Need help setting up my DSW PRO 660 Wi Subwoofer

Options
Hi everyone, just got my DSW PRO 660 Wi sub along with RTi A5 ,A1 , CSi A4 speakers.

I have done all the connections and it's all playing and sounding ok but I have no idea what volume and frequencies to set for my subwoofer to get the best effect for movies and music.

There is something known as crossover too , please let me know the setting for all speakers if any owners with the same setup are here. Also my receiver is the Marantz SR6008.

Thanks.
Post edited by stanjohn123 on

Comments

• stanjohn123
    stanjohn123 Posts: 28
    edited June 2014
    Options
    Guy's need your help. I'm not able to feel my sub ? I want it to overtake my speakers at 50% volume but it's so mild. Can't believe it's a 300 RMS sub.
  • Erik Tracy
    Erik Tracy Posts: 4,673
    edited June 2014
    Options
    How exactly do you have the sub connected to your Marantz - and how have you set up the Marantz for Bass Management options and settings?

H9: If you don't trust what you are hearing, then maybe you need to be less invested in a hobby which all the pleasure comes from listening to music.
  • stanjohn123
    edited June 2014
    Options
    Erik Tracy wrote: »
    How exactly do you have the sub connected to your Marantz - and how have you set up the Marantz for Bass Management options and settings?

I've connected the sub to my Marantz with a single subwoofer cable from the sub in LFE port to the subwoofer pre out in zone 2 in my receiver.

There is a switch in the subwoofer which I have left it in LFE mode and there is knob for frequency which I have turned it fully to the left at 80 Hz.

In my receiver's Bass management option I have set crossover frequency at 40 Hz for all channel and subwoofer volume/ frequency is 2 db.
  • Erik Tracy
    Erik Tracy Posts: 4,673
    edited June 2014
    Options
    Most subs when connected to their LFE input bypass the crossover and it sounds like you have everything set up correct - except maybe the 40hz setting on the Marantz, which is kinda low, imo.

If you are listening to music, at 40 hz, the sub is only going to be filling in the lowest bass from music - so you may not here it 'overtake' your main speakers, it would be a more subtle effect. Have you tried turning the sub off altogether to hear what effect it has?

You may want to start over with the Marantz at 80hz, which is the 'recommended' crossover freq for Home Theater. See how that sounds and experiment from there.

H9: If you don't trust what you are hearing, then maybe you need to be less invested in a hobby which all the pleasure comes from listening to music.
  • stanjohn123
    edited June 2014
    Options
    Most subs when connected to their LFE input bypass the crossover and it sounds like you have everything set up correct - except maybe the 40hz setting on the Marantz, which is kinda low, imo.

If you are listening to music, at 40 hz, the sub is only going to be filling in the lowest bass from music - so you may not here it 'overtake' your main speakers, it would be a more subtle effect. Have you tried turning the sub off altogether to hear what effect it has?

You may want to start over with the Marantz at 80hz, which is the 'recommended' crossover freq for Home Theater. See how that sounds and experiment from there.

On my receiver under speakers/crossover I just have 2 options as below

1) Speaker selection : All

All : set to 80 Hz

2) Speaker selection : Individual

Front : 80 Hz
    Center : 40 Hz
    Surround : 60 Hz

Under Speakers/Bass

Subwoofer Mode : LFE
    LPF for LFE is set at 90 Hz

Under Audio/Subwoofer Level

Subwoofer Level : -3.0 dB

The thing is under individual speaker selection when I increase the center frequency from 40Hz to 80Hz the bass increases , how is that possible ? Doesn't center mean the center speakers ?

Also is there a break-in or run-in period for the subwoofers and speakers to reach its true potential ?
  • Kalito
    Kalito Posts: 30
    Options
    Hi and I hope you have resolved your problem. My understanding of crossover is at which frequency the sub passes on the work to the other speakers. I have the Polkaudio Blackstone TL350 satellites powered by a Sony STR-DN1040 network receiver which in itself is a 7.2ch unit. I have two shielded coaxial cables running to two Polkaudio DSW550wi (loved the 550 so much for xmas I bought myself a second one).

From what you have indicated in your issue depending on your speakers perhaps you want to adjust the crossover to something higher. My satellites setting is 100-120. The 550 is default set to 50% volume i.e 20. use the volume keys on the remote to increase the sub volume to say 30 (3 slow blinks).

Your source content must have LFE signals. Best is to play an action movie. Prometheus opening sequence and flyover the valley really does justice to the 550 and it thrives!!
    Polkaudio TL350 satellites
    Polkaudio OWM3 satellites for front high
    Polkaudio DSWpro550wi subwoofers (x2)
    Sony SRT-DN1050 Receiver
    Sony KLD-50R550A LCD TV
    DSTV Explora HDPVR
    PS4
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    I've connected the sub to my Marantz with a single subwoofer cable from the sub in LFE port to the subwoofer pre out in zone 2 in my receiver.

That might be your problem. If your playing movies in zone 1 but you have the sub connected to zone 2. Find your zone 1 subwoofer output.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable