SDA's

F1nut
F1nut Posts: 49,711
edited August 2004 in Vintage Speakers
Just wanted to say, SDA's are the greatest!
Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

Post edited by F1nut on

Comments

• trubluluc
    trubluluc Posts: 2,067
    edited August 2004
    .........second that!

-Luc
  • PolkWannabie
    PolkWannabie Posts: 2,763
    edited August 2004
    3rd ... Still on the prowl for a pair of 1.2/2.3 TL's but the CRS+'s are wonderful for 2 channel ...
  • ohskigod
    ohskigod Posts: 6,500
    edited August 2004
    have been developing a new appreciation for 2 channel (and some vinyl as well) with my sda 2b's i got from gshisme in may. havent seen him around, but if your lookin, thanx again!!!
    Living Room 2 Channel -
    Schiit SYS Passive Pre. Jolida CD player. Songbird streamer. California Audio Labs Sigma II DAC, DIY 300as1/a1 Ice modules Class D amp. LSi15 with MM842 woofer upgrade, Nordost Blue Heaven and Unity interconnects.

Upstairs 2 Channel Rig -
    Prometheus Ref. TVC passive pre, SAE A-205 Amp, Wiim pro streamer and Topping E50 DAC, California Audio Labs DX1 CD player, Von Schweikert VR3.5 speakers.

Studio Rig - Scarlett 18i20(Gen3) DAW, Mac Mini, Aiyma A07 Max (BridgedX2), Totem Mites
  • SDA SRS 1.2
    SDA SRS 1.2 Posts: 255
    edited August 2004
    SDA's love all the power you can throw at them - found that out when I recently upgraded from the Carver TFM-45 (375 wpc/8 ohms) to the Sunfire Signature (600 wpc/8 ohms). Truly amazed at the difference! :)
    Main System: Polk SDA SRS 1.2 Speakers, Sunfire Signature 600~two Amp, Carver C-16 Preamp, Carver TX-11b Tuner, Marantz 6350Q TT, Philips CDR-775 Recorder, Teac V-707RX Cassette Deck, Signal Cable Double Run Speaker Cable

Upstairs Den: Marantz 2325 Receiver, Marantz 5220 Cassette Deck, Marantz HD-880 Speakers, Marantz 6370Q TT

Exercise (Kabuki speaker) Room: Kenwood KR-9600 Receiver, Pioneer CS-99a Speakers, Sansui SP-X9000 Speakers (not pretty, but LOUD! :) )
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited August 2004
    SDA SRS 1.2,

I'd actually like to hear your thoughts re the TFM-45 and the Sunfire.

Hey, if you can make it down Hwy 78 a ways in October, we'd like to talk to you in person!

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • SDA SRS 1.2
    SDA SRS 1.2 Posts: 255
    edited August 2004
    Many thanks, Troy! I've been following the "October extravaganza" thread and will check the calendar.

I was very happy with the TFM-45 until a lightning strike to a pine tree on the neighbor's property took out my computer, two tv's, the stove top, garage doors, and unfortunately, my TFM-45. I had my eye on the Sunfire but couldn't justify the expense until now. As we know, opinions are very subjective, but I do hear noticeable differences with the Sunfire. As great as the TFM-45 was, the Sunfire seems to have a bit more presence or brilliance and definitely more "punch". Folks talk about the "tube sound" of the Carver and Sunfire, and in this respect the Carver had much more of a "warm, tube" sound than the Sunfire. The Sunfire has two choices for outputs, voltage (normal) and current (more "warmth" as Bob calls it in the owner's manual) - I have only tried the voltage source outputs. The biggest difference I can tell between the two is while playing well recorded selections such as Diana Krall, etc. the vocals are much more "out there" and the bass is much tighter. I think the Sunfire is able to deliver higher "sustained" power than the Carver as the SDA's just seem to really "come alive" with no signs of giving out. Ironically, every so often with the Carver the tweeter protection circuit would trip and this has yet to occur with the Sunfire.

I purchased the Sunfire from Custom Audio Video in Bluffton, SC, one of two authorized dealers in SC. Obviously, the Sunfire is a great amp, but to me so is the TFM-45. Had fate not stepped in and rendered my TFM-45 useless, I would likely be still satisfied
    with it's great sound, but there sure is a noticeable difference with the Sunfire.

Thanks again for asking - I hope one day there will be another factory visit to Polk. I would love for Matt to sign my owner's manual! :)

Robbie
    Main System: Polk SDA SRS 1.2 Speakers, Sunfire Signature 600~two Amp, Carver C-16 Preamp, Carver TX-11b Tuner, Marantz 6350Q TT, Philips CDR-775 Recorder, Teac V-707RX Cassette Deck, Signal Cable Double Run Speaker Cable

Upstairs Den: Marantz 2325 Receiver, Marantz 5220 Cassette Deck, Marantz HD-880 Speakers, Marantz 6370Q TT

Exercise (Kabuki speaker) Room: Kenwood KR-9600 Receiver, Pioneer CS-99a Speakers, Sansui SP-X9000 Speakers (not pretty, but LOUD! :) )
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited August 2004
    Robbie,

Thanks for the rundown!

I have both a TFM-45 and a pair of the Silver 9t's and find them very very similar in terms of sound. I think the Silver 9's exhibit a tad more control in the bottom octaves.

There USED to be a Sunfire dealer on Savannah Highway in West Ashley. He had the Vacuum Tube preamp and a TG pre and a Cinema Grand for a short time. The tube pre is on my short list of items to own.

The Polkfest promises to be an all weekend event so hopefully you can make it down for at least some of it! Of course, if you can't, anytime your down in the big city, c'mon by!

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • HBombToo
    HBombToo Posts: 5,256
    edited August 2004
    Originally posted by PolkWannabie
    3rd ... Still on the prowl for a pair of 1.2/2.3 TL's but the CRS+'s are wonderful for 2 channel ...

me too and my 2B's are Awesome!

HBomb
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • I-SIG
    I-SIG Posts: 2,238
    edited August 2004
    Originally posted by F1nut
    Just wanted to say, SDA's are the greatest!

Here, here!!!!

Wes
    Link: http://polkarmy.com/forums

Panasonic TH-42PHD8UK 42" HDTV | Polk Audio SDA-SRS's (w/RDO's & Vampire Posts) + SVS PC+ 25-31 | AudioQuest Granite (mids) + BWA Silver (highs) | Cary Audio CAD-200 | Signal Cable Silver Resolution XLR's | Wyred 4 Sound STP/SE Pre | Signal Cable Silver Resolution XLR's | Cambridge Audio azur 840C--Wadia 170i + iPod jammed w/ lossless audio--Oppo 970 | Pure|AV PF31d