What is the difference between pro audio, home audio, car audio?

Marshal
Marshal Posts: 2
edited June 2014 in Car Audio & Electronics
what is the difference between all of those 3 in power consumption i seen a old kenwood house amp that is almost loud almost good as a dj amp

smile.gif
Post edited by Marshal on

Comments

• Dennis Gardner
    Dennis Gardner Posts: 4,860
    edited June 2014
    The first one is to be used by "Professionals", the second one goes in your "home" and the last one works in "cars".

Next question please.....
    HT Optoma HD25 LV on 80" DIY Screen, Anthem MRX 300 Receiver, Pioneer Elite BDP 51FD Polk CS350LS, Polk SDA1C, Polk FX300, Polk RT55, Dual EBS Adire Shiva 320watt tuned to 17hz, ICs-DIY Twisted Prs, Speaker-Raymond Cable

2 Channel Thorens TD 318 Grado ZF1, SACD/CD Marantz 8260, Soundstream/Krell DAC1, Audio Mirror PP1, Odyssey Stratos, ADS L-1290, ICs-DIY Twisted , Speaker-Raymond Cable
  • eloplayspolo
    eloplayspolo Posts: 1,117
    edited June 2014
    the first one is to be used by "professionals", the second one goes in your "home" and the last one works in "cars".

Next question please.....

lolololo
    2013 Toyota Prius
    Audible Physics 3 Way: H6MB, AR3-A, AR2.0
    Image Dynamics iDMax 12" D2v4
    (2) Alpine PDX-V9 Bridged, Alpine PDX-M12 (500w Mid-Bass, 200w Mid, 200w Tweet, 1200w Sub)
    Mosconi 6to8 v8
  • halo71
    halo71 Posts: 4,567
    edited June 2014
    Marshal wrote: »
    what is the difference between all of those 3 in power consumption i seen a old kenwood house amp that is almost loud almost good as a dj amp

Shouldn't that read...."I seen a old dj amp that is almost loud almost good as a kenwood house amp"?
    --Gary--
    Onkyo Integra M504, Bottlehead Foreplay III, Denon SACD, Thiel CS2.3, NHT VT-2, VT-3 and Evolution T6, Infinity RSIIIa, SDA1C and a few dozen other speakers around the house I change in and out.
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,707
    edited June 2014
    This thread makes me want to cry.

Pro-audio or "dj amps" are for public address systems. They are high sensitivity amps with noisy amplification circuits that are doing nothing but shouting everything through high sensitivity drivers that are designed to do nothing more than play loud. They have a limited frequency range and the only reason they sound like they are running the full 20-20K gamut is because of room loading. They are typically playing with more output than the room can handle because DJ's are morons and don't understand what "reasonable listening levels" means. So the drivers are playing at levels that are moving enough air to actually get a compression factor in a room. That's why you can "feel" it.

For critical listening of any kind, pro-audio is garbage. Anyone who says or thinks different is drunk off their butt or a moron.

Home audio runs on 120V AC power. Unless you remove the AC transformer and connect it directly to a DC power source that can energize the internal DC power rails sufficiently to provide the power necessary to run the amplification circuits. But the 120V AC/DC transformer already does that so why bother?

Car audio runs on 12V DC power. Well, actually, it's typically 14.4V DC but who's counting? Oh, that's right, I am.

Home and car audio are way more similar than the vast majority of people think. In fact, many of the newer, ultra efficient amplifier designs in home audio were originally made for car audio where they were perfected while rattling people's kidneys loose and exciting pretty girls while blowing their hair around.

Power consumption is entirely dependent on circuit design and the load you are driving (i.e.: what kind of amp, how powerful it is and what speakers you have attached to it). To give you a reference for power consumption...yeah, impossible. You need to provide specs for what you are looking at.

Also, go learn about Ohm's law.

As far as what power they use Pro and Home run on 120V AC power. Amperage draw depends not on how much output power the output circuits support but how much power the input circuits use. So you'll have to look at the specs for that. Especially if it's an integrated device that is running pre-amp controls that aren't passive.

Car audio uses 12V DC standard. Most car charging systems run between 14.4V and 15V so that they battery actually charge to a 12V standard and you can still run the car. Again, you need to look at the spec sheet for the amp you want to use.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!