screw holes didn't match up perfectly, the thick IEC power cords was replaced with a thin dinky cord with a C7 connection, and the seperate LFE input was missing. Upon hooking it up, I immediately noticed a lack of power compared to the original. I contacted Polk, but they assured me that it was the correct part and that they had changed amps for that model.

I dug up a couple pics I took back then. Here is a pic of the original from the rear:
    vrea5vrvo778.jpg

And here is a pic of both together:
    wh3tf8z6mbhu.jpg

Last year I replaced my thin power cord to my AVR with a thick Pangea cord and immediately noticed more bass in my front speakers. Perhaps the lack of power we both experienced is due to the dinky power cord they now use. I'm sure someone here will have input on that theory, as I'm no expert. But I definitely experienced a lack of power or loudness as you did. Did your replacement amp look the same as the original?
  • Are those spring clips I'm looking at ?!
    Sal Palooza
  • tonyb
    Are those spring clips I'm looking at ?!

China....lol

HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Uhh, yeah? They're cheap low end subs. :p
    Up
    LSi15 LSiC - RX-V3000

Down

• drselect
    drselect Posts: 664
    Save your time, effort and money up and go buy a sub from a different manufacture.
  • Polk is going to provide a new replacement bass amplifier at no charge. I've asked the OP to contact Kim Jasper, Polk's CS manager.
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    Way to go Polk!
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • tonyb
    Man, I can't say "c r a p" on this forum and he gets a new sub amp ? Somethin' ain't right...lol.

Good for you OP, hope the new one works out.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • drselect
    drselect Posts: 664
    DSkip wrote: »
    Polk is going to provide a new replacement bass amplifier at no charge. I've asked the OP to contact Kim Jasper, Polk's CS manager.

...and this is why you buy Polk products. Even under new ownership, things get done that should.
    Didn't quite work out this way in my situation. Thus, my recommendation. Also will be interested in what type of amp that will be sent to him.
  • Wow. Amazing. Way to go Polk!
    Up
    LSi15 LSiC - RX-V3000

Down

• Polk isn't any different than any other company that has had issues with their plate amps. They just don't build in longevity within their targeted price point, and since the box and drivers tend to outlast the plate amps, they find themselves looking for alternatives that will physically fit the hole once the first run of amps stock is gone. This a universal problem with powered subs and powered speakers within the pro audio realm too!

Glad they are taking care of you.........
    HT Optoma HD25 LV on 80" DIY Screen, Anthem MRX 300 Receiver, Pioneer Elite BDP 51FD Polk CS350LS, Polk SDA1C, Polk FX300, Polk RT55, Dual EBS Adire Shiva 320watt tuned to 17hz, ICs-DIY Twisted Prs, Speaker-Raymond Cable

2 Channel Thorens TD 318 Grado ZF1, SACD/CD Marantz 8260, Soundstream/Krell DAC1, Audio Mirror PP1, Odyssey Stratos, ADS L-1290, ICs-DIY Twisted , Speaker-Raymond Cable
  • I had the same issue with the Polk-PSW125. I rarely used it and it mostly was powered off because of having small kids and lots of kid shows. One day I turned it on and got no lights at all. I called Polk when I had time and they sent a new board. The new board was noticeably different and neither nob turned easily. Again, the sub was rarely used. Within a few months when called on, it failed again. By the time I called, they told me the sub was under warranty, but the amp was no longer. I may of gotten a week total use out of this, and now it is a giant paper weight. I thought about trying to get another board, but do not trust that too would not give up on me.
  • Hello,
    I'll ask a friend, at Polk, to contact you via email.
  • tonyb
    Did Polk Screw Me?

Did they buy ya a drink first ? :)
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    He doesn't look the type.

c2gtssa027wd.jpg
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,307
    Oh yes he does. Look how rigid he looks.
    I disabled signatures.
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    edited September 2018
    That looks like Jesse around the time he started the Vampire Rebellion.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson