San Diego Gathering

Comments

• dpowell
    dpowell Posts: 3,050
    aboroth00 wrote: »
    If people are interested, I can swing by and bring a pair of Revel Gem's and Revel M20's. Not sure whether I wanna bring the big SS ATI AT2000 along with them though but if anyone really wants to hear it I can heave it into my trunk.

You are welcome to come and bring what you'd like. I have not heard any of those speakers.

We may have to make a schedule so that we get through all of the gear people are bringing!....or just keep going until midnight. :smiley:
    ____________________________________________________________ polkaudio Fully Modded SDA SRS 1.2TLs + Dreadnaught, LSiM706c, 4 X Polk Surrounds + 4 X ATMOS SVS PB13 Ultra x 2Pass Labs X1, Marantz 7704, Sunfire Signature Cinema Grande 400, ADCOM 7807, Panasonic UB420, Sony SCD-C333ES, EPSON Pro Cinema 6050
  • dpowell wrote: »
    Current list of people attending:

Doug
    John
    Erik
    Cody
    seabeerob213
    audiocr381ve

Did I miss anyone?

I'm going to have to miss out on this one guys. I'll bring an extra 12 pack next time to make up for it. It's work related and I'm bummed! Had so much to bring too.
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    You can bring that 12 pack by my place... :D

I am looking to have everyone to my place either the end of March or end of April.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • You can bring that 12 pack by my place... :D

I am looking to have everyone to my place either the end of March or end of April.

:D Keep me posted! I've been drooling over your mono's as well as the new Pass pre <3
  • dpowell
    Hi everyone, can you respond and let me know you are "in" for the gathering? I will send out logistics, etc. via PM.
    ____________________________________________________________ polkaudio Fully Modded SDA SRS 1.2TLs + Dreadnaught, LSiM706c, 4 X Polk Surrounds + 4 X ATMOS SVS PB13 Ultra x 2Pass Labs X1, Marantz 7704, Sunfire Signature Cinema Grande 400, ADCOM 7807, Panasonic UB420, Sony SCD-C333ES, EPSON Pro Cinema 6050
  • nooshinjohn
    in
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • Erik Tracy
    Erik Tracy Posts: 4,673
    In!

H9: If you don't trust what you are hearing, then maybe you need to be less invested in a hobby which all the pleasure comes from listening to music.
  • dpowell
    OK, that makes it 3 plus myself at this point. Waiting to hear back from two others.
  • dpowell
    I guess not as much interest on the west coast as back east in this sort of thing. I think the most I've had at the house is 6 or 7 for previous gatherings.
  • nooshinjohn
    My place is built to entertain. I can accommodate 15 comfortably in the living room, another dozen in the man cave, and overflow into the back yard for at least another 30.

West Coast PF @ my place will be announced soon...

• aboroth00
    aboroth00 Posts: 1,103
    I'm in. I'm bringing some bookshelves. Is anyone bringing stands or does Doug have stands? I can provide my own but it's sort of a pain to lug around sand loaded stands.
    2Ch Tube Audio Convert
  • dpowell
    Don't worry about stands. there is a shelf under my screen that when sitting is right at ear level. It's wide enough to space bookshelves 8 feet apart. glad you can make it!
  • aboroth00
    dpowell wrote: »
    Don't worry about stands. there is a shelf under my screen that when sitting is right at ear level. It's wide enough to space bookshelves 8 feet apart. glad you can make it!

The Revel Gem's have a rear firing tweeter so I just want to make sure they have room to breathe and you guys get the best experience possible ;).

2Ch Tube Audio Convert
  • dpowell
    Logistics information has gone out via PM to those who have confirmed. seabeerob213, if you end up being able to make it let me know and I'll send you the info.
  • dpowell
    aboroth00 wrote: »
    dpowell wrote: »

The Revel Gem's have a rear firing tweeter so I just want to make sure they have room to breathe and you guys get the best experience possible ;).

Got it. How much room do they need? The shelf is about 20 inches deep. We can also set them on a table.
  • aboroth00
    The speakers are about 17" deep so they'll probably need a stand. I'll just bring the stands. It's not too big of a hassle.
    2Ch Tube Audio Convert
  • codyc1ark
    codyc1ark Posts: 2,530
    Good time today gents, it's always great to put real faces to screen names. I'm fairly certain we all suffered some hearing damage from the ACDC performance. Awesome gear to spin, next time I get to a gathering I'll bring my reference track, I'm sure it would have blown me away on all the setups we heard.
  • dpowell
    Cody, really glad you could make it over for the gathering! I agree, we heard some fantastic setups today. John's Carver statement monoblocks and Pass Labs pre are simply stunning and made Erik's B&W's, Will's Revel Gems and my 2.3TL's sound like entirely new speakers. I finally heard my speakers the way they were meant to sound. Upgrades are definitely in my future.

It was a great group of guys, great music and an overall fantastic day.

h5g7efn85smr.jpg
    r2wkbkweyxpk.jpg
    2oe875po3yrf.jpg
    wjfy1c8rdwy4.jpg
    zq0siqngy9ci.jpg
    bwptkocq943y.jpg
    djuqja9ay92i.jpg
    3cjyb5xamkr4.jpg

• BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Nice setup. Are those John's DIY amps? I would be scared to move tube gear. :)

No shoes allowed inside? I think I am going to implement that policy when I move to my Eastern Shore house. Hopefully, it will last more than a week.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • dpowell
    Yes, those are his DIY amps. I can't describe how phenomenal they sound.

It wasn't a shoes off policy for the guests but it seemed to trend that way. My family has a no 'barn' shoes in the house policy. :smile:
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
    Can we get some names with faces por favor...
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • codyc1ark
    I'll add this, pictures cannot do those amps justice. It was an honor to me to see them in person. They sound much better than they look, if you would believe that. I'm surprised that they aren't doing an extended stay. ;)>:);)
  • codyc1ark
    Can we get some names with faces por favor...

I'm NOT the guy in the Iowa shirt....
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,056
    Hey ya been in So Cal a couple of days and already speak some Spanish. I bet your having second thoughts about returning to the homeland for a couple of weeks. Yeah names with faces would be cool.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • nooshinjohn
    I was impressed by the Musical Fidelity integrated. I have not heard their stuff before, but have heard good things about it. Thanks Doug, and to your wonderful family for hosting us. It was a pleasure to meet all of you.

I had a great time today, and hope to see everyone again soon.

John

• nooshinjohn
    codyc1ark wrote: »
    I'll add this, pictures cannot do those amps justice. It was an honor to me to see them in person. They sound much better than they look, if you would believe that. I'm surprised that they aren't doing an extended stay. ;)>:);)

Thank you sir for the kind words. I am happy you got your ears on them after all that Dan has put you through. :D

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    Looks like everyone had a good time spending time with some nice gear.

Oh yeah.......I know who is who and I'm taking bribes to keep my mouth shut.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• aboroth00
    I'd like to echo the sentiments posted already and thank Doug for providing the venue and Erik and John for providing some great gear and Cody for blessing us with his presence :P. All in all a great time with a bunch of great guys.

By the looks of it you could not tell whatsoever that John's amps were DIY. In Doug's room and with John's gear, it definitely made me second guess my current setup once I got the Revel's back into my system. And I keep saying i'm done...

2Ch Tube Audio Convert
  • Erik Tracy
    Erik Tracy Posts: 4,673
    What a great way to spend a Saturday afternoon!

My thanks to Doug and his family for playing host again - fantastic family.

And thank you to John for hauling down his Carver monoblocks and Pass preamp. With those set up - any speaker we hooked up went to a whole different level of sonic performance.

I couldn't stop saying 'wow' at the detail, depth, and texture I was hearing. And power....ppffft - those mono blocks were shaking the house!

We tried all sorts of combos with the gear there and it all sounded good, but everyone was in agreement 'best' was the Carvers with the Pass.

Very impressed with Will's Revel Gems - amazing soundstage width and balanced sound. Definitely sounded better to me with the rear firing tweeters engaged.

I think Doug has some thinking to do with the next steps on his path....me too!

Best part - meeting up with new folks into this hobby and sharing good music.

Thanks to all!

H9: If you don't trust what you are hearing, then maybe you need to be less invested in a hobby which all the pleasure comes from listening to music.