surround sound from surroundbar 5000

colindo
colindo Posts: 7
edited May 2014 in Forum Testing Area
I have just purchased a surroundbar 5000 iht and can not hear surround sound. What must I do to enable this.
I have connected to my Samsung 55" tv, model 6400 , via the optical digital out from the TV to the optical in of the Polk 5000 iht.
Thanks
Post edited by colindo on

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,658
    edited May 2014
    Hello,
    Welcome to Polk's forum. What are you using for your source components? A dvd player? Or, a cable converter box? What's providing the incoming information to the TV?
    Regards, Ken
  • colindo
    edited May 2014
    I am using a sky box mostly, and when I watch a movie it is from either Blu-Ray player or USB stick via TV.
    Should the movie saved on USB stick be DD5.1 format? Or something else?
  • [Deleted User]
    edited May 2014
    Thanks for the information. Is it that you're not hearing any sound at all, or that you're not getting much surround sound information but there is audio coming from the speaker?
    Ken
  • colindo
    edited May 2014
    There is good audio quality coming out but not very effective surround sound, if any.
  • [Deleted User]
    edited May 2014
    I understand. Can you describe where the speaker is positioned with respect to the listening position? Is it above the TV or below or right underneath it? Are there any large wall surfaces beside the speaker? How far away are you from the speaker?
  • colindo
    edited May 2014
    The sub is in a corner along side the TV stand. the surroundbar sits on the TV stand, in front and below the TV screen.
    We are about 3mtr. (10 foot) away. The TV stand is in the corner of the room, so there is walls either side.
  • [Deleted User]
    edited May 2014
    The walls could be limiting the amount of surround sound information you are perceiving. The SurroundBar uses the way our hearing mechanism uses right and left audio clues to locate sound sources in front of us. Using Polk's SDA technology there are speaker components that produce a spatial signal that when combined with the "normal" right and left signal give us an impression of sounds originating from different locations.
    The side walls cause reflections of these spatial signals and dilute the surround sound ability. As a test, can you move the speaker forward even a few feet, maybe rest it on a chair in front of the TV and see if the sound field changes?
    Regards, Ken
  • colindo
    edited May 2014
    I wonder if the audio settings from the TV is set correct?
    It is set to digital audio out, audio format is PCM. there is no other choice.
    Is this correct?
  • [Deleted User]
    edited May 2014
    Hello,
    You'll want either stereo or Dolby Digital for best performance, not PCM. If you can't change the digital output it might be best to use a right and left stereo signal.
    Ken
  • colindo
    edited May 2014
    Thanks Ken for your help,

To simplify things I have connected my blu-ray player to the Polk 5000 via optical cable. I played a DVD with a choice of dolby digital 2.0 and dolby digital 5.1.
    I tried both choices and they sound the same. Is this to be expected?
    Is the Polk surroundbar 5000 just stereo?
  • [Deleted User]
    edited May 2014
    Hello,
    That is correct, it is a stereo speaker system with spatial enhancement.
    Ken
  • lilylily608
    lilylily608 Posts: 15
    edited May 2014
    I understand,thanks!