Will i benefit by having an amp for my door speakers?

JhoZ
JhoZ Posts: 2
edited June 2014 in Car Audio & Electronics
the guy at the local shop said if i wanted to pay my music louder i should get an amp, and that most people have amps for their front speakers because the rear is just for filling.

i have sony xplod 6 1/2" speakers in the door (i am happy with the quality, contrary to popular opinion) and he recommended the Eclipse EA2000 (http://www.eclipse-web.com/amp/ea2000.html).

he gave me a deal for $150. what i want to know is will it be worth it to hook the speakers up to the amp?

or am i better off ditching it and just buying subs?
he sells PowerBass so he recommended the ASA 400.2 amp with their WB10 dual 10" sub box

basically i have the quality, i just want more thump in my music. let me know what you think.

smile.gif
Post edited by JhoZ on

Comments

• recoveryone
    recoveryone Posts: 885
    edited June 2014
    doesn't sound like you are ready to put 3k into this project, but here is my two cents from a old guy. Adding an amp will help the overall sound quality, as it take the pressure off the HD (headunit) to produce more power. In some units (mainly lower end ones) the higher the volume the less the quality of the sound, with an amp you can still have the quality without the strain on the HD.

I would suggest a 2/4 channel amp depending on how many speakers you are driving rated at 300-500 watts range. I would stick with brands like Alpine, Clarion and a few others. Now days you need a Phd to decipher the math use to get the true power rating of amps on the market. Then I would get mono amps for your subs in the back for that real thump.
    Family Room HT 7.2/i]:Vizio Oled55h1 Pioneer Elite SC-LX502 Pioneer Elite BDP 85FD Eversolo DMP A6 Panamax M5300-EXSpeakers Fronts Fluance XF8L Center Polk Audio S35 Side Surrounds Optimus LS30's Rear Surrounds Optimus LS30's Subs SVS PB4000 x2 Living room 2ch: Crown Xli 1500 amp Teac EQ MKII FX Audio X6 Mk II DAC Squeezebox Touch Fluance Signature Tower Speakers Panamax M5100-EXOffice media room:Vizio M50Q6 50" Pioneer Elite VSX LX103 Squeezebox Touch Polkaudio R50 Towers Polkaudio CS 10 Panamax M4300 Monoprice 12" subMaster bedroom:Vizio M55Q7 Pioneer Elite VSX LX302 Pioneer Elite BDP 85FD Squeezebox Touch Polk audio RTi 6 fronts, Rears Dayton B652 Polk Audio CS10 center Monoprice 12" sub Panamax M5300-EX
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,707
    edited June 2014
    UGH.

The rear is not for filling. It is a separate sound stage. It can be used to enhance the front sound stage or it can be used to draw the sound stage back so that all passengers can enjoy the music. You can even get "quadraphonic" or even surround sound processors to make the discrete rear surround channels for DVD-A or SACD levels of multi-channel programming. The only way it's ever for "filling" is if you install low frequency drivers back there and use the air space and rear widow reflection to enhance the bottom end.

An amp doesn't necessarily allow you to play anything louder. What an amp does is it provides you more overhead power to compensate for the programming peaks so you aren't overdrawing your headunit and getting all kinds of distortion. So while it may SEEM you are playing your music louder, you typically aren't. You are just able to turn your volume up farther before you reach a distortion point. Mainly because you aren't driving your headunit amp into clipping anymore.

That said, an amp has many benefits and is worth the time to find a good one that will give you what you want and match your speakers well.

However, an amp might expose your Sony speakers for the under-performers they are.

I don't really understand why you are on a Polk Audio website asking about stuff that isn't Polk Audio though. I doubt anyone here has had any experience with Powerbass.

Also, how can he recommend an Eclipse EA2000 when that amp has been discontinued for over a year now. It's not a deal either at $150. Crutchfield was selling them for $70, new. http://www.crutchfield.com/S-fgM4uWQloOd/p_099EA2000/Eclipse-EA2000.html

I think somebody is trying to snow you and separate you from your money.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,707
    edited June 2014
    DSkip wrote: »
    ....that's what she said.

Yeah, I know, she said to put it on her back.

Wait...

..what?
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • cnh
    cnh Posts: 13,284
    edited June 2014
    Lasareath wrote: »
    Here's what I put in my car: http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=14156

The cost was around $3K, 1000 Watts, 4 x 100 & 600 watts in the trunk.

Polk Audio Speakers, JL Audio Amps, JL Audio Sub, KnuKonceptz Wires and Fuse blocks. 15SQ FT of Dynamat Pro

Lots and Lots of Power and Sounds Amazing!

3K in a Nissan Leaf? Isn't that worth more than your vehicle?

Seems like a lot of car audio for what is pretty much an electric moped on wheels, no? No disrespect on the Leaf. My wife drives a Prius and I would NEVER spend 3K on an audio system for IT either. You want big audio, drive something bigger. lol

cnh
    Currently orbiting Bowie's Blackstar.!

Polk Lsi-7s, Def Tech 8" sub, HK 3490, HK HD 990 (CDP/DAC), AKG Q701s
    [sig. changed on a monthly basis as I rotate in and out of my stash]
  • WLDock
    WLDock Posts: 3,073
    edited June 2014
    Lasareath wrote: »
    I make a lot of money, $3K is pocket change for me. I won't tell you what I made in 2013 but I paid $113K in taxes, you figure it out.
    Damn!

Myself, with the day I had at work yesterday...I sat back wondering..."Is this what I want to be doing?" I think I need start exploring possibilities.I have to reignite the fire and inspire myself.

Las, really wondering what you do and how you got successful. Taking it to PM.

As far as an amp....? its all about headroom and dynamics....a deck has none! The car is not a quiet environment.
    2.2 Office Setup | LG 29UB55 21:9 UltraWide | HP Probook 630 G8 | Dell Latitude | Cabasse Stream Amp 100 | Boston Acoustics VS 240 | AUDIORAX Desk Stands | Mirage Omni S8 sub1 | Mirage Omni S8 Sub2