Anything but Beats

Options
jflail2
jflail2 Posts: 2,868
Gents. I need some help/input from the crowd here. My niece is asking for a pair of Beats headphones for her birthday. I gave my sister the standard, "there are better headphones from better brands at lesser prices" spiel, but she reminded me that look/brand are an integral part of an 11 year old's decision making process.

Sooooo, any ideas for "colorful/fun" headphones that still sound pretty good, and don't break the bank? I have a pair of these AT's, which are in purple. They're just waaaaaay too big for her tiny head. Does anyone know of any other fancy/colorful cans from a better brand than Beats? Any recs are greatly appreciated.
2007 Club Polk Football Pool Champ

2010 Club Polk Fantasy Football Champ

2011 Club Polk Football Pool Champ

"It's like a koala bear crapped a rainbow in my brain!"

Comments

• EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,528
    Options
    Beyerdynamic DT-770's are blue and have a silver pad. That said it cant be TOO hard to pull the earcup off to paint it hot pink or whatever.

For an open can look at .... Grado SR60e, Grado SR80e

Otherwise dont really have any suggestions....
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • Dennis Gardner
    Options
    I'd buy the Beats and leave the lesson on quality for some time other than a specific birthday request. Being cool and seen having the "right stuff" is pretty important at this age and I can't think of an item more visible than headphones. I still remember wanting my first "blue" jeans at age 10 and my folks decided that blue denim was too tacky and faded too quickly. Those light green(almost yellow) denim jeans stuck out like a sore thumb and I still remember it 46 years later......

I'm a big believer in teaching life lessons on value and brand awareness, but not in place of specific requests. There is a lot of years left to teach a 10 year old those lessons, but once they shut you out, the lesson falls on deaf ears, and I don't mean deaf due to Beats......
    HT Optoma HD25 LV on 80" DIY Screen, Anthem MRX 300 Receiver, Pioneer Elite BDP 51FD Polk CS350LS, Polk SDA1C, Polk FX300, Polk RT55, Dual EBS Adire Shiva 320watt tuned to 17hz, ICs-DIY Twisted Prs, Speaker-Raymond Cable

2 Channel Thorens TD 318 Grado ZF1, SACD/CD Marantz 8260, Soundstream/Krell DAC1, Audio Mirror PP1, Odyssey Stratos, ADS L-1290, ICs-DIY Twisted , Speaker-Raymond Cable
  • sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,557
    Options
    I say go beats. Sure they aren't the best. But it will make her happy.
    At that age, you can't tell her something else is better. She will have
    to discover it herself or be told by a peer.
    If you aren't 19 or under, your input is suspect. Get used to it.
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • jflail2
    Options
    Yea........I think you guys are voicing the same thing I've been feeling out of the gate. I remember how important it was to "be cool" at that age. And it's not like their cans are terrible........just not great, and not priced in line with what you get.

I did find some colorful Sennheiser's, but they're only in an orange/white or red/black combo. Which apparently she wouldn't like.

Hahahaah, sigh...........I'll probably end up getting those damn Beats.

• Dennis Gardner
    Options
    You could always play dumb and buy her a bag of these.....795wrpgvsqxe.jpg
    HT Optoma HD25 LV on 80" DIY Screen, Anthem MRX 300 Receiver, Pioneer Elite BDP 51FD Polk CS350LS, Polk SDA1C, Polk FX300, Polk RT55, Dual EBS Adire Shiva 320watt tuned to 17hz, ICs-DIY Twisted Prs, Speaker-Raymond Cable

2 Channel Thorens TD 318 Grado ZF1, SACD/CD Marantz 8260, Soundstream/Krell DAC1, Audio Mirror PP1, Odyssey Stratos, ADS L-1290, ICs-DIY Twisted , Speaker-Raymond Cable
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,528
    edited October 2014
    Options
    jflail2 wrote: »
    Yea........I think you guys are voicing the same thing I've been feeling out of the gate. I remember how important it was to "be cool" at that age. And it's not like their cans are terrible........just not great, and not priced in line with what you get.

I did find some colorful Sennheiser's, but they're only in an orange/white or red/black combo. Which apparently she wouldn't like.

Hahahaah, sigh...........I'll probably end up getting those damn Beats.

Supposedly the NEWER beats are not "as bad" as the originals... that might make it easier to swallow....

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/time-rethink-beats-solo2-excellent-page-2

Otherwise @jeremymarcinko‌
    The Noontec Hammo is a better alternative to the Beats IMO. It looks a lot like the Beats Studio but has much better sound quality. I purchased a pair about 3 months ago and have been quite impressed given its sub $125 price tag on amazon. The Noontec Zoro HD's are styled after the Solo, but again sounds much better. I haven't heard the new Solo2 yet however. I think if anyone is considering the Beats because of their style they should give the Noontec's a look.
    https://www.noontecusa.com/product/noontec-hammo-stereo-headphones

They have some REALLY cool colors:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DTWIH1A/ref=twister_B00F46IF3Y

61cwR-Nq9KL._SL1196_.jpg

61PzMAMwOyL._SL1041_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=bl_sr_electronics?ie=UTF8&field-brandtextbin=Noontec&node=172282

http://www.amazon.com/Noontec-Adjustable-Earphone-Headphone-Cellphone/dp/B00EV1MOGM/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1414520533&sr=1-2

61-uKL2pAKL._SL1200_.jpg
    618RY%2B9ldNL._SL1200_.jpg
    51lsNl9e4TL.jpg
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • Dennis Gardner
    Options
    ^^^Nice looking phones.......decent pricing too.

• MrBuhl
    MrBuhl Posts: 2,419
    Options
    I had the same dilemma for my two girls - picked up two pair of these: Beyerdynamic DTX 501P in different colors so there was no argument over who's was whose. They actually sound better than the Beats, and the girls were happy. But... as others have said, they were not initially happy necessarily - funny enough though, now their friends are getting these too instead.
    VA HT HK AVR20II, Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD, Polk Audio RC80i / Polk Audio CSi3, 60" Panasonic Plasma, Nordost / Signal Cable A2 / Wireworld / Pangea / Magic Power
    VA 2 Channel Focal Electra 926 speakers, Pass Labs X150.5 Amp, Eastern Electric MiniMax Preamp (Tutay mods), Eastern Electric Minimax CDP (Scott Nixon mods), Music Hall mmf 5.1 Turntable, Parks Audio Budgie Phono Pre , Audioengine B1 streamer, MIT S3 IC's / MIT Shotgun S3 Speaker Cables / PS Audio power cables
    Noggin Schiit Valhalla, Pangea, Phillips Fidelio X1, Polk UF8000

Polk SDA1c modded
    Polk CRS+ 4.1TL modded (need veneer)
    Polk SDA2BTL (fully modded)
    A/L 1000VA Dreadnought Canare 4s11 SDA cable
    SACD Marantz DV8300
    Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD
    Yamaha YP-D6
    Soundcraftsmen PCR800
    Audible Illusions L1 Preamp
    Vincent MFA based Cocci Tube Preamp
    Pho-700 Phono Pre
    Signal Cable Silver Resolution IC's

• AsSiMiLaTeD
    AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,722
    Options
    Posted above, but the Beats Solo2 are actually good sounding headphones. They're not good enough to make it into my collection, but they actually do sound good. Another great thing is their sound signature, they have a somewhat relaxed top end which I think is important for headphones and especially kids, they are safer on their ears and easier to wear for long periods.

If I were buying for a kid I'd likely go that route because they're less likely to damage their hearing, this is something that often gets overlooked.
  • Sami
    Sami Posts: 4,634
    Options
    Get her these and if she don't like them then take them for yourself and get her the beats...win-win...

square_louped_hd_800_01_sq_high_end_sennheiser.png
  • jeremymarcinko
    Options
    I wouldn't want to encourage disappointing the birthday girl, but I would still recommend the Noontecs mentioned above to the beats. They are very stylish, build quality is on par with Beats, maybe a little better, but they really do sound great. In addition they are VERY comfortable although noise isolation could be better. Of course noise isolation isn't great on the Beats either. I wouldn't say audiophile quality sound but for a portable, light weight headphones with a Mic they have exceeded my expectations.
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    Options
    She wants the Beats, so get her what she wants. This isn't about you, it's about what she wants, and what she will use. If you get her something else, she will just stick them in a drawer never to see the light of day. She'll be unhappy and you will have wasted your money.

But most importantly, she will learn the lesson that you don't believe in listening to her or thinking that her opinion is important! That's a life long lesson you do NOT want to pass along.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • vmaxer
    vmaxer Posts: 5,116
    Options
    I had to buy my 13 year old daughter a set of "Beats" - in her school you had them if you were cool - nothing more!!

Sad the way kids see things, but I wanted her to be "Cool".
    Pio Elete Pro 520
    Panamax 5400-EX
    Sunfire TGP 5
    Micro Seiki DD-40 - Lyra-Dorian and Denon DL-160
    PS Audio GCPH phono pre
    Sunfire CG 200 X 5
    Sunfire CG Sig 405 X 5
    OPPO BDP-83 SE
    SDA SRS 1.2TL Sonicaps and Mills
    Ctr CS1000p
    Sur - FX1000 x 4
    SUB - SVS PB2-Plus

Workkout room:
    Sony Bravia XBR- 32-Inch 1080p
    Onkyo TX-DS898
    GFA 555
    Yamaha DVD-S1800BL/SACD
    Ft - SDA 1C

Not being used:
    RTi 38's -4
    RT55i's - 2
    RT25i's -2, using other 2 in shop
    LSI 15's
    CSi40
    PSW 404
  • Stew
    Stew Posts: 645
    Options
    We bought Beats for my then 14 yr old last Christmas. I suggested he listen to some other options but it quickly became apparent that sound quality was not the driver. The cool factor won out. I wouldn't buy them for myself but they still make him happy a year later.
    SDA 2B-TL (Sonicap/Solen/Mills, Erse Super Q, Rings, Spikes, No-Rez)
    1000VA Dreadnought
    Dared SL-2000a (Siemens & Halske TM 12AT7WA's, Brimar 5Z4G)
    Jolida JD-100a (Sylvania BP TM Gold Brand 5751's), NAD C275BEE, Blue Jeans

RTiA3, Onkyo TX-SR605
  • coolsax
    coolsax Posts: 1,824
    Options
    I'm with all the people saying just get her what she wants, but as Assimilated said. Get her the Beats Solo 2. they are getting good reviews from respected reviewers.
    Main 2ch -
    BlueSound Node->Ethereal optical cable->Peachtree Audio Nova 150->GoldenEar Triton 2+
    TT - Pro-ject Classic SB with Sumiko Bluepoint.

TV 3.1 system -
    Denon 3500 -> Dynaudio Excite 32/22
  • jflail2
    Options
    Yup, I'm giving in and going the Beats route. My sister's going to take her to Best Buy and let her try on over ear and on ear models, and I'll probably just get her whichever she liked the fit/feel of better.

Thanks for the help all. And thanks for the Noontec recommendation as well guys. That was what I was looking for, prior to deciding why not go ahead and get her exactly what she wants.

• Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,895
    Options
    I bought my daughter a set of Beats Mixers, she loves them, and the smile it put on her face was priceless...

I'm not understanding the dislike for them, I have borrowed them a couple of times from her, and I like them. Not everyone is going to be an audiophile junkie, I would have loved to have a set of Beats headphones when I was younger..
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,060
    Options
    Yup, I'm giving in and going the Beats route. My sister's going to take her to Best Buy and let her try on over ear and on ear models, and I'll probably just get her whichever she liked the fit/feel of better.

Thanks for the help all. And thanks for the Noontec recommendation as well guys. That was what I was looking for, prior to deciding why not go ahead and get her exactly what she wants.

Yep must agree with most of the responses here the smile your niece gives you when she's unpacking those Beats will have been worth the cost. Good decision on your behalf. The wife just had to have a Bose I phone dock, so I bought her one, the smile I see on her face wether she has it in the laundry room, or in the kitchen making omlets on Sunday morning with her iTunes America station on was worth the cost, as its what she had her heart set on.

Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    Options
    You could always play dumb and buy her a bag of these.....795wrpgvsqxe.jpg

Its a good idea to give in on the Beats this time. However, I would package a few of these real beets, give them to her first and while she is unwrapping them I would tell her I picked the red ones.
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • jflail2
    Options
    Purple over ear Beats Studios on the way. I've been in Europe for work the last 11 days, so finally getting back in the saddle here in the US. I think she'll be pleased. Thanks to all for pointing out the obvious that I was trying to ignore. Brand matters at that age! And I'll be the "cool uncle" again, hahaha.

• RamZet
    RamZet Posts: 792
    Options
    Kids are only interested about "cool", I bet she has an iPhone too. There are about 50 phones better than the iPhone but the iPhone has that cool factor that kids like.
    While I don't like Beats I do have to accredit them with getting the masses in on better, higher quality sound.
    B&W CM9Classé Sigma
  • jflail2
    Options
    Ipod touch. They don't have cell phones yet. And honestly, all the "good" cell phones seem nearly 6 of 1, 1/2 a dozen of the other these days.

For an update, she LOVES her new headphones. Loves them. Mission accomplished!

• RamZet
    RamZet Posts: 792
    Options
    Ipod touch. They don't have cell phones yet. And honestly, all the "good" cell phones seem nearly 6 of 1, 1/2 a dozen of the other these days.

For an update, she LOVES her new headphones. Loves them. Mission accomplished!

What did they settle on, Solo2?
    I would get her one more gift so they stand out a bit more and maybe convert her at a young age. I would maybe look at a small cheap inline amp like the Fii E6 or E1.
    That small stupid device opened my younger brother's eyes up.
    B&W CM9Classé Sigma
  • jflail2
    Options
    I got her the over ear NC version (apparently discontinued but still available new.) She didn't like the feel of the solo2's, or on ear in general.

And I'm pondering upgrading my can amp at work, so she may be receiving a used Emmeline SR71 soon. It would be perfect for her BC its small and runs off of 2x 9 volts.

Yea....I'm gonna have them both hooked on good music if at all possible.