Dayton SA1000 Designed by Bob Carver?

Options
Conradicles
Conradicles Posts: 6,042
While shopping for a new home subwoofer amplifier, I noticed this when looking at the Dayton SA1000 sold by Parts Express:
"The SA1000 was manufactured in China. The designer of the amp was Bob Carver, and was licensed by him for use by Dayton Audio."

Does anybody know if this claim is legit?

I found it here under the Q&A:
http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-sa1000-subwoofer-amplifier-rack-mountable--300-811

mc3hdjzh87tr.jpg

Comments

• EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,534
    Options
    Never seen that but this is the amp I am using for my Stereo Integrity build too lol....

Wouldn't surprise me though. He did the same thing to the ribbon used in the CRM-2 speaker. Parts Express sells a identical copy as do a few other vendors.
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • WLDock
    WLDock Posts: 3,073
    Options
    Well the tracking downconverter is a Sunfire Trademark so there you goI

Another thing some may not know is that this amp was rebranded as a Snell Acoustics SPA750.
    http://www.snell.no/forum/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=2264.0;attach=531;image

2.2 Office Setup | LG 29UB55 21:9 UltraWide | HP Probook 630 G8 | Dell Latitude | Cabasse Stream Amp 100 | Boston Acoustics VS 240 | AUDIORAX Desk Stands | Mirage Omni S8 sub1 | Mirage Omni S8 Sub2
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,579
    edited December 2014
    Options
    WLDock wrote: »
    Well the tracking downconverter is a Sunfire Trademark so there you goI

Another thing some may not know is that this amp was rebranded as a Snell Acoustics SPA750.
    http://www.snell.no/forum/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=2264.0;attach=531;image

winner winner chicken dinner... He also licensed that to Jensen back in the 90's when he ran Sunfire. Jensen had a 12" and a 15" sub using his amps. Awhile back while doing some reading IIRC the downtracking wasn't new tech but he did do something new with it. I seem to remember that the patent had ran out and he maybe? was able to renew it with his circuit. Then again I could be completely wrong......

• jon s
    jon s Posts: 905
    Options
    The SP-1000, SPA-500 and SPA-1000 are supposed to be all based on the same design... Unfortunately, this amp suffers from poor reliability. I bought three and all three failed within a year. PE was able to replace them for me but one was not warrantied because they said it was due to a current surge. The current surge was when I powered it on.
  • EndersShadow
    Options
    jon s wrote: »
    The SP-1000, SPA-500 and SPA-1000 are supposed to be all based on the same design... Unfortunately, this amp suffers from poor reliability. I bought three and all three failed within a year. PE was able to replace them for me but one was not warrantied because they said it was due to a current surge. The current surge was when I powered it on.

This is a diff model, the SA1000. Chase Home Theater (now ChaneMusicCinema) has been using these with 4 ohm subs for quite some time with no issue.

"....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • Conradicles
    Options
    Reliability does seem to be an issue with these based on the reviews. However, after the 1 year warranty is up partsexpress will fix these for free, just note they will not cover shipping.

I can't make up my mind if I want this or a pro amp. Then I read tonight about some amp called the MQ600...
  • WLDock
    Options
    A Behringer iNuke or Europower can ge had for cheap. Change the fan to a quiet version and you'll have about the most power for the buck that you can find.
    2.2 Office Setup | LG 29UB55 21:9 UltraWide | HP Probook 630 G8 | Dell Latitude | Cabasse Stream Amp 100 | Boston Acoustics VS 240 | AUDIORAX Desk Stands | Mirage Omni S8 sub1 | Mirage Omni S8 Sub2
  • EndersShadow
    Options
    Reliability does seem to be an issue with these based on the reviews. However, after the 1 year warranty is up partsexpress will fix these for free, just note they will not cover shipping.

I can't make up my mind if I want this or a pro amp. Then I read tonight about some amp called the MQ600...

IIRC thats a ChaneMusicCinema product and supposed to be good....
    A Behringer iNuke or Europower can ge had for cheap. Change the fan to a quiet version and you'll have about the most power for the buck that you can find.

Yeah issue with the iNuke is that your voiding the warranty with the fan install... and also you've got to buy extra parts to make the connections work. The iNuke uses XLR inputs and as a pro amp needs a 2Vrms input load to achieve its full output. Most AVR's put out around 9Vrms. So you've got to buy a MiniDSP, or a Art Cleanbox to up the input voltage.

Then you've got to make cables for your sub because it only has speakon connections as outputs and most subs have RCA inputs unless you built it yourself to support both (an option I'm starting to consider)....

All that adds additional complexity where it doesnt need to be IMHO....

Is it worth it, well I was considering one for my build for the price, but the Dayton just seemed a better straightforward option.

• WLDock
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Oh, no doubt the SA1000 or even one or two BASH 500 are great plug and play options. I actually almost bought an SA1000 used from a guy that works for Dayton/Parts Express...for about $250. However, around the same time I found my used EP2500 used for super cheap, $75...with a one working and one blown channel. I could not pass that up. Given that I can repair it myself, I will fix the channel in due time. Duals won't be in the picture for awhile so I'm good.

Anyway, I still have the guys contact info....says he can get me a nice discount at Parts Express on a substantial purchase. Will be calling him when I decide to start the Statements II project.
  • EndersShadow
    Options
    Oh, no doubt the SA1000 or even one or two BASH 500 are great plug and play options. I actually almost bought an SA1000 used from a guy that works for Dayton/Parts Express...for about $250. However, around the same time I found my used EP2500 used for super cheap, $75...with a one working and one blown channel. I could not pass that up. Given that I can repair it myself, I will fix the channel in due time. Duals won't be in the picture for awhile so I'm good.

Anyway, I still have the guys contact info....says he can get me a nice discount at Parts Express on a substantial purchase. Will be calling him when I decide to start the Statements II project.

What will use will you be building them for? I may have some suggestions for you depending on your needs....
  • Conradicles
    Options
    After considering all the options, and the excellent service PartsExpress provides, I am going with this amp to power my new sub. Now I have to wait for it to go back on sale. :)
  • EndersShadow
    Options
    I've debated picking up a second for a end table build in the future lol... But gonna wait for em on sale or used.

Check ChaneMusicCinema too they use them for their subs.
  • Conradicles
    Options
    Just went and checked the ChaneMusicCinema site again. Man...that website needs some work.
  • EndersShadow
    Options
    Lol... No comment.
  • WLDock
    edited January 2015
    Options
    What will use will you be building them for? I may have some suggestions for you depending on your needs....

Looking to build my next pair of speakers for either a second 2 ch system or an all in one system. Will sell off the RT5000's if I have to settle for a single system. The money will help. Really depends on the available space in the next house...looking to maybe buy this year. Here are the design plans.
    http://speakerdesignworks.com/Statement_II_1.html
    http://techtalk.parts-express.com/showthread.php?243221-Statements-II-A-musical-evolution!

I want to make something curved and flashy like this...but using a more conventional design method. This guys router jig method was pretty cool.
    http://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-diy-speakers-subs/1354647-trompie-s-curved-statement-family-building-thread.html

I'm the hands on type and building something really makes this a true hobby for me....my creative side has been lacking. Need to get back to playing music/drums also....

• Conradicles
    Options
    Those will be really nice WLDock. I would like to build some new speakers myself. Seems like a really satisfying project.
  • WLDock
    Options
    Yeah, many seem to be happy with them and they have some great feedback from some of the DIY events.
  • MetropolisLake
    MetropolisLake Posts: 128
    edited January 2015
    Options

Totally agree. Not to mention the way cool DSP on the iNuke, assuming you get the DSP version at least. Not sure why they ship those things with those awful fans though. I just swapped mine out, stupid simple to do, cost like $14 for the whole project. Should have done it a long time ago. Something about voiding the warranty makes me nervous. :)

My only pet peeve in them is how an iNuke 6000 is actually two 3000's but they force you to run each side in bridged mono. Kinda jacks with configurations sometimes.

I actually tried a QSC RMX which is what the Europower copied but I couldn't get it to work, I don't know what I was doing wrong. Tried to use an Art CleanBox Pro to boost the signal up to pro levels but it was still weird, the output just wasn't there but lots of clipping and noise was. There's probably a trick to it but I have no idea what it is. I sent it back and got an iNuke. RCA cables can plug right up to it with some adapters and you're up and running instantly.