PSW 110 Amp Problems

Cofish
Cofish Posts: 4
Whats up everyone?

I Just joined the forum and this is my first post so I'll give you a little bit of rundown of my system and some insight into a little problem I've been having. I have two Polk Monitor 70 series towers and a PSW110 subwoofer. All of these are powered by a Pioneer VSX-1021K receiver with monster cables with banana plugs(and a THX LFE for the Subwoofer).

So anyways onto my problem, I originally had a PSW111 Subwoofer but right outside of the box it sounded a little funny but I kept it and let it break in and things only got worse until I just decided to send it back altogether due to it not working anymore (all of this happened within a span of 2-3 weeks). So after this I traded for a PSW110 which I now still currently have. Back in May of this year I blew a fuse and to my surprise when I replaced the fuse with the same proper kind it wouldn't turn on, no power what so ever. So I called polk and I sent the Power Amp back and after a while I received a new power amp/ motherboard and it worked fine again. Just last week I had the same exact thing happen again, blew a fuse, replaced the fuse, no power what so ever. Can someone on here please tell me if they know of a solution to this? I have my crossover set at 80 on my receiver, and the sub volume usually sits at 50-60% so I don't understand what the problem is. Could it be that the LFE cord is causing problems versus the regular Red and White cable? Any help or insight would be much appreciated!

Thanks guys,

-Fish
Post edited by Cofish on

Comments

• deronb1
    deronb1 Posts: 5,021
    edited September 2012
    As a fan of Polk products and the company as a whole, the PSW110 is a terrible sub. I have known a number of people to have all sorts of problems with this sub. Plus, EVERYONE on this forum suggests upgrading from the PSW110. I don't know if this particular unit was farmed out for someone else to make or what, but it is not in the same ballpark, quality wise, as other Polk products.
  • Cofish
    edited September 2012
    Yikes...Not quite was I looking for but I do feel like I've run into a lot of problems with this one sub...

I was looking on Amazon and New Egg at the PSW505 Sub woofer, but can't quite justify it yet; need to research it some more. I've read that it's discontinued so I'm guessing that's the reason for the price drop but if it's discontinued I can still call Polk and address them with problems right? (i.e. bad power cable, replacing power amp) that being said I'm assuming the 505 wouldn't have any of those problems like my 110 did but who knows! I appreciate the speedy comment man!
  • deronb1
    deronb1 Posts: 5,021
    edited September 2012
    Have no first hand experience with the 505, but it has met with much more favorable reviews here and on other forums. And yes, Polk stands behind its products, discontinued or not, as long as it is in warranty. Great help and advice even after a product is out of warranty too.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,658
    edited September 2012
    Hello Cofish,
    Welcome to polk's forum first of all, I'm sorry you're having a problem. It's doubtful the cause is anything you have done, but rather something failed in the bass amplifier. There is a warranty on the replacement amplifier that Polk sent you, plus they will take the circumstances you've had into account. I recommend calling Polk at 1-800-377-7655 extension 208 and speaking with Kim. I'm sure he can be of help and get you straightened out. I'll send him an email giving him a rundown of the problem.
    Regards, Ken
  • -FROG-
    -FROG- Posts: 31
    edited September 2012
    I tend to stay away from Polk subs myself....
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    edited September 2012
    -FROG- wrote: »
    I tend to stay away from Polk subs myself....

You sure Polk subs don't tend to stay away from...you ! :biggrin:
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • -FROG-
    -FROG- Posts: 31
    edited September 2012
    Probably a little bit of both my friend...
  • Cofish
    edited September 2012
    I've got one more quick question for the Polk Moderators on the site. I sent my Power Amp back last Monday (the 10th) and Polk received it on the 12th (what the tracking number says). Is there a possible ETA on the arrival of my Amp back to me or do times vary? I called in advance and they knew I was just going to send it back in exchange for a new power cord and Amp. Any estimations on when it might be here? I'm jonesin' to have my system back at 100% with my sub.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,658
    edited September 2012
    Hello,
    The folks at Polk's CS department will be able to give you the tracking number of the return shipment. The best way to contact them is either by telephone at 1-800-377-7655 or via email at polkcs@polkaudio.com.
    Also, if you've provided Polk with your email address they will notify you with shipping information, if you haven't then they can add that to your service record when you call/email.
    Regards, Ken
  • My PSW110 died today also, after 4 years. Sound suddenly started coming out very low in volume. Without studying this too deeply, it sounds like Polk uses a push pull output amplifier configuration and one of the output devices died or came loose. I have heard of this happening to a Yamaha 8 inch sub from someone I work with also. In my opinion, I think the amplifier in all subs have a shorter life span then amplifiers sitting on a shelf because of the tremendous vibration they are exposed to (imagine what it feels like inside that box). I will call Polk Audio and see what they can do for me. All that being said, it is a great unit, the base is excellent.
  • My 110 to a crap on me a while back, in Europe it was still under warranty, but the store was being real stingy about honoring it, so I have a sub that only hits random loud notes, and sounds terrible.it is out of warranty in the stars now, so I'm going to pull it apart and see if one of my electronic tech friends can't help.
    2 Channel(work in progress):DAC: Schiit modi 2 uberAmp:Parasound 1200 MK IISub:RBH 1010-SEP Speakers: Monitor 5A peerlesscurrently running some krk rokit 3g since the HK pre outs died and i need to start breaking everything down to move in a couple monthsHeadphones:Source: tidalDAC: schiit modius epre: schiit sysAmp: AQ dragonfly black/ schiit magni2 Cans: Velodyne V-True, Grado SR225i, sennheiser x drop gaming headsetPC:DAC: schiit modius e(over spdif)pre: schiit sysspeakers: prenous eris 5 xtSub: Earthquake Sound MiniMe-P63most of my comments are passing on of info, im a noob, im just trying to help how i can, if im wrong or out of place to comment, dont hesitate to let me know :)"WITH WILLING HEARTS AND SKILLFUL HANDS, THE DIFFICULT WE DO AT ONCE, THE IMPOSSIBLE TAKES A BIT LONGER, WITH COMPASSION FOR OTHERS. WE BUILD - WE FIGHT FOR PEACE WITH FREEDOM"Seabee Memorial, Arlington, VA
  • smglbrth
    smglbrth Posts: 1,458
    I'm a Polk fan and all but the amp went out on my 110 before the warranty expired also. From what I've read here and other forums, at least on this model, the amps tend to self destruct pretty early. My replacement is working correctly but it hasn't been in that long.

Like I said, I'm a Polk fan but I'll probably look elsewhere for a sub when this one blows up again...
    Remember, when you're running from something, you're running to something...-me
  • seabeerob213
    seabeerob213 Posts: 1,840
    I'm screwed on getting a replacement without paying, so I'll just keep it around to tinker with, and see if a PE amp may work when I get around to it, have 4 other sub's, so no rush.
    2 Channel(work in progress):DAC: Schiit modi 2 uberAmp:Parasound 1200 MK IISub:RBH 1010-SEP Speakers: Monitor 5A peerlesscurrently running some krk rokit 3g since the HK pre outs died and i need to start breaking everything down to move in a couple monthsHeadphones:Source: tidalDAC: schiit modius epre: schiit sysAmp: AQ dragonfly black/ schiit magni2 Cans: Velodyne V-True, Grado SR225i, sennheiser x drop gaming headsetPC:DAC: schiit modius e(over spdif)pre: schiit sysspeakers: prenous eris 5 xtSub: Earthquake Sound MiniMe-P63most of my comments are passing on of info, im a noob, im just trying to help how i can, if im wrong or out of place to comment, dont hesitate to let me know :)"WITH WILLING HEARTS AND SKILLFUL HANDS, THE DIFFICULT WE DO AT ONCE, THE IMPOSSIBLE TAKES A BIT LONGER, WITH COMPASSION FOR OTHERS. WE BUILD - WE FIGHT FOR PEACE WITH FREEDOM"Seabee Memorial, Arlington, VA