Quadrophenia

Options
skrol
skrol Posts: 3,338
edited August 2014 in Music & Movies
I have a German pressing in excellent condition that I am playing on my Pioneer PL-530, Ortofon and through a Denon DRA-835 and EPI M50's and enjoying the heck out of it. I forgot how excellent an album this is.
Stan

Main 2ch:
Polk LSi15 (DB840 upgrade), Parasound: P/LD-1100, HCA-1000A; Denon: DVD-2910, DRM-800A; Benchmark DAC1, Monster HTS3600-MKII, Grado SR-225i; Technics SL-J2, Parasound PPH-100.

HT:
Marantz SR7010, Polk: RTA11TL (RDO198-1, XO and Damping Upgrades), S4, CS250, PSW110 , Marantz UD5005, Pioneer PL-530, Panasonic TC-P42S60

Other stuff:
Denon: DRA-835R, AVR-888, DCD-660, DRM-700A, DRR-780; Polk: S8, Monitor 5A, 5B, TSi100, RM7, PSW10 (DXi104 upgrade); Pioneer: CT-6R; Onkyo CP-1046F; Ortofon OM5E, Marantz: PM5004, CD5004, CDR-615; Parasound C/PT-600, HCA-800ii, Sony CDP-650ESD, Technics SA 5070, B&W DM601
Post edited by skrol on

Comments

• mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,037
    edited August 2014
    Options
    It is very excellent indeed - I find it all in all a better realized work than Tommy, although I guess Tommy was somewhat more revolutionary in its time than was Quadrophenia.
  • drumminman
    drumminman Posts: 3,396
    edited August 2014
    Options
    +1

I've always like it better than Tommy. It has some amazing writing and playing. Still looking for a decent SACD version as my original MCA (I think it is) sounds incredibly flat and 2 dimensional.
    "Science is suppose to explain observations not dismiss them as impossible" - Norm on AA; 2.3TL's w/sonicaps/mills/jantzen inductors, Gimpod's boards, Lg Solen SDA inductors, RD-0198's, MW's dynamatted, Armaflex speaker gaskets, H-nuts, brass spikes, Cardas CCGR BP's, upgraded IC Cable, Black Hole Damping Sheet strips, interior of cabinets sealed with Loctite Power Grab, AI-1 interface with 1000VA A-L transformer
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,981
    edited August 2014
    Options
    I saw the movie in its entirety for the first time not long ago and thought it was quite good. I also like the album much more than Tommy, quite amazing indeed.
  • jhw59
    jhw59 Posts: 348
    edited August 2014
    Options
    the recent BR-audio release of Quad with surround and stereo mixes is well worth picking up.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,037
    Options
    The movie is quite good -- Sting's big screen debut (I think); he's quite good in it as the Ace Face.
  • drumminman
    drumminman Posts: 3,396
    Options
    jhw59 wrote: »
    the recent BR-audio release of Quad with surround and stereo mixes is well worth picking up.

Is this a remix of the original with Pete, Keith, John and Roger?
    "Science is suppose to explain observations not dismiss them as impossible" - Norm on AA; 2.3TL's w/sonicaps/mills/jantzen inductors, Gimpod's boards, Lg Solen SDA inductors, RD-0198's, MW's dynamatted, Armaflex speaker gaskets, H-nuts, brass spikes, Cardas CCGR BP's, upgraded IC Cable, Black Hole Damping Sheet strips, interior of cabinets sealed with Loctite Power Grab, AI-1 interface with 1000VA A-L transformer
  • Tornado Red
    Tornado Red Posts: 939
    edited August 2014
    Options
    drumminman wrote: »
    jhw59 wrote: »

Is this a remix of the original with Pete, Keith, John and Roger?

There are 2 new Quadrophenia blu-rays out there, one is the studio album with the '73 stereo mix and a 5.1 recently done by Pete. It's excellent, though some think John's bass is mixed too light in the 5.1. For me, it's one of the best multi channel mixes I've ever heard. The other BD is the Quadrophenia live concert as done by The Who last year at the O2 arena. Also excellent IMO. Oh, and there is also a big a** box set too.

• cincycat13
    cincycat13 Posts: 882
    Options
    Sitting here enjoying the '73 stereo mix. Ripped the bluray to ISO then extracted stereo 24/96 to burn to DVD for playback. I guess this is all hypothetical if the digital police are out there but I did buy the bluray and I am loving the 73 mix until I get a surround system put up.
  • outlander
    outlander Posts: 218
    Options
    Without a doubt , my favorite Who album. I have a pressing I bought back in the mid 70’s that is in mint condition. Thanks for the reminder skrol, I’m going to give that one a spin now.