Polk MELEE. Fuzz/interference

glingy
glingy Posts: 3
edited May 2014 in Video Games
hello. i must say i LOVE these headphones when plugged into an ipod or laptop.

however when i use them on my xbox 360 they have a rather loud, unchanging fuzz/interference. its loud enough that its noticable and im contemplating taking the headphones back. i think this noise is coming from the usb part of the hookup after some experimenting and effort to stop this noise.

ive used multiple locations for the usb (back of xbox, laptop, wall usb, router usb) for power and they all result in the same annoying noise, no differing in pitch or volume.

my other pair of gaming headphones ($20 rocketfish) have the same fuzz but at about half the volume so completely tolerable.

anyone else have the same problem? anything i can do? should i try and swap out for another pair of 'melees'
Post edited by glingy on

Comments

• GAMEPHRENIC GOD
    GAMEPHRENIC GOD Posts: 53
    edited January 2014
    Currently, waiting to pick up the 4Shot for Xboxone. Keep us posted on your discovery and issues with XBOX360.

The Community wants to know about these issues. This could kill a good thing. Let Polkaudio know, directly and call Customer Service.

glingy wrote: »

however when i use them on my xbox 360 they have a rather loud, unchanging fuzz/interference. its loud enough that its noticable and im contemplating taking the headphones back. i think this noise is coming from the usb part of the hookup after some experimenting and effort to stop this noise.

ive used multiple locations for the usb (back of xbox, laptop, wall usb, router usb) for power and they all result in the same annoying noise, no differing in pitch or volume.

my other pair of gaming headphones ($20 rocketfish) have the same fuzz but at about half the volume so completely tolerable.

anyone else have the same problem? anything i can do? should i try and swap out for another pair of 'melees'
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,658
    edited January 2014
    Hello glingy,
    Thanks for posting. I've made Polk CS aware of your problem, any updates you can share?
    Thanks, Ken
  • Big67
    Big67 Posts: 7
    edited January 2014
    glingy wrote: »

I have had the buzzing with my headset and I found it was only when I charged my wireless controller while playing. If I unplug the charger wire from my control the buzzing goes.
  • GAMEPHRENIC GOD
    edited January 2014
    Which has been a issue with most High end Headset. I have used them all. Can Polk Audio change that dynamic?

Big67 wrote: »
    I have had the buzzing with my headset and I found it was only when I charged my wireless controller while playing. If I unplug the charger wire from my control the buzzing goes.
  • GreenGreen
    GreenGreen Posts: 2
    edited January 2014
    I am having the same fuzz issue with my Melees on my Xbox One. The Melees are not connected to the controller so that is not the cause. Actually, it doesn't matter if the optical cable is even connected to anything. Any time the usb is plugged in (to the Xbox, TV, PC, anything I have tried), I hear the fuzz. There is no fuzz when connected to my phone/PC. It seems to me that the amplifier is causing the fuzz. Is there a solution out there? Should I return my Melees?
  • [Deleted User]
    edited January 2014
    Hello,
    Thanks for posting about this issue. Let me forward this to Polk's QA and CS departments and get their reactions.
    Regards, Ken
  • glingy
    glingy Posts: 3
    edited January 2014
    Alright. so ive returned the previous MELEE's and gotten another pair. SAME PROBLEM. only this time the buzzing was only about 1/2 the volume of the first time. then over a week's time the buzzing got louder to the same volume of the first pair. i tried the same remedies again. trying different USB ports and even bringing the entire hookup away from all other electronics.

- This is a huge problem with a $200 pair of headphones.... i imagine an entire recall will have to be done on the amplifier piece.

so ive returned them and got a $40 pair of turtle beach x12's. No buzz/interference. The polk fit and finish was superior and well designed. nice volume knobs and great feel on the head. when plugged into an ipod the sound was fantastic. its amazing how a small manufacturing problem can make a $40 product twice as good as a $200 product
  • [Deleted User]
    edited January 2014
    Hello glingy,
    I'm very sorry they didn't work out. Were you in contact with anybody from Polk about this?
    Regards, Ken
  • Superdude
    Superdude Posts: 34
    edited January 2014
    I too am having problems with noise. It is perfectly clean with my phone plugged in but if I plug in my xbox one with the amplifer I hear a hissing noise. I suspect its the usb power with the amplifer. How is the xbox one adapter working with melee? Does it use the amplifier with the usb/optical chord? If so, this is bad.
  • GAMEPHRENIC GOD
    edited January 2014
    Thank you Kim, for appearing here. This demonstrate Polk dedication to strong customer service. If anyone is having a similar issue please reach out to them and they will resolve your issue. This is the type of support that is needed in gaming. Because its our personal experience that matters.

Kim wrote: »
    GreenGreen,
    We can test out a pair here and send them to you.
    Call me direct at 800-377-7655 ext. 208 so I can get your address and phone number.

Thanks,
    Kim
  • nuffsaid
    nuffsaid Posts: 1
    edited February 2014
    Hi, did anyone in the thread have luck resolving this issue? I also have the white noise issue when the USB plugged in to powering the amplifier/audio converter dongle. It is not super loud, but it is quite noticeable and annoying - especially during movies and parts in games with low volume moments - see walking dead & the wolf among us. Just wondering what the experience was like trying to resolve this.

Thanks!
  • ajili.mahdi
    ajili.mahdi Posts: 2
    edited May 2014
    Hi, I bought 2 polk melee. I'm using one and offering the second to my brother.
    We both have the same issue. Once the headphones plugged to the amp, there is a white noise or interference.
    It's really annoying. I want to know if Polk is going to fix the issue. I love using the headphones with my phone, but I'm thinking of returning both because the I'm tired of hearing that white noise in the background
  • [Deleted User]
    edited May 2014
    Hello,
    Welcome to Polk's forum. My advice would be to give Polk CS a call at 1-800-377-7655 and I'm sure they can give some recommendations.
    Regards, Ken
  • Same problem. Returning to amazon in hopes of a fix, but reading the comments doesn't sound like that's going to work. Way too expensive of headset to have this problem, especially given the low mic volume issue too. Dang great design.
  • ggautier wrote: »
    Same problem. Returning to amazon in hopes of a fix, but reading the comments doesn't sound like that's going to work. Way too expensive of headset to have this problem, especially given the low mic volume issue too. Dang great design.

Both the Melee and the 4 Shot are broke designs that were never fully addressed nor fixed by Polk. You should return yours ASAP and go with a different brand.
  • UPDATE

so returned my poke melle headphones for a full refund at Best Buy. And got myself an Xbox one. The Polk 4shot headphones were on a huge sale down from $180 to just $80. I thought I'd take my chances and give them a try expecting to probably just take them back. I'm glad I gave poke another shot as these headphones are hugely superior having wireless connection and extremely good sound. Although the mic volume can be a bit low as reported by my friends overall it's very good and at $80 a good deal.
  • Recently got my own Polk Melee headset and had a similar issue. My apologies for resurrecting a dead topic, but I was actually able to fix the white noise issue on my own before I saw this thread. I'm fairly certain it's actually caused by the microphone.
    I've encountered similar issues with Logitech wired microphones in the past. I had the game sound playing through my actual surround sound system, only voice came through the headset, but there was an annoying amount of white noise. I found the noise pretty much goes away if you enter an Xbox Live party, even if you're by yourself the whole time.
    I tried the same thing with the Polk headset and it worked! Just say in a party by myself for the last 3 hours playing Far Cry 4 (which has no small amount of intense silent moments where you're trying to sneak up on someone) with no white noise driving me crazy.